Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Grandmother's Hat'

Posted by jerijen Sunset Z24 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 15:46

We have talked and talked over the changeability of the Found Rose, "Grandmother's Hat." I thought y'all might like to see JUST how varied she can really be.

This is a group of photos of "Grandmother's Hat" herself, along with "NorthSide Pink" (Found, Mare Island, CA) and 'Tina Marie' (white or almost-white sport of GramHat, Vintage).

Nothing quite explains it like putting them all together:

The Many Faces of "Grandmother's Hat"

Jeri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Grandmother's Hat'

Thank you Jeri. Does Old Town Novato even enter the picture as possibly related? Comparing Northside Pink, does it have the same glandular texture to the flowering parts and new growth GH and her variants possess? Do those parts have the wonderful sweet-peppery-cedar scent GH and her clan do? All of these NEED to be grown together, with Gloire des Rosomanes and intensely studied. I KNOW they are related. I just haven't been able to unearth the documentation yet. Thank you! Kim

o

Thanks so much, Jeri! I can't wait - my baby GH has one bloom about to open. And, when I pruned it last Fall I just stuck 3 cuttings in a pot right next to it, and put a plastic cloche over the pot (which the squirrels remove about once a week). Both of them rooted! That was the easiest rooting of cuttings I have ever done.

Jackie

o

Kim -- You're going to have to come over here again to check those fragrances. My nose -- too many years of allergies. You have the nose for it.

But they certainly seem to be the same rose in all but bloom color . . . Well, no. I think Northside Pink may have a lower petal count, but I've not really documented that. Gregg surely took it for the same rose, and so did Mel Hulse. I was the only one who got to see the collected plant grown out and blooming in an active garden, because I have the only remaining plant from the collection.

I think it's interesting.
Rarely, it has some paler blooms.
ONCE it produced a 'Larry Daniels' pale bloom.

Funny, funny roses, this family.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here