Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoad

Belle Portugaise - is there a repeat bloomer that looks like her?

twinkletoad
11 years ago

From my understanding Belle Portugaise is mainly a once bloomer. Is there another rose that looks like her but has a repeat bloom habit? When I saw photos of this rose, I felt weak in the knees!! Absolutely ethereal!

Comments (9)

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

The tea rose 'Susan Louise' is said to resemble 'Belle Portugaise', and it is a repeat bloomer. You might give it a try.

Rosefolly

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

The closest I can think of at the moment is a seedling of 'Belle Portugaise' named 'Susan Louise'. See the HMF link below.

If you're looking for something else in the same genre, search for other Hybrid Giganteas on HMF. Generally, first-generation crosses are mostly once-blooming, but as with 'Susan Louise', second-generation Hybrid Giganteas often repeat if their other parent also repeated.

Rosa gigantea is the likely ancestor of Teas which was bred into Chinas, imparting its larger flowers and more robust growth. Some hybridizers have crossed Rosa gigantea back into Teas to further accentuate the features of that species ancestor into the Hybrid Giganteas. I agree, they are gorgeous, but I don't live where I can comfortably grow them.....yet!

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Susan Louise' at HMF

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! Susan Louise is very pretty! That's a great idea to search Hybrid Giganteas. I'm new to the forums and still learning how to best utilize the tools. I thought about Blossomtime, the large flowered climber, and Climbing Ophelia, too. Oh, those big soft pink blooms!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

It doesn't resemble BP, but if you like Ophelia, you'll probably like Cl. Columbia. Intensely fragrant, large, very full flowers and virtually thornless. It repeats spring through fall, too. Kim

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Marchioness of Londonderry is a beautiful rose with a wonderful fragrance; mine repeats well.

• luxrosa
    11 years ago

Susan Louise' is similar to Belle Portugaise, but more blowsy and more pink, with rose-red on the guard petals and pale to light pink in the next row inwards, then creamy pink and cream towards the center.
    Susan Louise is one of only a few climbing roses that produce a full bloom cycle ( as large as the spring flush) every season of the year, near San Francisco, Ca and in December. It is evergreen and always pretty.

'Albertine' is another climbing rose with pink and peach and salmon hues, and the blossoms are of a similar size to Belle Portugaise. Albertine is a Pernetiana-Wich cross that has a full bloom cycle in spring and in autumn, here, produces c. 33% of the spring bloom production. I perceive Albertine as being more fragrant than Susan Louise. I had an Albertine in a large pot for many years and it bloomed 4 times a year! once fully, and then lighter flushes between 20% to 40% of the spring flush.
    In the pot it stayed at c. 5 and 1/2 feet tall.
    I have it in the ground now and doubt it will bloom as often, I believe the fertilizer to square foot of canopy ratio made it bloom more often in the pot.
    We'll see though, it is now budding up for its' first flush of the year, in late April.
    In England 'Albertine' was a popular rose for many years, I love it far more than 'Compassion' , though Compassion' blooms in spring, summer and autumn, here.

Lux.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marchioness of Londonderry is a beauty- and thornless according to helpmefind?

I have never heard of Cl. Columbia until now. It looks like one that is overlooked but I can't imagine why- it's stunning! I must do more research on this one...

luxrose, thank you for all of the detailed info! Albertine, indeed, looks like a worthy choice. I have to ask what qualities make you love it "far more" than Compassion?

The one drawback to Susan Louise is perhaps her alleged lack of strong fragrance (well, a drawback for me personally).

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Marchioness does have thorns, but is not heavily covered in thorns. I love the fragrance of this rose, a refined, sweet scent.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

I dearly love my Albertine but it never repeated for me. Perhaps its too warm here.