Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look Up!

Posted by mendocino_rose z8 N CA. (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 9:17

Spring is really coming on now. I've been walking around in a state of perpetual wonder. Here's some photos of exciting climbers.
This is a small part of the white Banksia, which only blooms in a warm dry spring.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Here are Rev d'Or and Climbing General MacArthur.

Beautiful Belle of Portugal. It's hard to see it's size in this photo.
Here's climbing Devoniensis looking down from the top of the pergola.
Last but not least wonderful immense climbing Gruss An Achen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look Up!

How beautiful! I love your ramblers, Menocino Rose, esp. Belle, Devon, and Gruss An A.

Have you ever posted about how you prepare a place for planting a rambler? Are all of yours in areas where they receive regular watering?

They're gorgeous. I so enjoy when you post pictures from your garden.

o

Please share LOTS of photos!

I hope that you have a spring flush tour some day.

o

Wonderful and inspirational. I hope one day to have at least parts of my garden roofed and walled with roses.

o

Gorgeous--if I were lingering in your gardens, I certainly would look up! Wouldn't help in mine since most of mine aren't tall enough (and this polar winter will not make any of them taller, will it!)

Thanks for sharing your beauties.

Kate

o

Glorious! Makes me want to sing away my lunch break!

jannike

o

Wow! Amazing roses. Like a Chihuly exhibit in the garden. Have you ever grown Emanuella de Mouchy? Carol

o

My gosh, Pam, they're all exquisite! You must be in seventh heaven right now. Climbing Gruss an Aachen against the blue sky is such a beautiful sight. After your fears about a drought-stricken spring and summer I'm so delighted that it didn't come about. None of us can afford to lose your garden!

Ingrid

o

My gosh, Pam, they're all exquisite! You must be in seventh heaven right now. Climbing Gruss an Aachen against the blue sky is such a beautiful sight. After your fears about a drought-stricken spring and summer I'm so delighted that it didn't come about. None of us can afford to lose your garden!

Ingrid

o

Wonderful pics, Gruss is one of my favorites for a pink blend bloom.

o

Magnificent, Pamela! Thank you for being wondrous and sharing! Kim

o

Thank you everyone. Ingrid I am in seventh heaven. I'm still going to have to be careful with watering.
Kippy I actually used to have an open garden party every year. It's a huge amount of work that I can't do by myself anymore.We are now working with a charity that sponsors an orphanage in Haiti. They put on the open garden last year and want to do it every other year.
Sidos, there is an article in Rosa Mundi(published by the Heritage Rose Foundation) this year about the ramblers. I plant them as I do other roses, grown up into a 5 gallon pot. I fertilize with pelleted chicken manure and feather meal with compost on top. Some are freestanding some on fences. Others we built rebar supports. Don't put Climbing Gruss An Achen on a pillar as i did. It grows like you wouldn't believe.

o

Pam, I would be surprised if you don't go to bed every night with a crick in your neck from all of the rose gazing you must do. How lovely it all is. :) Gean

o

I get a really bad crick from pruning Gean!

o

Is there a spot among these blooms for a hammock or a nice lounge chair? That's where I'd be!

o

Just lovely! No other word suits it so well.

o

Gorgeous, Pam. Thanks for posting. In particular that Belle Portugaise, just wow.

o

• Posted by zjw727 Coastal Oregon Zone (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 12:51

Devoniensis- how beautiful!

o

I never knew Belle Portugaise was so pink!!! Thank you for posting photos, your garden looks wonderful.

Lux

o

Ramblers are amazing sights to behold. I love that Belle Portugaise. Sigh
I hope it's a wet winter this year.

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 21:50

As always, an inspiration. Thanks Pamela for your beautiful photos. I am so glad I had 2 opportunities to visit your garden. Wonderful memories.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here