Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariano83

ID of White Blend Rose from Argentina

nanito
10 years ago

My name is Mariano Saviello, from Buenos Aires (Argentina). In this occasion I have a white blend rose I would love to identify. It is pretty similar to those from the “Radiance”group, but scentless and very, very thorny.
Some years ago, Bruna Talodini, a retired professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Italy who is pretty interested in roses and in their history, was trying to find some information on the firm Gaetano Bonfiglioli e figlio, a breeder/nursery who worked in Bologna (the town where he lives in Italy) in XIX-XX century. Among his production there are “Variegata di Bologna”, “Clementina Carbonieri”, “Garisenda” and other lost or almost lost roses. Going through papers at the Camera di Commercio of Bologna he managed to find the story of the firm and, interestingly, he found that it had commercial interests in South America, in particular in Argentina. From 1920 to 1937 Enrico Bonfiglioli and many of his staff went here many times.
So it may well be that, besides a rose from french nurseries, in Argentina there might be also roses from Bonfiglioli, possibly lost roses of this firm. So this could be another research line to take into account, but I am really confused and it has been many years and I still cannot identify it properly.

IDENTIFICATION CARD

PLANT

-Type: Bush (it looks like an Hybrid Perpetual, similar to “Frau Karl Druschki” with Light pink buds and lack of scent, but it flowers does not agree with the white bright white flowers of the "Frau Kart Druschki" seen in the "Help Me Find" web site.

-Size: Up to 6.56”(2.00 mt) tall and 3.28”(1.00 mt) wide.

-Stems: tic, strong, rigid. The new stems have a characteristic redish colouring.

-Habit: Tall and dense bush, very very thorny.

FOLIAGE

-Shape:-

-Color: Dark green, dull (not glossy).

-Size: Big.

FLOWERS

-Features of the bud: Small light pink buds. As the buds open you can see its conic centre Light pink blended that never (or hardly ever) opens completely.

-Diameter: 4.72" x 4.72" (12 cm x 12 cm). No simmetry.

-Flower: Big, no symmetry. Very similar in appearance to varieties like "Red Radiance" or "Pink Radiance", but has no scent.

-How does it bloom?: Solitary and in posies of up to 3-4 flowers.

-How many times does it flower?: Taking into account that the rose grows in a neighboring old garden I do not have the exact information, but it has a really abundant and long lasting blooming in the fall season.

-Number of petals and shape: 36 petals.

-Stamen Yes/ No: It is impossible to apreciate them because the flower never opens completely.
- Color: White blend. Light pink centre.

-Lenght of the flower: High.

-Fragance: None to mild fragrance.

-Resistance: It seems to be a very vigorous and healthy cultivar.

THANKS in advance for your time! Mariano. {{gwi:249598}}White blend rose ID

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have you looked up Duchesse de Brabant or Mme Joseph Schwartz (a paler sport of DdB) on HMF?

Jackie

• nanito
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I took them into account, but I do not think it is this rose. Thank you so much for your answer, anyway!

Greetings from Buenos Aires Jacquline! :)

• nanito
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear esteemed members,

After more than 5 years, I am pretty sure that the pink blend rose is the white sport of “Madame Caroline Testout”, HT “Admiral Duwey” (1899). Although I have just received some pictures from the Sangerhausen, they were enough for me to identify my unknown rose as this old “Madame Caroline Testout” white sport.

I would possibly discard some other related roses, such as “Frau Dr. Krüger” since it has golden-yellow undertones, borne mostly solitary and occasional repeat later in the season. My rose does not have golden-yellow undertones, usually blooms in clusters and has a profuse fall bloom. HT “Grossherzogin Victoria Melitta” has white or white blend flowers with a yellow center and a strong fragrance, while the unknown rose has not any yellow coloring and none to mild fragrance. “Mme Gustave Metz” could have been another possibility but it is too pink, at least in my humble opinion. Furthermore, it has a long pointed form while the unknown rose is more globular. “La Favourite” was also a globular HP, related with “Mme. Caroline Testout” and its descendants, with globular form and it is a good fall bloomer (like my rose), but it has a deep rose color that turns soft pink as the rose ages.

Having said that, I am quite sure that the found rose from that old garden in BA is HT “Admiral Duwey” (John H. Taylor, 1899), although some more pictures would help me to confirm this properly. Any contribution would be highly appreciated.

Greetings from Buenos Aires!

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Mariano,
    Thanks for your posts, and congratulations on getting a convincing solution to your puzzle! I perked right up when you mentioned Bonfiglioli and figlio, as I live in Italy with Bologna a ways down the road. I'm sorry I have nothing useful to add to what you've written, but did want to express my apprecation of your detailed account; and I hope you stay in touch with the forum! I've been unusually silent lately, but that should come to an end when the roses begin blooming again. It's been a dry summer. When I think about it you guys must be just moving into spring. I wish you a green and flowering one.
    Melissa in Piacenza

• nanito
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words, Melissa! Indeed we are starting spring time here, so there will be plenty of roses to share! :)
    It is always a pleasure to stay in touch with people from other parts of the world, especially in Italy, since my grandparents came from Salerno ;)

By the way, have you visit the "Roseto botanico Carla Fineschi"? I would love to get pics of some roses grown there!

Greetings from buenos Aires!
    Mariano

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Mariano,
    I went to 'Roseto Carla Fineschi' once, it must be about nine years ago now, and spent two full days viewing the roses. It was a fabulous place, and I highly recommend a visit to any rose lover who can go. I'd like to see it again, though May, when the Roseto is at its peak, is also the height of bloom in my garden, and now I have a child in school...things like that.
    I don't have much in bloom now, but it has rained a bit and I believe I can begin my fall digging and planting. This is as much fun as actually seeing everything in flower in the spring. And I'm finally in the mood to make some plant orders, late as always. I can never get inspired to do so during the heat and drought of summer.
    Greetings from the hills of Piacenza!
    Melissa

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

That is a lovely rose Nanito. I am glad you were able to identify it.
    I was confused by your climate zone as I thought Argentina was mainly warm, but on looking it up, I see that it stretches from the tropics to the sub polar region.
    I have been looking at some wonderful photos of Argentina on Google.
    Daisy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:249596}}

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

That is a lovely rose Nanito. I am glad you were able to identify it.
    I was confused by your climate zone as I thought Argentina was mainly warm, but on looking it up, I see that it stretches from the tropics to the sub polar region.
    I have been looking at some wonderful photos of Argentina on Google.
    Daisy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:249596}}

• nanito
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Melissa, thank you so much for your words and for your introduction. I hope I can once visit the 'Roseto Carla Fineschi' :)

@Daisy, thank you for your words as well. indeed Argentina has many different places to visit, it is located in a strategic position that allows to have lots of beautiful landscapes.

Greetings from Buenos Aires! :)