Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Graham Thomas, zone 5?

sunnysideuphill
13 years ago

Hello all,

I have a Graham Thomas band from Rogue Valley that I would like to give my daughter who lives in Shirley, MA. She has no gardening experience but her husband is building her a raised bed for vegetables, and she is game to try.

Is GT an easy one? I know she is trying to be as organic as possible, so disease resistance is important. I will help her pick a site, probably GT will spend the summer in a pot, and go into his new home in the fall. Helpmefind has some serious large dimensions at the top end of the sizes - my guess is that those are probably not in NEw England?

Any input welcome, thank you!

Comments (8)

• jerome
    13 years ago

My sister in Illinois grew GT very successfully until RRD killed it. But the winters there did not seem to bother it. I believe the winters there would be even harsher than in MA...but I am not certain.

• lovemysheltie
    13 years ago

I grow all my roses organically, and I have Graham Thomas too. He is cane hardy and this year did not have any winter kill at all. He doesn't get enormous here but isn't puny either. Throws out some nice long canes in summer.

I'm not sure about him going into the ground in Fall. I can't speak for MA but here in Chicago it's probably best for roses to be in their designated garden spot in the ground before the cold weather sets in. I try not to plant in the ground after August.

• kinglemuelswife
    13 years ago

I grow GT and it's one of my favorites. I found that it wilted in hot sun and revived in the mid-afternoon shade, so I moved it to an east-facing spot, up again our brick house. It is doing very well. I wouldn't say GT blooms prolifically, but it does so steadily and the flowers are beautiful here. My other DAs get a fair bit of BS toward the end of summer, but so far GT is pretty free of any problems. Hope that helps.

• sayhellonow
    13 years ago

I've grown GT also for several years now, and I love it. It will grow to be a huge rose if you let it, up to 7' high, and blooms all summer.

Something I do that always brings compliments, is to grow a clematis vine through it. I have The President, a large blue flower, growing through my GT. When one is in bloom, the other may not be, and when they bloom at the same time it's a gorgeous sight to behold.

• seil zone 6b MI
    13 years ago

GT is a great rose for a beginner! Mine is vigorous and very winter hardy with no protection. Mine has gotten quite tall so I put it on a trellis and curve the canes down to get even more bloom on it. Lovely color, lovely form and lovely scent!

• karenforroses
    13 years ago

I grow Graham Thomas here in Northern Michigan and he is quite hardy. Lovely rose.

• veilchen
    13 years ago

Nice rose. Not one of the hardiest Austins but hardy in zone 5. Not cane hardy, may have to be pruned quite short after winterkill, but will bounce right back.

I agree with lovemysheltie. Plant the rose this spring or summer rather than in the fall so the roots can establish. Otherwise you may find GT not so hardy come next spring!

• sc_gardener
    12 years ago

No problems in zone 5. Mine just went through a -14F winter with cane death only at the tips. Most austins are very hardy in zone 5 for me. Minimal disease problems as well here.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone