Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

anyone growing Portlands in the Southeast?

So I received the following from RU...some of which are considered Portlands some HPs, some Damasks...categories seem to vary among the categorizers!
Indigo
Rose de Rescht
Arthur Sansal
Sydonie
These roses are breaking my heart they are so damn gorgeous!!!
Real floppers though...Will the canes mature and strengthen/thicken or will they need support?
The shades in these roses are just amazing. And the fragrance!
Please, please tell me they are not going to get that nasty rusty cruddy stuff that my once blooming damasks got last year?
Please (even if it's a lie)....
Susan

Comments (7)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I've got Sydonie. 2nd year in the ground. Nothing floppy like last year. The foliage looks floppy but that's just the way it is. One of the few roses that wasn't bothered by last weeks freeze. For a two year old bush, I think it looks pretty good. Should be in bloom in about 3 wks. Probably 8/12 blooms. I'd keep it in a 3 gal pot the first year to get a good root system under it.

• ffff
    10 years ago

Rose de Rescht is upright for me, even in limited sun, but I've got Sydonie in 3 places, have grown it for several years, and it's always an arching sort of plant for me, with occasional branches that hug the ground. Since my clone of Sydonie is utterly thornless (other than the underside of rachis), it doesn't bother me. Whether its growing habit would be different in the SE than in the west, I have no idea.

I gave Glendora (on Fortuniana rootstock) to a relative in southern AL, and it's upright there, and doing well.

• hartwood
    10 years ago

I'm glad that ffff mentioned Glendora, because it's my favorite of the class. Virtually identical in habit to Sydonie, with darker pink flowers.

Arthur de Sansal is a dog in my garden. Even with fungicide, he blackspots and has been growing backward since I planted him in 2009. I haven't looked, so I don't know if he made it through this winter ... I'm kind of hoping that he didn't.

In my garden, Indigo is short and it suckers with wild abandon. I have it in a place where this is welcome. It's a consideration for you.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been trying to find Glendora, larger than a band but can't seem to get my hands on it. I hope Arthur does well here. He is gorgeous....today! I love Indigo (and keep forgetting it suckers!). I really like the Portlands and I am hoping they are healthy here with good repeat.
    Here is a bloom of Indigo today flopping over onto boxwood...
    Susan

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

You have blooms?

Dang.

Count your garden a zone warmer than mine this past winter.

Rose de Rescht won't get tall here, and if you're lucky and your soil is right, it will sucker nicely but not aggressively.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    10 years ago

Portlands are one of my favorite class of roses. Most stay compact and repeat bloom well with great damask fragrance. I grow them no-spray. If they flop for you, I'd prune them a bit harder (when dormant, before leafed out) to keep them self-supporting, but when full of blooms for the first few years may need staking until they grow stronger.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you all. Ann, this rose came from the NRS sale. So, no "real" blooms yet except what I posted in the other thread. Everything sure is budded though! HOw about you?
    Susan