Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Some blooms

peachymomo
9 years ago

The roses were looking so pretty today I had to go out and photograph them.

{{gwi:250618}}
{{gwi:250619}}
Both of Joyce Barden's first blooms were so perfect, I just couldn't choose between them.

{{gwi:250620}}
Abraham Darby looks fabulous, and when conditions are just right I can smell the blooms on the breeze.

{{gwi:250621}}
I think Golden Buddha is happier in this spot, where there is less competition and more dappled shade.

{{gwi:250622}}
I love the fragile blooms on Duplex, I can't wait until it gets nice and big so I can see them better from a distance.

{{gwi:250623}}
This is a mystery rose from RVR, I thought it was Cecil Brunner but this year the blooms are peachier than than have been in years past. It's giant and vigorous though, and I think it's glad to be in the ground after spending 4 years in a pot.

{{gwi:250624}}
This is the second bloom from Mme, Alfred Carriere, the first got munched by something.

{{gwi:250625}}
I have Zephirine Drouhin near the front door and in the morning she perfumes the air in the courtyard beautifully.

{{gwi:250626}}
Whenever I notice the charming blooms of Jerri Jennings through the front window it brings a smile to my face.

{{gwi:250627}}
And I couldn't resist including one of my first ever clematis, Henri. So eye-catching, especially at twilight when everything else is fading and the large white flowers look just a little bit blue.

Well, thanks for looking everyone!

Comments (11)

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Nothing blooming here yet, so thank you for letting me enjoy yours!

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Peachymomo, thank you for the photos. I see you grow several Barden roses. I am adding a number to my garden, too, and it's so helpful to witness these beauties thriving in yours. I also have a Madame Alfred, Cecile, Abraham and Zepherine. What great (shared) taste you have. :-) Your photos are lovely! Carol

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

I was drawn to the Barden roses because in my shady garden disease resistance is a must. I meant to mention that Joyce Barden is doing beautifully in a spot that gets a few hours of full sun in the morning and evening, but dappled shade for the rest of the day, and there is not a (disease caused) spot on the leaves... if you notice any blackness that is the leavings of birdies who were eating the privet berries above the garden.

Here a few more pictures, in the afternoon the lighting is different and you can see how much more open some of the blooms are.

{{gwi:250628}}
    {{gwi:250629}}
    Joyce Barden

{{gwi:250630}}
    {{gwi:250631}}
    Golden Buddha

{{gwi:250632}}
    Jerri Jennings

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

So beautiful, Peachy! I want them all!

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Peachymomo, Joyce and Jeri are on my next order list, along with Mel's Heritage. I'm trying to pace myself for a change. Try almost anything once, right? I currently have Marianne, Oshun, Rook and Crested Damask in my pot nursery. I'm giving some of my current roses to friends to make room for a garden full of favored, long-term rose companions. Thank you for the additional photos and disease resistance info. I have high hopes for healthy plants since Paul is such a responsible breeder and he developed these roses in a climate similar to mine. Your roses are absolutely beautiful! I noticed the combo of purple and gold violas /golden roses. Wonderful! Where are you located in CA? Carol

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Sonoma County, just north of Santa Rosa. I moved here from Tahoe because of the gardening potential ;oP

I'm glad you noticed the violas with Golden Buddha, that was a completely accidental combination. There are maroon pansies on the other side and they make an interesting combo too.

I got bit by the rose bug 4 years ago, I started out ordering HT's with color as my only consideration. Then after seeing how they did in my garden and finding the Antique Roses forum I branched out into various different types of own root roses, ordering with abandon and without thought of where I would put them all. Now I'm plugging away at designing gardens and planting as many of my potted roses as I can, wondering what I was thinking...

• sidos_house
    9 years ago

It's such an exciting time of year, isn't it, Peachy? Your flowers are all beautiful. So happy to know they are doing well for you. Keep posting pictures. I think we all love them.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Very beautiful and interesting roses, peachymomo, and so healthy-looking. I wonder whether the rose you thought was Cecile Brunner might possibly be Perle d'Or, which is more apricot. Duplex is a really lovely rose.

Ingrid

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much! I've subscribed to Jerri's shovel method of disease control ;o)

As long as the offer stands, here are a few more of my mystery rose:
    {{gwi:250633}}
    {{gwi:250635}}
    {{gwi:250637}}
    I was pretty sure it was Cecil Brunner because I see that rose all over and it has the same growth habit and bloom time, but I've never seen a Perle d'Or so I couldn't tell them apart. Whatever it is, this rose is tough and vigorous. In the fall when I transplanted it I tried to save some of the large roots that had grown out of the pot and into the ground but they broke off, I also cut it back by more than half because it was huge and I had to fit it into a truck with a camper shell. Despite the rough treatment it took off and is giving us a great show this spring.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Peachy, I see why Ingrid suggested Perle, but your bottom photos look like Cecile to me. Yes, she's a tough gal, isn't she? I've grown her in many gardens and never had a bit of trouble with her everblooming self. Yours is lovely! Perle is equally tough, floriferous, and healthy. Carol

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

Lovely roses Peachy. It's the first time I have seen a photo of Jeri Jennings. What a beauty.
    Daisy