Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

Is this Dortmund?

aimeekitty
12 years ago

This is one of my mystery roses from Rogue Valley Roses.

I was thinking perhaps it was Dortmund? What do you think?

It's a strong pure red with a large white eye, medium/dark green leaves, some pinkish thorns.

https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/dortmund

{{gwi:250604}}

{{gwi:250605}}

{{gwi:250606}}

another bloom on another day:

{{gwi:250607}}

Comments (14)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

The foliage doesn't look "bright, shiny plastic green" enough to me and I've never seen the bloom that painted. From the foliage and bloom, yours looks more like Carefree Spirit or something similar. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Carefree Spirit

• michaelg
    12 years ago

I can't tell. Leaves of Dortmund are dark and extremely shiny. Canes are extremely thorny, stiff, and nearly upright. Spray residue could be masking the shine here.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Aimee's water is HIGHLY alkaline/salty, Michael, which accounts for the water spots on the foliage. Efflorescence is extreme in these parts, particularly the Santa Clarita Valley where she lives. I battled that for nearly twenty years when I lived and gardened there. It can be very unsightly. Water used to run out of the facing slope across the fire road from my old garden there. It was so highly salty they said it couldn't be purified so it was allowed to just run down the drain into the river. It was part of a larger under ground stream which occasionally caused sink holes in the exit from the community and eventually caused the patios to slip away from several of the units on that slope. Kim

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

but Carefree Spirit doesn't seem to be offered by Rogue Valley?

Maybe
    Cocktail:
    https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/cocktail
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1242&tab=1

the other few listed when I do a search for medium red and single bloom on RVR don't seem to have a large white eye in any of the example photos.

Yes, the white on the leaves is from the salt on the sprinklers. This rose is sitting in my pot ghetto which gets sprayed by water more than the rest of my rose garden.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Could be Cocktail, it just doesn't look quite right for it to me, but that doesn't mean it ISN'T. Kim

• beaniebeagle
    12 years ago

I have 3 separate dortmunds.

I would say it is not dortmund

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

The flower could be right, that bright cherry red, however the leaves of Dortmund are dark and intensely glossy. At this point I would say probably not, but I could change my mind as the plant grows. Dortmund has very stiff canes, difficult to bend tightly. You would not want to train it around a pole.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Also, I do not think it is Cocktail. The center of Cocktail is yellow, not white.

Rosefolly

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ha, well I guess I have no idea what it is now! :) I guess I'll just wait till it gets older and see if it's more recognizable then

• User
    12 years ago

Neither 'Dortmund' nor 'Cocktail', IMO. I don't recognize it, sorry!

• barbarag_happy
    12 years ago

Just curious, did you think of sending this pics to Rogue Valley and asking them?
    I'd really like to know who this pretty little cutie is!
    (Ha, I'm saying little which may be famous last words. Could be a ground covering monster someday)

• User
    12 years ago

nope, neither. could be a sweetbriar hybrid or something else fairly close to the species roses.

• jeffcat
    12 years ago

The plant is young so it's hard to tell, but it LOOKS like Dortmund EXCEPT for the fact that the stamens are very different from Dortmund's. Dortmund has stamens that are yellow and tend to tangle into each other.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I totally forgot about emailing RV, so I just did, thanks!

Normally I'm not a fan of bright red roses and I'm particular about singles, but I do actually really like this little rose! I probably never would have chosen it, but it's very charming in person. It'd be nice to know what it is so that I have a rough idea of what it's habit and size will be. :)

Thanks for helping me try to guess. if RV doesn't know perhaps I'll come back next year with some more photos.