Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Late spring photos

sherryocala
12 years ago

I've been feeling guilty about being such a non-contributor lately, so I'll make up for it in one post. Spring came very early here and then was interrupted grotesquely by thrips. That always seems like the end of the world, but it wasn't. Just a couple of days of deadheading, leaving some buds which I thought would be a big mistake but was not a mistake. They (the thrips) seem to be gone or at least not in destruction-mode. Early daylilies are just beginning, and in total, time seems to be moving in slow motion, whispering that there is so much more to come. Is every spring new, interesting, and even breathtaking, never a repeat of any that came before? I'm so glad - in a way - that I have gotten lazy and become more of an observer than a worker. Five springs into my gardening life, I've taken to wandering through it much more, fretting less, and exhausting myself less. Did I say fretting less? My fear is that I will be paying the price for this laziness down the road, but it's enjoyable now.

Puccini is new in the garden. So glad I got it. The fragrance is heavenly.

{{gwi:248728}}

Sherry Lane Carr is being her abundant, beautiful self. I divided one clump this spring and could've/should've divided the other one.

{{gwi:248729}}

Volunteer larkspur came up by the dozen. I transplanted several around the the garden so hopefully next season they'll be everywhere. The darker flower is deep purple even though my netbook monitor shows blue.

{{gwi:248731}}

Madame Abel Chatenay never disappoints and this spring has thumbed her nose at the thrips. Some flowers have a little brown on the edges but no balling. And she does have a very pleasant, light tea fragrance.

{{gwi:248733}}

{{gwi:248735}}

Buds everywhere on Mme Abel Chatenay. I renovated her bed this winter, moving her a couple of feet toward the house. I hope she'll be much happier from now on. Her show is constant and spectacular when she's happy.

{{gwi:248737}}

Lilian Austin in her second year, quite a bit smaller than I expected her to be (about 2.5'x2.5' now) with a cluster of 3 blooms on the end of each cane.

{{gwi:248739}}

Capitaine Dyel de Graville has responded beautifully to being moved into more sun. He's a lady-killer and has stolen my heart.

{{gwi:248740}}

{{gwi:248741}}

The flowers of DDdG have no white on them but apparently reflect light into the camera which was a great disappointment. Seeing those big deep pink flowers all over that still-scrappy bush was a thrill.

{{gwi:248742}}

Lauren has been blooming for quite a while in a big pot on the front circle, probably happier there than in my neutral soil.

{{gwi:248743}}

Madame Lombard is in her second year, filling out so she's not so one-sided, getting wide presumably before she gets tall. Last year I planted something in the area that has reseeded greatly and is growing up into her middle, hiding her completely from view. I wish I could remember the name of the flower. It's blue...oh, it's called nigella damascena 'Love in the Mist'. ML doesn't seem to mind.

{{gwi:248744}}

Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue' has become a total fave. It survives winter and transplanting and delayed transplanting, that is, digging it up and leaving it sitting there in a clump for weeks. It gets 3 or 4 feet tall in my garden but doesn't throw its weight around, reseeding but not spreading underground. It has become a mainstay in my garden. This spring I planted it everywhere!! BTW, it is not blue now as this photo may show but deep purple. Again this monitor doesn't show the right color. Hopefully, yours comes closer. In the heat it becomes a silver/blue/violet heavenly combination.

{{gwi:248745}}

This is Polonaise, a Buck rose. I'm afraid you're not seeing the true cherry red color, but I wanted to brag on him anyway. He's nice and bushy, and this flower has been lovely on the bush for 6 days. He got thrips, but I think he's over them and is covered with buds again.

{{gwi:248746}}

Of course, Mrs B R Cant is always worthy of boasting. She's in dead shade now that the sun is higher but she blooms still, though lighter. We'll see how she does but I've given up all thoughts of moving her or of kicking her out. She is what she is...the grand lady that no southern garden should be without.

{{gwi:248747}}

Pink Gruss an Aachen is still a scraggly plant in my garden (all 3 of them) which I have resolved to overlook. It's probably my fault. Perhaps she needs heavier feeding, but her flowers are great though not very abundant for me.

{{gwi:248749}}

Last but not least is Le Vesuve, happier I think because of his new, better watering system, but plagued by terrible dieback wherever I cut him. Admittedly, I never sanitize my pruners, but the last time I cut off his dieback I did. The result was more dieback. I don't understand. I'm also reluctant to cut him anymore. The dieback spreads down from the cut. I wonder if it will stop or spread and kill the whole bush if I don't cut it off. What a dilemma.

{{gwi:248750}}

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Comments (11)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sherry - gorgeous pictures - thanks!

Re Le Vesuve, I only cut dead parts out of mine - they eventually get to be about 8 ft tall here by 7-8 ft wide, and stand up by themselves. Could you try that? Actually, much of the dead canes are at the bottom, and the bush uses them as supports, so I don't cut those either (after I got going on them one year the bush fell over, as I had cut out its supporting foundation, so I thought better of that strategy). It is a gorgeous rose here if just left alone - just a thought.

Jackie

• annabeth
    12 years ago

I think the Capitaine was perfectly described: he is a lady-killer. I covet him now. Good job on everything!

Annabeth

• jeannie2009
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting those beautimous rose pics. Your garden is stunning. The deep rose with the purple and lavender is just lovely. Your LeVesuve is so pleasing to the eye. Thank you again.
    Jeannie

• angelajgood
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos!

