Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

RRD? I'm pretty sure, just looking for confirmation

buford
11 years ago

Before I dig her up. This is on Ballerina. I only noticed it because I was clearing up this corner of my yard. I have cryptomeria and they've been dumping a lot of needles and there were tons of vinica back there (I didn't plant it). I thought it would be a good opportunity to take some dead wood out from the base of Ballernina. She's in a corner and very hard to get to. I saw the horrid looking growth and cut that one cane down to the base. I though I could possibly save her, and then I saw it on another cane.

On this first picture, you can see the normal growth in the foreground and the other crazy growth:

{{gwi:250873}}

A close up. The three things that stand out to me is the color of the growth, red, the amount of it, and that it's larger than the cane it's growing out of.

{{gwi:250874}}

Forgive the blue tint on this picture, I had my white balance set for flourescent lighting. But you can see the extent of the overgrowth

{{gwi:248322}}

Another close up:

{{gwi:250875}}

Comments (14)

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Sure looks like it, and with two canes infected you need to rogue the plant right away.

I've seen plenty of RRD around town, but last year had the first case in my own garden. Fortunately I caught it within a few days of symptoms becoming visible, took the cane out below grade, and it hasn't recurred. I happened to be watching this plant closely for other reasons. Vigilance, vigilance!

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Any round-up used nearby?

Here is a link that might be useful: my rose rosette virus page

• buford
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think so, this plant is in the back of the bed, up against a fence. I've seen RU damage on roses, and it usually shows as stunted wispy growth. This is overgrowth. It was quite visible against the other normal growth. I just pruned this rose a few weeks ago and there was no sign of this.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

if it's against the fence you need to check with the neighbor on the other side of that fence and find out if they have used any herbicides lately.

• hornman
    11 years ago

Well I don't see a lot of excess thorns. I tought thornyness`was a common sign of RRV.

• olga_6b
    11 years ago

I believe it is RRD. Herbicide damage looks different in my experience. Thorny growth is not always present in RRD cases, it is just one of the symptomps. When you see RRD deformity it always gives you a creepy feeling, round up damage you can observe w/o beind deeply disturbed. I get several cases of RRD in my garden each year these days. I don't use herbicides at all, but I have plenty of RRD infected wild multiflora bushes in the public area behind my house. I learnt to live with it. It does not spread like fire, you just pay your tax each year. The sad thing it always hits the most beautiful roses. Always the ones you like most :(
    Olga

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

Definitely RRD

• buford
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. Out she goes!!!!

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

Hornman,
    The real problem with RRD is that the symptoms are neither simple nor predictable. Sometimes the hyperthorniness happens, sometimes it doesn't. That's a major reason that rose growers need to look beyond the first glance.

In my own garden I look for a minimum of three symptoms.

Buford's Ballernina has at least seven symptoms.

Perhaps the strangest one is seen in the two blue-r photos.
    Look at the initial leaf axil breaks. They happened way too early in the season (which is not something that HMusks do, it's the multiflora in them that is conservative as to when HMusks start to grow). These axil breaks started so early (and remember she's near Atlanta) that they were frosted back - leading to their black color now. Most roses would have abandoned those axils. This rose didn't but in some cases continued to grow through the dead material.

Another symptom on these canes (in addition to the caliper problems) is that the growth was so rapid that the cane was weighted down as it grew, leading to the curves in the canes.

Way shortened internodal distances ....and on and on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette E-book

• buford
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it was quite disturbing. I was just there cutting out dead wood and then something caught my eye. It was so out of place, I thought it was perhaps a bunch of dead leaves or branches from surrounding trees caught up in the rose. The growth was so dense compared to the rest of the rose, it was shocking.

As Olga said, when you have herbicide damage, you look at it and wonder what it is and then suspect many things. As soon as I saw this, my heart sank and I said, it's RRD. There was no doubt in my mind. I'm sad about the rose, but sadder that I now have to worry that it will strike again.

• buford
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ugh, I went to cut her down this evening and found 2 more canes with aberrant growth. Thought you might enjoy seeing the pics.

{{gwi:250876}}

Look at the amount of growth coming out of this itty bitty cane:

{{gwi:250877}}

Close up of the base of the cane

{{gwi:250878}}

These are two side branches from the same cane. One with RRD the other normal

{{gwi:248321}}

The growth was so abundant, that it curled up upon itself into a massive clump of plant tissue:

{{gwi:250879}}

• hartwood
    11 years ago

Chin up, my friend. RRD means the death of Ballerina, but your rose garden lives on. You photos show the ugliness of RRD growth, and this will help folks who haven't yet experienced it in their own garden.

Red and hyperthorny are only potentially part of the story with RRD. I have to get out into the garden with my camera and document a case of RRD on a Hybrid China that looks like no case I have seen before. It's good to get this evidence out there for the benefit of others.

Connie

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

Let's hope more people really look at these. They are a great teaching tool.

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

Wow I will keep and eye out for this on my roses. Never new about it. Great photos to help me to understand what I am looking for. Sorry about your rose