Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

How long do your roses bloom?

lavender_lass
10 years ago

I have seen several posts on Gardenweb, discussing which roses and other flowers are 'worth it' for their blooms times. I always find this a bit amusing, coming from a 3 month frost free area.

For us, six weeks is half our summer...so old roses are beautiful and appreciated. Lilacs, peonies, iris, bulbs, each flush of blooms make a special appearance and then move on to the next group.

While I do have a few roses that bloom for most of our summer, they aren't as large and the heat of July and August don't do them any favors. Smaller floribundas seem to handle it better than most...and of course the Canadian roses and Rugosas don't seem to mind much of anything! LOL

So, what roses and other flowers are best in your garden? Do you like the old once-blooming flowers? Do annuals last a long time (well longer than three to four months?) Just wondering... :)

Comments (9)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello LavLass. Here in Nashville annuals last from the time they are planted until the first hard frost (Octoberish).
    The once bloomers do ok here and should do really well considering the winter we've had.
    We have the flush of bloom too and move on. Cherry tree bloom just about gone (had a few days of heat) Daffs have been here a couple of weeks. My peonies are about 6" high right now. All the repeat roses are putting on serious new growth. No buds yet except Rose de Rescht. Clematis are starting to bud.
    The Chinas are the ones that seem to do bloom the most in the heat. And the teas. My Hybrid Musks didn't really stop until August and that was just to take a rest. Of course the old reliables like Little White Pet, Marie Pavie, Perle d'Or, Clotilde Soupert, Pom Pom de Paris, Flocon de Neige, Lovely Fairy--they bloomed all summer.
    Parade is a great "vintage modern" climber that had blossoms are summer. Ivor's Rose is a modern rose (Beales) that I just can't say enough good about. Seriously underrated! Bloomed heavily all summer in it's second year. Very old fashioned blooms. (posted a link to HMF) Very vigorous rose! Verdun and the polyanthas bloomed all summer. Heritage is a good repeat Austin here....
    forgive my stream of consciousness...
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: ivor's rose at HMF

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Susan! We have some crocus blooming :)

Your garden sounds lovely! China and tea roses must be beautiful, but they don't like our winters. With the cold winter, it seems you may have the best of both. Do you have lilacs?

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have a handful of crocus that just opened this week. Otherwise, nothing else yet. But that's not normal either. By this time I usually have daffs blooming and the forsythia are starting to open. I usually have just pruned my roses. None of that this year.

At the other end my roses will bloom into November sometimes, and even as late as Thanksgiving, but most likely they're done by Halloween. I will still have mums and asters right up to snow fall though.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

When I moved to Minnesota, I began worshiping once-bloomers. In Minneapolis, summer doesn't begin until the end of June and it's over sometime in September. I moved to the PNW but I never fell out of love with once-bloomers. Even in Portland, 1/3 of my roses are once-bloomers. Each year, I look forward to their flushes with great longing.

The longest blooming roses in my garden are Cecile Brunner, Perle d'Or, Marie Pavie, Hermosa, and Blush Noisette. Zepherine Drouhin is a close second along with a few floribundas and the ever faithful Francis Dubreuil/Barcelona.

My perennial Lemon Queen sunflower lasts almost 2 months. Maybe 1 month and 3/4?

I just realized that I don't grow many annuals. Maybe I'm too cheap? Maybe I'm lazy? Maybe I need some Heavenly Blue morning glories....

Carol

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Here the Banksias are the first to fully bloom. They've been on for three weeks. Rosa laveagata , Ramona, and Climbing PomPon de Paris have been blooming for two weeks. The tea Madame Antoine Rebe started this week and the very early blooming climbing HT Souv. de Madame Boullet. Otherwise there are scattered blooms and lots of buds. Peak of bloom here is around mid May. Hts, Florabundas, minis, and Austins sometimes bloom until December.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

The once-blooming roses are to me some of the most beautiful of all but of course they're not for me. Rose season is usually from the end of April to December, although this year everything has begun early. My repeat-blooming irises are blooming now but will also do so in June, October, November, January.....I never know when they'll decide to repeat bloom. The pelargoniums (most people know them as trailing or ivy geraniums) bloom most of the year. Sea lavender (limonium perezii) blooms during all the cooler months, basically from late October through May. The tea roses shut down during the coldest months, and some are not at their best when it's really hot. There aren't too many weeks when something isn't blooming, but of course it takes constant watering during the many hot months here.

