Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kansas_girl

Getting very first Austin, recommendations???

kansas.girl
9 years ago

I just started rose gardening in containers this spring and ony have on rose as of now, a Peace. I love, love, love DAs and am excited to get my first one! I want it to compliment my Peace in some way. Do you have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Boscobel or Graham Thomas. I've also heard great things about Queen of Sweeden, too.

General question, how late in the season can you plant potted roses (not bare root)? When do people usually do this? I'm in Kansas, zone 5b.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

I love Prospero, Golden Celebration, Queen Nefertiti, and Lilian Austin. I'm not in the same zone as you, so maybe someone else can chime in, but those are my favorites. I have a couple of others, but those are my favorites. I almost forgot, I love Christopher Marlowe as well, have two :) Crown Princess Magarita is pretty, but it's mainly just the spring bloom, not a great repeater.
    This is Lilian Austin.

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 11:36

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

A container plant can be planted almost any time, although I'd avoid the oven-like heat when the temps go over 100. And I don't plant them in the fall because I personally think they don't have enough time to settle in and make good roots before the winter cold hits--but others claim fall planting is possible and even desirable.

Usually the question is just the opposite--as in, how soon can I plant a container plant. I answer that in my zone 6 Kansas, the earliest I plant container plants is late April or early May--after all danger of frost has passed.

I would assume that in zone 5 Kansas, you would start planting container plants in early to mid-May--and maybe continue planting them all summer since your July-Aug. temps probably are not as brutal as they are in my zone 6 Kansas.

I would think that Graham Thomas (which is much larger) would dwarf the Peace rose and also drain it of color. Peace would look pale and under-colored next to it.

Boscobel, which is a short Austin, should make a wonderful contrast, colorwise, with Peace.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alana, that rose is beautiful!

Kate, thank you for your advice! My summers get pretty brutal, too. I'm not sure why my city is considered a 5 when I surround by 6s! In any case, I think you just solidified my desire for Boscobel! Hopefully I can add Graham Thomas at a later time.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I am not in your zone, but I think Bishops Castle is very similar in tone to have I have seen of Pink Peace. It smells wonderful and seems to do pretty well in my California heat It is taller here, between 5-6 feet tall

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

In your zone I would go for cold-hardy. Try 'Crocus Rose'.