Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

don't be afraid to mingle your roses...

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

Warning - this might not work in a humid climate. However, in our warm/hot dry summer climate, I have been growing roses all mingled & mixed up for years. Mostly it is the roses' idea - they just grow all over each other, and I let them. Not much planning on my part, and not much work done to keep them apart.

Some gardens are laid out exquisitely, so that each vignette is a perfect picture, and each rose stands alone in its part of the picture. Not mine - my philosophy is sort of "the more, the merrier", and I plant what I take a fancy to without much thought as to the results. If what I plant dies, it dies, which makes more room for the latest acquisition. With old roses, luckily most of the colors do not clash (although I must admit that planting Grandmother's Hat right next to Niles Cochet was not my best idea).

Just wanted to let the newbies know that, if you live in a reasonably dry climate, your roses will not die if you "horrors!" let them touch each other. Here is a pic of the roses and clematis on our side fence I just took that illustrates this.

Jackie

Comments (26)

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another part of the garden yesterday.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I have to admit the mixture in the first picture would be a bit much for me, although I'm sure it works perfectly in your fairy-tale garden. The second picture is absolutely stunning, though, and just breathes happiness and charm. I may have asked this before, but what is that beautiful pink rose in the foreground?

I imagine the abundant rain you've had has a lot to do with the feeling of abundance in your garden. Your many companion plants add so much to the overall picture.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ingrid - the pink rose in the foreground, I finally figured out after 20 years of not knowing, is Cl American Beauty. When we moved in here it was growing in 3 different places, mostly in deep shade. It truly is a once bloomer, even in full sun, but I love it. Here is a closer picture of it (mingled with Opal Brunner).

Yes, I think the rain after 13 moths of no rain did something to the roses - they are all going crazy with bloom.

Jackie

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Jackie, the interwoven roses are incredible! I hope my jumble regrows into something like yours. I'm currently rearranging almost all my roses and have packed them in for co-mingling and maximum spillage. Your garden is so enchanting! Victorian house with turret, rose covered fences--do your neighbors all pause on their walks and gather at your gate? Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

They're really beautiful, Jackie! I like to let mine grow into each other too sometimes. I do have to be a little more careful because of mildew and black spot here in humid central but like you said, sometimes the roses just make the decision for you, lol!

• mariannese
    10 years ago

My friend Anki's garden is a riot of mingled roses and not unlike many Swedish rose gardens, including mine. Perhaps it is a cultural trait :- )

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

I love how your roses all mingle together! It's very beautiful and makes me feel like it's something I can accomplish too lol. I plan on putting Tess of duberville next to my golden celebration in the hopes that will inter mingle Thanks for the the pics and the encouragement to us newbies!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I think it is beautiful and abundant! A wonderful happy place. I've got ramblers going through climbers and climbers going up trees and stuff going on arches...
    If it's vertical something is growing up and over it!
    What perennials do you grow?
    Susan

• justkristyj
    10 years ago

What a joyful tumble of beauty you have planted.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

I love your style! Yours is an inspiration; beautiful!!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

I love the colors mingled together, so lovely!

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I love it Jackie. Your garden is such a loved and happy place. I always say kudos to the brave gardener.

10 years ago

mariannse, your friend's garden is spectacular, a feast for the eyes, and all those old roses must be so fragrant.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mariannese - I agree with Ingrid - that garden looks wondrous.

Susan - too many perennials to list. Many many old huge flowering bushes planted 100 years ago, including camellias and hydrangeas & rhododendrons. Lots of hydrangeas planted by me, tons of bulbs, etc. 6-7 kinds of iris. Lots & lots of hellebores in the shady places. In this pic from 2 days ago you can see the daisy ground cover (there is also vinca minor in there - it dominates when it is cooler & shadier, and the daisies when it is sunnier), iris, ixia, and tons of volunteer Valerian (Jupiter's Beard).

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of my garden is full of plants intertwining, but I do grow one perennial as a sort of specimen plant in its own brick bed - Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow (brunfelsia). I think you can only grow it in warm climates.

Jackie

• true_blue
    10 years ago

More like a secret garden, wild, full of color and heavenly. Just lovely....

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Jackie,

Really appreciate seeing your bit of heaven and for supporting my belief that plants should mingle, not be in regimented rows.

I planted a wall of climbers a while back and thought I'd planted them way too close but now after seeing your results I'm glad. Please let me know if you ever have an open garden.

Diane

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

Jackie, your garden always reminds me of the garden of Sleeping Beauty, that I imagined when I was a child.
    Well kept of course.
    Daisy

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

This is my kind of garden. Gorgeous and abundant. If you have more pictures, I hope you will share them with us

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Jackie, I was just enjoying the 'Yesterday Today Tomorrow' at Descanso yesterday. I think I need one.

I kind of like the all together look too

There are 6 roses in this photo plus the Santa Barbara Daisy hedge and a bit of Lavender (and some weeds)
    {{gwi:248431}}

• roseteacher
    10 years ago

I love your cottage garden looks. They are so beautiful. I think a cottage garden gives a feeling of peace and comfort.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kippy - who are the 6 roses? I see white, dark pink, and medium pink? Are the very dark pink ones scented?

Sidos-House - I will post 2 final pics I took yesterday - the weird weather we had seems to have made all of the roses and flowers bloom extra, and all at once!

Here is a pic I took through my back porch window, of our side fence completely eaten by several roses (I planted them to block out the neighbor's old garage which is 2 feet from our fence). You can't see it anymore from the ground, but of course my back porch is on the second story, so you can see it still.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other side of our front garden out by the sidewalk.

Jackie

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

That is glorious, Jackie. It makes me feel happy.

Some day mine will look like that too. Probably when I am hobbling around with my cane. But still -- someday!

Thank you so much!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Jackie, from left to right in the photo (and the bed)

Grandmothers Hat
    Crocus Rose (front and a cane climbing on the left)
    James Galoway (bigger climber in the center)
    Young Lycidas
    Perfume Delight (light pink in the back)
    Reine des Violettes

not visable is Lady of Meggench (front) and JC's Rose (between) on the Grandmother's Hat side of the photo

10 years ago

Jackie, with all those gorgeous roses the neighbor's garage looks quaint rather than ugly!

Ingrid