Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

My ancient old Le Vesuve is blooming again!

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

Another update for those of you who have been following the saga of my 90+ yr old Le Vesuve. From being a glorious amazing flower factory that was 8 ft high and 15 ft wide it suddenly declined, and was dying from the tips of its branches. I figured that since it was 90-100 yrs old it had probably come to the end of its lifespan.

However, always optimistic, last Fall my DH and I got in there and tried to prune away the dead branches (sort of like trying to prune spaghetti - the branches all went around in circles and were all laced together). Three days and many scratches later, we had discovered that 1 of the 2 main branches off the trunk, as well as a completely separate trunk nearby that seemed to be an old tip rooting, were completely dead, which took out 2/3rds of the bush. We cut out the dead parts of the remaining 1/3, but didn't have the heart to actually hard prune or shape it - we just left any branch that had signs of life.

So, of course this Spring little sprouts appeared at the ends of most of the old branches! I am happy to say that some sprouts also appeared maybe 10 inches up from the base of the old trunk. One ancient, crusty, 2 inch in diameter long long branch that was running horizontally actually started sprouting every 10 inches all along its 7 ft length (of course the deer immediately munched all of the sprouts, but I sprayed them with deer go away stuff, and they seem to be recovering). So, now it looks so funny - all of the old branches have little pom poms a the end of them - of beautiful blooms! They are really huge and gorgeous - I think I have inadvertently "pruned for fewer and larger flowers" as they tell you to do with HTs!

I figure I will leave it alone to grow and get some leaves going, and then prune it again next Fall - cutting back the long scraggly branches, and trying to encourage the growth that is closer to the ground. I does appear that it is no longer dying - roses really are amazing!

Jackie

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH