Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

photobucket takes too long

cweathersby
13 years ago

Is there any other site we can link pictures from?

Comments (18)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

What about it takes too long?

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Uploading pictures, editing pictures, etc. I'm on a really fast connection but it takes minutes to load each picture.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

I have a flickr account as well as photobucket.

Sometimes I've had that problem with photobucket also, but I think it was related to how busy the site was at the time I was trying to use it. Photos being edited took until the next day to be saved sometimes. I'm pretty inept computer-wise but finally decided it wasn't me. All the time, anyway, lol.

• jerijen
    13 years ago

I've never had a problem uploading photos to Photobucket.

Now, I just uploaded last night a 250 MB video of the Sacramento City Cemetery.
    THAT took an hour.
    But photos go quickly.

One problem might be that you are uploading very high resolution files?
    I reduce my high-resolution images to perhaps 3-5 inches at the largest diameter, and no more than 150 psi. Those go up quickly, and look fine.

Jeri

• silverkelt
    13 years ago

Use something like photoshop, I load it there, reduce the file image to about 35% of the original, then upload, that way you do not have to edit..

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah,
    I'm resizing them as we speak.
    But I would rather compress the sizes down as part of the edit- and keep the big sizes on my computer, you know?
    Is there a photo sharing site that loads big pics quickly then you can compress them to post onto sites?

I even tried copying the folder with big sizes in it then resizing a folder so I would be able to keep the big sized pictures.. It didn't work.

For now, though, here's what I've loaded. Got about 75 pics to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: my photobucket

• linrose
    13 years ago

If you have Microsoft Office it comes with Microsoft Office Picture Editor where you can edit your photos quickly and easily before you upload them to Photobucket. I just use crop to edit out stuff I don't want and then resize. Using the preset option under resize I click the Predefined width x height button and choose 'Web large' which makes it simple to get it to 640 x 480 pixels (I think 800 x 600 is the max Photobucket allows). Then I go to 'Save As' in the file menu and pick a name and location for the file. When I close out of Picture Editor and it asks me to save I say no and my original is still there at full size on my computer where I store all my photos, usally in the 'My Pictures' folder as well as the new cropped and resized photo. Then I can upload the new resized photo to Photobucket without having them doing the resizing. I've never had a problem with it.

• huttnem
    13 years ago

I don't know what kind of connection you have - if it is not high-speed that may be a factor. I use Flickr to upload. If you're interested see Buffinton's recent post about how to post pics to the gallery.

• jerijen
    13 years ago

But I would rather compress the sizes down as part of the edit- and keep the big sizes on my computer, you know?

*** I ALWAYS do this!
    Change the name.
    Do SAVE AS, rather than SAVE
    and add SML on the end of the name, indicating that this is the small file.

Jeri

• malibu_rose
    13 years ago

Have you tried Picasa? That's what I use. As for video, I use youtube.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Well I am so ancient I can remember taking film to the drug store to be developed and it took days to get the pictures back. And you did not see the pictures before you paid to have them printed! That was in the dark olden days of like 1991. My how times have changed, eh? ;)

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I second the Picasa recommendation: Here, this picture of a decorative sepal took just seconds to post.
    {{gwi:248665}}From Crested Sepals on Pink Intuition

And it allows you to click on the picture to go back to the album if you want to see more pics. Very efficient system -- those Google guys, very clever.

Kathy

• buford
    13 years ago

cw, are you using Firefox or IE? I used to have lots of problems with photo bucket taking too long and locking up, it was very frustrating. I then used the IE tab function on Mozilla and it runs much better. Also, I now have a new computer and it seems much better. It is still slower than Flickr, but I've used up all my free space on Flickr :(

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

IE.
    Thanks for the hint, Jeri, about saving it with sml behind the name. I'll do that.
    Resizing it speeds things up greatly, but I'm still having to load 3 pictures at a time which is kind of ridiculous.
    More than 3 locks it up.
    I think I'll try one of the other sites.
    Thanks, guys!
    Carrie

• jill_perry_gw
    13 years ago

I also recommend picasa if you're using a PC. It does the file resizing for you when it uploads, so you don't have to. And you keep your original full size pics on the computer, without having to Save as...

Jill

• michele8132
    13 years ago

I downloaded picasa, I created a web album, but I still don't understand how to get a picture from there to here. Could you please provide a specific instruction?

Many thanks,

Michele

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Sure
    1. Go to your Picasa web albums page and get to the page with the picture you want to post. Do that in a different window or different window tab if you want to keep your gardenweb page open.
    2. On the right side of the photo album will be a statement that is blue that says "Link to this Photo." Left click on it.
    3. That will open a drop down menu with 2 options -- "link" and "embed image." I use the "embed image" option. Under the words "embed image" will be a box with computer code in it. Take your curser and put it over the box and left click such that the contents of that box are highlighted. Then you just cut and paste what's in the box into your Gardenweb post (right click over the highligted text, left click on Copy, and then find where you want to put the stuff and set your cursor there by left clicking the spot, then right click to open the menu and this time choosing Paste by left clicking it).
    4. Voila -- you're done. Preview your post to make sure it worked.

Good Luck
    Kathy

• michele8132
    13 years ago

Success! Thank you so much for the very helpful instructions! Picasa does seem to be much easier than my futile attempts with photobucket.

Michele
    (Rose is Penelope. After a rain shower) {{gwi:248666}}From roses

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022