Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mendocino_rose

Look Up!

mendocino_rose
9 years ago

Spring is really coming on now. I've been walking around in a state of perpetual wonder. Here's some photos of exciting climbers.
This is a small part of the white Banksia, which only blooms in a warm dry spring.
{{gwi:246255}}

Here are Rev d'Or and Climbing General MacArthur.
{{gwi:246256}}

Beautiful Belle of Portugal. It's hard to see it's size in this photo.
{{gwi:246257}}
Here's climbing Devoniensis looking down from the top of the pergola.
{{gwi:246258}}
Last but not least wonderful immense climbing Gruss An Achen.
{{gwi:246259}}

Comments (20)

• sidos_house
    9 years ago

How beautiful! I love your ramblers, Menocino Rose, esp. Belle, Devon, and Gruss An A.

Have you ever posted about how you prepare a place for planting a rambler? Are all of yours in areas where they receive regular watering?

They're gorgeous. I so enjoy when you post pictures from your garden.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Please share LOTS of photos!

I hope that you have a spring flush tour some day.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Wonderful and inspirational. I hope one day to have at least parts of my garden roofed and walled with roses.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Gorgeous--if I were lingering in your gardens, I certainly would look up! Wouldn't help in mine since most of mine aren't tall enough (and this polar winter will not make any of them taller, will it!)

Thanks for sharing your beauties.

Kate

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Glorious! Makes me want to sing away my lunch break!

jannike

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Wow! Amazing roses. Like a Chihuly exhibit in the garden. Have you ever grown Emanuella de Mouchy? Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

My gosh, Pam, they're all exquisite! You must be in seventh heaven right now. Climbing Gruss an Aachen against the blue sky is such a beautiful sight. After your fears about a drought-stricken spring and summer I'm so delighted that it didn't come about. None of us can afford to lose your garden!

Ingrid

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

My gosh, Pam, they're all exquisite! You must be in seventh heaven right now. Climbing Gruss an Aachen against the blue sky is such a beautiful sight. After your fears about a drought-stricken spring and summer I'm so delighted that it didn't come about. None of us can afford to lose your garden!

Ingrid

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

Wonderful pics, Gruss is one of my favorites for a pink blend bloom.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Magnificent, Pamela! Thank you for being wondrous and sharing! Kim

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. Ingrid I am in seventh heaven. I'm still going to have to be careful with watering.
    Kippy I actually used to have an open garden party every year. It's a huge amount of work that I can't do by myself anymore.We are now working with a charity that sponsors an orphanage in Haiti. They put on the open garden last year and want to do it every other year.
    Sidos, there is an article in Rosa Mundi(published by the Heritage Rose Foundation) this year about the ramblers. I plant them as I do other roses, grown up into a 5 gallon pot. I fertilize with pelleted chicken manure and feather meal with compost on top. Some are freestanding some on fences. Others we built rebar supports. Don't put Climbing Gruss An Achen on a pillar as i did. It grows like you wouldn't believe.

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

Pam, I would be surprised if you don't go to bed every night with a crick in your neck from all of the rose gazing you must do. How lovely it all is. :) Gean

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I get a really bad crick from pruning Gean!

• Rosefool/Karen 8b, central Texas
    9 years ago

Is there a spot among these blooms for a hammock or a nice lounge chair? That's where I'd be!

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Just lovely! No other word suits it so well.

• richard
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, Pam. Thanks for posting. In particular that Belle Portugaise, just wow.

• zjw727
    9 years ago

Devoniensis- how beautiful!

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

I never knew Belle Portugaise was so pink!!! Thank you for posting photos, your garden looks wonderful.

Lux

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Ramblers are amazing sights to behold. I love that Belle Portugaise. Sigh
    I hope it's a wet winter this year.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

As always, an inspiration. Thanks Pamela for your beautiful photos. I am so glad I had 2 opportunities to visit your garden. Wonderful memories.

Diane