Le Vesuve has been the most successful rose in my garden. It has grown to such monumental proportions that I find it frightening. I have sworn to cut it back to control it, but I tend to be a bit of a lazy gardener, so I have only threatened so far, and those thorns are enough reason to give me pause.

We had a large tree fall and smash her to bits this last winter. It was almost a relief, because I had dreaded getting near enough to prune it back, so it became much a much more manageable job. (I almost fell face first in it one time while standing on tiptoes on the brick edging to deadhead near the top, and it really shook me up.) I had my son even it up, and it doesn't seem to have slown it down one bit. It is blooming like crazy again, and I am sure that in no time it will be back up to about 8'. The real downside of the tree smash is that it left tons of tiny, dead, thorny twigs everywhere. What a pain (and painful) mess to clean up!

It blooms all summer long in rapid flushes, and almost zero blackspot-something really important since I don't spray. I also think the canes and thorns are a beautiful color-although quite scary. It's funny that when I was choosing my first roses, "thornless" was a characteristic that I didn't consider important. Oh, how our priorities change, especially with an unruly bush.

• vettin
    12 years ago

Beautiful!
    And enabling of many companion plants

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thank you, Sherry, for those gorgeous pics. I love deep pink roses. The photography is excellent, so are the plants. I'm still looking for a dark pink and fragrant rose that likes alkaline soil. Thanks again for those delightful pics.

• patricianat
    12 years ago

Sherry, your garden is fabulous. I am so jealous of your larkspur returns. My SIL who lives a few miles from you does well with them also but mine seem to live a short life and never return. Argh. She has even sewn them for me and they never make it. LOL.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Sherry, what a treat these pictures are! I do check your blog, which is always a great read, with beautiful pictures, but it's nice to see these here. I planted day lilies last spring when I saw how beautiful yours were. They had a few blooms at that time, but nothing since then and no sign of blooms now even though my irises are blooming and so are most of the roses. I did fertilize them. Am I just being too impatient? By the way, your Mme. Abel Chateney is splendid. I have no more room but I wish now I had planted this rose.

Regarding Le Vesuve's thorns, I fell into one of my bushes before falling down a hill some time ago, and I have to say its thorns are really nasty. It took months for some of the deepest cuts to heal and now I approach it with great caution. It hasn't begun to bloom much yet compared to the other tea roses in spite of fertilizing, but I think it likes being warm.

Ingrid

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, thank you, all!

Jackie, unless someone says otherwise I'm just going to leave the dieback - for now. Other roses in my garden haven't responded that way - though this spring does seem to have more dieback than previous years. Even a local friend mentioned having it in her garden.

Annabeth, I'm glad you agree. Capitaine used to be in too much shade, and he wasn't near as handsome. If I have any more failures, I know who the replacement will be. :))

Jeannie, I think you mean Lauren (the deep rose with purple and lavender). It is a pretty, little flower on the bush in the mauve color range - and hard for me to photograph because of the exploding colors - digitally, that is.

Angela, mine isn't that tall yet but is BS-free here, too, and I can see why a near fall into Le Vesuve could give you a panic attack at the remembrance of it. I didn't know about thornless roses either. How could there be such a thing as a thornless rose? But I have had several without realizing it. I only realize after working on a bush for a while, reaching in and among the canes, and then notice I'm not scratched and bloody. My worst seems to be Maman Cochet, Climbing. Big prickles on the canes and small sharp ones under the leaves. I forgot myself and did some trimming on her a few weeks ago without pruning gloves. Golly, was I sorry! I couldn't touch her without getting stuck - painfully.

Vettin, I really enjoy enabling. How convenient that you like being enabled! Glad you liked the campanions.

Strawberry Hill, my soil is neutral even though I thought for a long time that it was alkaline. But even so, I had to ditch several roses that didn't like it.

Patricia, when all those larkspur seedlings sprouted, I just thought they were weeds. Then as I was reaching to start pulling them, it dawned on me that I had one plant in that spot last spring that I grew from seeds. Rocket is the name, I think. I had plants sprout 50 feet away. Probably the seeds can't survive your winter temps, right? It was so nice to get the purple larkspur in the rose photos. For so long I've been drooling over others' roses-with-companion photos. It's a thrill to have my own.

Ingrid, I thought of you when posting the Capitaine photos since he's an SDLM sport. Do you have him? He is so gorgeous. Your daylilies may be ones that bloom mid-season or later, or maybe they're the dormant kind that needed more winter chill to be strong enough to come back. I hope it's the former and not the latter. If you get more (and I hope you will - I almost enjoy them more than the roses), try to stick to the evergreens. Semi-evergreens work, too, but lose some of their foliage in the winter - though maybe not your winters. If you remember the names, you can find out what they are here.

http://www.daylilydb.com/?script=3

Spelling counts.

Sherry

• User
    12 years ago

Top class, Sherry.
    By the way, for absolutely ages, I thought your name was Sherry O'Cala and you had a bit of the celt somewhere. Only when I saw your blog did I realse that Ocala is an actual place!
    Lovely, as always.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Campanula, that's funny. Actually, I do have the celt from one grandmother. Shiels (great grandma arrived here in 1886) and Briggs. Ocala derived its name from the Timucua indian village named "ocali" which is believed to mean "Big Hammock". We have an abundance of oaks here. Here's a bit of Florida ecology for you.

http://www.floridahorsebacktrailrides.com/Hammock%20Definition.htm

Sherry