Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prickles_gw

Windermere or Susan William-Ellis

prickles
9 years ago

Does anyone grow either or both of these Austins? I'm considering getting a white colored DA (got rose lust today!). I would like to know about disease-resistance (pm and rust) and fragrance and repeat etc. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

'Windermere' is a super pale apricot here, not pure white. It has heavy bloom and quick repeat, with an excellent fragrance. It also has better than average resistance to Rust and it doesn't mildew.

On the down side, the flowers last only two or two-and-a-half days, so there is a constant rain of petals and a lot of deadheading is required. The growth is tall and vertical in habit, and on the narrow side.

I don't have SW-E.

'Bolero' is an outstanding white in the Austin style, though it is not an Austin. Another to consider is 'Snowbird', which is an oldie (1936) but an excellent lrose.

• prickles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much hoovb,

I guess Windermere isn't for me then. Bolero I grew for a short period of time but gave it away because it was slow for me. Maybe I should rethink it. I did like the flowers a lot.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I love the photo Hoovb, that is Snowbird right?

I looked at Bolero locally but the plants were smaller for 5g pots but also had zig-zags, it also had a pink tint and when I heard the rep talking about all the reasons it was better than Iceberg, he stated it had a yellow tint and not pink.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

I don't grow any of these roses myself but I've heard from friends that Susan WIlliams-Ellis' flowers shatter quickly.

• prickles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much hoovb and mariannese. I kept my eyes opened--and nose too--while I was at the nursery this morning, searching for a fragrant white rose. There were some sad specimens of bolero that didn't look very healthy: yellow leaves and just too small for a five gallon etc. (Over watered I suspect.) I saw Charles Darwin faded to a paler shade of cream...white...and thought I would get it but was happily distracted by some really fragrant clear pink flowers which turned out to be Bishops Castle. Long story short, I got a nice healthy BC!
    Her is a pic of BC...I grew this one previously but it died. It always used to mildew slightly for me but cleared up eventually once the temperature got hotter and the air dried.

This post was edited by prickles on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 0:45