Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Princess Alexandra of Kent Growth habit?

Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 11:49

What's the growth habit of this one in a mild climate? Anyone know? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Princess Alexandra of Kent Growth habit?

Interesting you should ask. I just bought this one last weekend along with Munstead Wood x2 and Crown Princess Margaretta.

I was wondering as well. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase and I have a nice pot I put it in, so hopefully it doesn't get too hairy. I found this whole bush shot of one, but I'm unsure of where it was grown. It strikes me more as a Lady Emma Hamilton type of grower...small, tidy, compact, but obviously you are in SoCal and your roses get enormous.

Here is a link that might be useful: PAK

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 13:46

thanks jeffcat.

My LEH is big and sprawly... 8^0 My only petite Austins are Wife Of Bath, Jubilee Celebration, English Garden, and the ever-sickly Fair Bianca. Everything else is BIG.

o

PAK stays on the small side here in Pasadena. I'd say Bolero size, if that helps.

Kay

o
RE: -Princess Alexandra of Kent Growth habit?

Haha yea, I think your roses have hormones in the soil. Your roses seem to be among the largest of anybody's where as the alkaline clay soil and winter here in NW Ohio tends to slow things down. My Evelyn is on year 3 now and about 3x3ft which is a far cry from yours.

I could also see PAK growing similar to Jubilee Celebration though in size. It's supposed to be a rather smaller Austin and well mannered in growth.

o

That pic of princess alexandra is taken at the DA gardens in albrighton. I can't comment on your zone, but can tell you which austins it is a similar size to. It is a tad smaller than Munstead wood and princess ann. Way smaller than any of the leander group, so abe darby, crown princess marg, grace etc. It is my favourite one of his, definitely like some of his newer releases. It flowers in flushes and the flowers appreciate a bit of shade.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 22:44

Thanks Kay, I have 'Bolero' it's less than 5' after many years, so that gives me an idea PA of K won't get monster-sized.

Thanks caldonbeck, if it appreciates a bit of shade in the UK, it will need some shade here.

I ordered 'Munstead Wood' and 'Snow Goose' as well. Sometimes a person just needs a few new roses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here