Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Pink-Crimson-Mauve Old Roses for Raleigh?

Last fall, I moved from SE PA to the Raleigh area, and now I am learning to garden all over again, LOL.

So many things are different here (I fried my second batch of tomato seedlings this morning because I tried to treat them the same as I would in PA).

Hubby just built me a little picket fence at the corner of the house in an area that gets lots of sun, and I would love to put some roses there.

I am looking for a rose that would get about 6 feet tall and wide, bloom constantly, and have that petal-packed look of a Bourbon or older Hybrid Perpetual. I am hoping to find rose that won't fade to white in the heat, and therefore would need to start out as a dark pink, crimson, or purplish color.

I don't plan to spray for disease, but they don't have to maintain perfect health, because I can probably plant something in front of them.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• luxrosa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I live in California near San Francisco, these roses stand out for me for disease resistance and beauty, and lack of fading. If any rose sounds good to you, you might ask someone who grows it locally if it is a no-spray candidate where you live.
    The only roses that I've grown that bloom nearly constantly are of the China or Old Garden Tea classes and since you're looking for a different form of bloom I've omitted those.

I've listed roses that produce 3-4 bloom cycles each year, in our climate, (which is also the average bloom rate for Hybrid Teas, for comparison) and do not fade to white here in California when the temperatures get into the high 80's, all are grown in my no-spray garden, except for Arrilaga:
    1. Blossomtime ( mid-1900's) a descendant of New Dawn which re-blooms far far better than N.D. in our region. Medium pink. Shapely blooms.
    sold as a climber but it can be grown as a self supporting shrub, of 5'+ by 6-7 feet wide, as it has a stocky growth habit when not supported. I have one in the front yard, grown that way. It is also very fragrant and floriferous. hortico.com sells it.
    2. Arrilaga' has a good re-bloom rate for an H.P., it has large cabbage shaped blooms with a spiral in the center which makes for a very impressive bloom. On rootstock it can grow to be nearly six feet tall.
    here its' grown with an eastern exposure with afternoon shade, where it retains its light to medium pink hue. I've often stopped in my tracks to stand in wonder at its' beauty.
    3. 'Glendora' a wonderful Portland/H.P. that has very pretty deep pink blooms with a strong scent. The blossoms never fade , and the plant has attractive foliage. I do wish the roses would not shatter so quickly on hot days, however. It's grown to be 5 and 1/2 feet tall with no support in my front yard. I've seen it grow to be taller than 6 feet in a local garden.
    3. Grandmothers Hat' is a medium pink H.P. that fades to light pink in full sun in hot weather, here. It can be grown as a 5' shrub, which will cause it to re-bloom more often each year than when it is grown as a ten foot climber. Nice fragrance too. The color can fade a bit in hot weather, I suggest planting it where it will receive a couple hours of shade in the afternoon, to retain its color better.
    It is a wonderful rose, really special. I've seen several 5 and 1/2 tall 'Grandmothers Hat's planted in a row along a pathway, which makes for a very pretty landscape.

1. I'm madly in love with 'Gloire des Rosomanes' a cherry red Bourbon with the lively white streaks of a China rose. It uplifts my heart whenever I see it. It does not have the typical cabbage or cupped bloom form of an H.P. or Bourbon, but is more blowsy like unto a China class rose but like a China it has a good re-bloom rate. I love its spicy scent. It has an attractive growth habit, c. 6 feet tall with a spread a bit wider. Never fades where I live.

Best wishes finding a rose that you adore.
    Lux.

P.S. helpmefind.com/roses has photos of each.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for giving me a place to start, Lux. I know others have asked this same question a billion times before.

I found some other possibilities, too. Can anyone tell me how often the following will bloom in North Carolina?

Glendora, Maggie, Louis Van Houtte, Duke of Edinburgh, Ardoisee de Lyon, Gruss an Teplitz, Climbing Don Juan, Mrs B R Cant

Thanks!

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    7 years ago

I'm in Durham. Maggie seems to do quite well here. Mine is still small, in its second year, but I got it because they had an amazing one at Duke Gardens, in a no spray garden. I'm pleased with mine so far and excited to see how it grows.

One rose on my list of larger HPs that are red is Hugh Dickson, you might look into that. How are your roses so far?

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hey I don't live in NC I live in SC. I stay away from anything that is susceptible to mildew or balling. We are high in rain and humidity in my neck of the woods. That will rule a couple out and I will let someone else chime in about something that will continuous bloom for you, but will say Hybrid Perpetuals bloom in flushes, and for me, only with lots of water and food, so it will not be continual. Good luck!

PS. I love the once bloomers, so also why I can't help with the rebloom..I hope you find something you like...here is a picture to entice you to the once bloomers :)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!