Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best repeating bourbon

Posted by poorbutroserich nashville (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 14:35

Please share your best repeating bourbon.
Thanks!
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best repeating bourbon

My best is Souv de la Malmaison, by far.

o

OG, what others do well for you? Susan

o

Madame Isaac Pereire always repeated well for me.

o

poorbutroserich, the only other bourbon I have is Zepherine Drouhin, I just let it go wild and it's a monster. Beautiful in spring, rebloom not the greatest.

o

I planted Kronprincess Viktoria this past winter and it is a great bloomer; love it!

o

I agree with ogrose, Souvenir de La Malmaison without a doubt.

o

Hands down, SdlM is the best-blooming rose in my garden, not only the best Bourbon. Romaggi Plot Bourbon has improved every year, and Kronprinzessin Viktoria and Mme. Cornelissen are also quite good, but neither is as good a bush as SdlM, and Romaggi Plot Bourbon is much smaller, as is Mme. Dore.

Ingrid

o

• Posted by annabeth Zone 8 No Cal inland (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 2:15

I have Mme Isaac Pereire, Mme Pierre Oger, Variegata di Bologna, Zephirine Drouhin and Mme Louise Odier.

For me the winner of these for best repeater is Mme Louise Odier. Although for spring flush, Variegata di Bologna beats her, but hasn't repeated much for me. I keep hoping she will.

Annabeth

o

In Portland, OR:
My Zepherine has a big late spring/early summer bloomfest, she blooms in clusters here and there all summer and she has a smaller fall flush. Souvenir de la Malmaison is also a very good repeater here. Carol

o

Thanks for the info you all! I'm hoping to see my first ZD flush this year...
It's good to know about the smaller bourbons too as these long caned gals are HUGE!
Susan

o

Don't forget to post pics! Carol

o

Carol,
You don't find that SDLM suffers from the rain here? I avoided buying her last spring because of all the reports of balling. I'm in Salem so our weather is pretty much the same as yours. I bought Souv. d' st anne's instead, but it hasn't arrived from the nursery yet.

Melody

o

Hi, Melody! Yes, balling when rain hits at the wrong time. I just cut off the soggy blooms and SDLM blooms again as soon as she makes more. However, in years where the rain is light or nonexistent during onset of first flush, she's great! I do tend to lean toward growing her in a pot under the cover of a porch or below the overhang of a roof or beneath the branches of a full plum tree, etc. extra protection from the sog. Please let me know how St. Anne workins for you. Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here