Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help...something is damaging my roses

Posted by vintage_roses 7a/b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 10:01

I have noticed this problem for the past two weeks and it seems to be getting worse. I have been spraying Bayer disease control every week, to build up the immunity, and then I was going to continue with a every two week spraying regimen. I am wondering if this is damage from the spray (it's also been hot hear in the upper 80's), or if this is something else. I have fertilized them, but it was about 2 months ago. I have also notice mole/vole tunnels in my rose beds. Please help! It's much appreciated...

As far as the blooms go, they are all normal, it's the leaves that show damage. New growth hasn't shown any damage so far. The leaves start out with a yellow and the leaves end up turing brown around the edges. This is occurring on most of my roses...
Here are the pictures:

IMGP4694

IMGP4680

new growth looking healthy
IMGP4683

IMGP4686

IMGP4692

Thanks so much!
Emma G.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help...something is damaging my roses

It is almost surely a nutritional deficiency, probably magnesium if it is on the older rather than new leaves. Magnesium can be supplied by Epsom Salts, 2 TB per plant. However the deficiency can be caused partly by high soil pH or an excess of some other nutrient such as potassium. You might want to get a soil test.

o

Here is a picture showing the "Christmas Tree" pattern of magnesium deficiency. It is interveinal chlorosis with some green remaining between the yellow and the vein itself.

Dr. Malcolm Manners says boron can cause the same symptom if the soil is acid, so a pH check is called for.

Here is a link that might be useful: UF image

o

michaelg,

thanks for the quick reply....how do I get my soil tested? I will purchase the Epson salt this weekend and will treat the roses right away. Will this deficiency totally kill the rose eventually if left untreated?

o

In most states, inexpensive soil tests are available through the extension service. Look in the phone book, under the county, for "cooperative extension" or "agricultural extension." If you get a test, you can bring the results here.

I doubt it would kill the plants, but affected leaves will not function much, and the symptoms will gradually spread up the cane.

BTW the boron symptom is caused by an excess, not a deficiency, and according to Dr. Manners when pH is below 5.5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here