Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Spring cleanup musings...

sunnysideuphill
12 years ago

The heavy snow cover broke quite a few canes in my two year old garden. MOst of the roses were bands in 2009, with appropriately thin canes, but the two ancient giant Therese Bugnets that I successfully moved also suffered. And the row of older roses against the trellis under the deck really took a beating.

I complained last year about the lax habit of gallica Allegra, and I think it saved her, because all the canes were lying flat, and none were broken. Last year I had used a tripod for support, only about 24" tall, and it was inadequate. So yesterday I put in a green painted fleur de lis topped fan shaped thing, about 30" high, that I got at Ocean State Job Lot for $9. I set in above the rose, and tied the canes to it, pruning the longest canes so that the whole thing looks kind of espaliered. There were a half dozen smaller canes breaking from the base of the longer ones, so this has potential to be quite a sight when she blossoms.

The giant Alba and Polareis by the driveway suffered damage from the bucket loader when the massive snow banks had to be cut back; I'm going to tackle those this evening...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm