Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging holes before receiving the roses?

Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 15:46

Any harm to digging rose holes before receiving your rose order- digging a week in advance. If not, would you put any leafgro etc in the rose hole to keep it from drying out?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging holes before receiving the roses?

I don't dig my holes ahead of time, but if I get a chance I like to prepare the area the rose will go in. I start out like I am actually planting a new rose - I dig out and keep the first third of the soil from the hole area. I dig out the bottom two thirds and use it for fill somewhere else. Then I mix the top third with one third compost and one third peat moss, a cup of bone meal, and then mix it all up. I put it all back in the hole. When my bare root roses arrive, I can just temporarily remove the soil, add the rose, and refill. I only do this when I have time on my hands before the roses arrive. That probably won't be the case this year since we just had a major snow fall a few days ago. It melted fast, but put be behind in the garden.

o
RE: Digging holes before receiving the roses?

I seem to remember doing this years ago when I lived in a cold weather climate. Planting season can come when the soil is very wet, and you don't to mess with wet clay soil. Getting peas in the ground at the proper time was particularly tricky. If I recall correctly, a couple of times I did the prep for roses in the fall, filled the hole and covered it with mulch, and then was ready to plant as soon as the soil was dry enough to be handled.

On the other hand, it might be that I just remember reading about doing this! I left Pennsylvania twenty-some years ago.

Rosefolly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here