Ingrid

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

In a normal year, which this is not, rose season begins around the end of April with R. hugonis and the first Chinas, the winds up around mid-June with the last of the once-bloomers of European origin. There's a long rest in the middle of summer, then some rebloom of the repeat-flowering roses beginning in September or October if we get good rains early enough, though that doesn't happen every year. A few blooms will straggle on through November and December, especially on the Chinas.
    The flowering year, more broadly, begins in January with the sarcococcas followed by the hellebores, then the first timid signs of spring appear at the end of February with the fragrant violets. Bloom accelerates through May, then begins to tail off. Summer, from mid-June onward, is our down time, with very little happening beyond heat, dust, and perennial weeds--though this is the season of lavender and wild chicory--and by August the garden looks like a desert. With the fall rains the garden begins to green up with the sprouting annual grass, and a few charming flowers appear, like the cyclamen and Salvia guaranitica. But fall is mainly pretty for the increasingly lush grass and some fall color, with a background of blue skies, and a scattering of bloom here and there.
    Melissa

• lori_elf z6b MD
    10 years ago

The early yellows (r. Primula, hugonis, catabrigiensis) usually bloom from mid-April for nearly a month. The main season roses start with repeat-blooming roses in Mid-May which flower for weeks and will repeat in flushes. The once-blooming old European roses are usually a week or so behind, towards end of May, because they are more careful about coming out of dormancy and less prone to late frost damage. They will bloom for 2-4 weeks depending on the variety and weather (too much heat speeds up blooming). Once of my longest blooming roses is Cristata, or Chapaue de Nepoleon, which blooms for a month or longer.

After the once-bloomers have started, the ramblers follow a week or so after that, with a spectacular blooming period lasting for weeks. Baltimore Belle is the last one to bloom, though worth waiting for. By then the clematis is really blooming like crazy too (though I have earlier and later varieties of clematis as well), and I love the look of pink and white rambling roses blooming with blue and purple shades of clematis.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Mme. Alfred Carriere is first to begin to bloom, often at the end of February, where we live, c. 7 miles east of San Francisco.
    Then all the China and Tea rosebushes bloom:
    starting with:
    Duchess de Brabant
    and Westside Road Cream Tea
    Archduke Charles
    Followed in c. 2 weeks by the rest of the Old Garden Tea rosebushes.
    Celine Forestier blooms then too, a rose I am madly in love with, so pretty with those large shallow cupped blooms surrounded by fresh pink rosebuds... and the fragrance!!! oooh-la-la!

Gloire des Rosomanes begins bloom at the end of March, and I love its light but lovely and spicy scent. It was one of the first red roses I ever loved because I thought red roses appeared somber, but those artless cherry red blooms with their China rose white streaks seduced me.

I found one bloom during the first week of April on my 'Belle Sultane' usually the Gallica roses bloom at the end of April or during May here.
    My Albertine has a few blooms too.

Our bloom season for China, Old Garden Tea roses extends from the end of February through mid-December, we often get a warm spell during mid-January and most of the Tea and Tea-Noisettes will put out a medium flush c. 1/2 to 2/3rds of the main spring flush of bloom.

Compared to Hybrid Tea rosebushes, I was delighted to see (though I feel I should feel abashed about this feeling, mea culpa) my neighbors front yard with only Hybrid Teas and modern roses has not a single bloom in it while my yard appears garlanded with an abundance of fragrant old garden Tea roses of pink, ivory, lemony yellow, peach and white all in mass profusion. While my friend and neighbor has ...poor thing... only rosebushes with leaves to show. She will have a garden of glory in late April when her Florabundas bloom fully followed in a couple weeks by her H.T.s.

My companion flowers that begin to bloom in late March through April , and re-bloom several times each year ( in our warm climate) include
    Johnny-jump-up violas which surround Lady Hillingdon
    as do
    Forget -Me-Nots,
    I have several 'Electric Blue' Geraniums that Luanne gave me last year that are blooming around Mme. Berkeley. and re-bloom steadily.
    Parma violets bloom in winter here when the last Tea roses are blooming.

Hybrid Tea roses with long stems bloom for an average of 28 to 33 days per flush X 3 flushes per year for a total of nearly 3 months a year.
    Florabundas bloom for a few days longer per flush: an average of 30 to 35 days per flush x slightly more than a month per flush, with an average bloom span of 3 and 1/2 months per year to nearly 4 months per year.

Lady Hillingdon bloomed for more than 180 days during her first flush of the year with never being dead headed, and always with 33% to 100% of bloom output during that time. ( I had a spinal injury and had nothing to do for 2 years but count rose blossoms in a large garden )

Other than the China and Teas no one can match them for days of bloom per year but a handful of Tea-Hybrids, including:
    Pax' a white Hybrid Musk bred by Pemberton. 50% Old Garden Tea
    This blooms in winter here with the Tea roses, mentioned in January.
    Souvenir de la Malmaison' a Bourbon that is also 50% Old Garden Tea
    it has the shorter pedicles typical to Old Garden Teas which makes for rapid re-bloom.

We just ordered a remontant 'Mock Orange ' (philladelphus) which is called 'White Sensation' I'm very excited about it, as it is the only re-blooming mock orange that I am aware of existing.

I have a yellow chrysanthemum called "garland Chrysanthemum' that I got from a seed bank locally, and it blooms from April through late Autumn, it re-seeds easily and it provides a saturated yellow missing from the Tea rose class. It grows taller and wider than I'd like, though.

Lux.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida