Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Dead heading with a cane and scissors ....

Recently I bought a lightweight wooden cane at a thrift store for a $1.00. I thought it might help me balance as I attempt to gingerly step in and out of thickly planted rose beds where the larkspurs and other companion plants have gone crazy with thick growth due to all the rain this spring.

I'd already been using scissors with titanium blades for various garden chores because they are so sharp, and not only are they sharp but they are very low in cost. I bought three pair for less then ten dollars at Costco. Sure beats the cost of Felcos at over $40.00 a pair. $2.50 scissors I can afford to lose.

With the cane to lean on I can reach way into the rose bed. That and the long sharp blades of the scissors made dead heading a pleasure this morning. The scissors are sharp enough to cut out blind shoots and most of the dead canes inside the bushes also. If both hands are needed the cane hangs on the arm. Also the cane is handy to rattle the rose bushes so any yellow leaves fall off.

Just thought I'd pass it along. Happy gardening!

Comments (8)

• mmmgonzo
    12 years ago

Sounds like a good method for you :)

You sound like you had a wonderful day out in your garden!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

How clever! I'm always looking for something to steady myself with or hoist myself back up from my knees when I'm in the garden. I do have a couple of canes around somewhere. I'll have to try it!

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

I'm happy to hear about such a good use for a cane---thank goodness that is the only thing you need it for----

Florence

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

Good advice; thanks! Personally, for the last few years I've been looking for a really good umbrella, sturdy, one of the traditional types with a curved handle and not foldable. All-in-one protection against rain, sun, dogs and wild boars (in the country, just intimidation in the case of the boars), purse snatchers (in the city), and a handy cane and prop and, even, an accessory. It appears that nobody's making them any more, or at least they're not available in Italy. A pity.

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

Melissa, those umbrellas are definitely in England. Last night I saw a travel program on TV about London and one scene showed a view inside Harrod's Dept. Store, and there were a whole bunch of curved-handle full-size umbrellas. Probably expensive, though. I'm sure that kind of umbrella is available online.

Carol

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

Carol,
    England is exactly where I'd expect to be able find my dream umbrella, if it existed anywhere in the world. Actually I looked online but didn't find anything. I bet you Harrod's has an online catalog. If I can just find the money, it would be worth it for a really good umbrella that wouldn't blow inside out when a breeze came up, and would last me for the next twenty years (I aim high). Let me get my umbrella and I'll be ready to take off and see the world.
    Thanks for the info!
    Melissa

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I have a friend who uses one of the big beach umbrellas that you can stick in the ground. She sits under it while she works in the garden to protect herself from the sun!

• User
    12 years ago

never mind Harrods, Melissa - if anyone owes you a pressie, then check out James Smith and sons, umberella makers for 175 years. OK, they are not cheap (up to 70 - 80 pounds) but one will last a lifetime as well as truly being a thing of utter beauty. The ladies walking length (fox frame)with a leather covered handle.....OMG.