Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imagardener2

Is this Climbing Cecile Brunner?

imagardener2
13 years ago

I never bought Cl. Cecile Brunner or anything even similar so I'm confused. Is this Cl.CB or something else? Just for my records so I have a clue.

It's growing well and a keeper, blooming constantly. Outside in the bright Florida sun it looks much whiter than photographed in open shade.

Thanks for ideas and comments.

Denise

{{gwi:251552}}

Comments (14)

• jerijen
    13 years ago

The color's right. The blooms don't look just right to me, but I can't see them close enough.
    Where did you get it?

Here are two closer looks at 'Mlle. Cecile Brunner':

{{gwi:251554}}

Here is a link that might be useful:

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where did I get it?
    No idea because I never bought anything like it in my records but it would have come from a Florida vendor, rosepetals or angelgardens most likely. I've bought: Climbing Pinkie (elsewhere in the yard), LaMarne (died), Cl. Iceberg (died).

here's a closer crop if Photobucket will make it so. I made it 8"x8" but it won't show that size.
    {{gwi:251557}}

My feeling is the same as yours. It's not like other photos I've seen of Cl.CBrunner. Fewer petals, flatter, not as puffy. It has a nice light scent.
    Thanks for your earlier reply.

Denise

• amberroses
    13 years ago

Could it be natchitoches noisette? It looks a little like mine.

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks amberroses

yes some of the NN photos on hmf do look like my rose but some of the others look deeper pink and fuller. but it looks more like NN than Cl CB to my eyes.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Are your blooms about 2 inches wide?

Denise

• collinw
    13 years ago

I agree that it doesn't look full enough to be Climbing Cecile Brunner, or it doesn't look like the ones I have grown.

• malcolm_manners
    13 years ago

I'd agree that it's an old-style Noisette, but not Natchitoches Noisette. Not Blush Noisette either. Could be Champneys' Pink Cluster, or another early Noisette.

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks collin and malcolm

Champney's Pink Cluster! The photos (majority anyway) on HMF make this my rose. The shape of the petals (teardrop-ish) and the coloring and the overall look are like like mine.

I will now label it and wonder what rose I should have but instead have Champney's Pink Cluster.

Again thanks for the help i.d.'ing.

Denise

• User
    13 years ago

I agree: more likely 'Champney's Pink CLuster' than 'Cecile Brunner'. The latter is more of a warm blush pink and almost always forms a rudimentary button eye at the bloom's center, which yours clearly does not. Your rose is also producing more blooms per cluster than 'Cecile Brunner'.

• malcolm_manners
    13 years ago

The bud and calyx shape are right for CPC, which is why I suggested it. It's exact color and petal count vary widely with the temperature, humidity, sunniness, and other aspects of the weather.

• claferg zone 9a Fl
    13 years ago

I have a rose that looks very much like yours Denise. The rose I have is Madame Laurette Messimy. I placed a link to Rose Petals Nursery, see if this rose looks like yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Madame Laurette Messimy

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks claferg. You solved the mystery of where it came from, this is definitely the rose in my garden. Is it Laurette Messimy? Dunno.

hmf's photos show most of LM are deeper color with just a few that look like mine (and notes that say some feel those are mislabelled LM).
    Will the real LMessimy please stand up, lol.

The photos of ChampneysPC support that name more solidly.

"What's in a name? A rose by any other name..."
    It matters to us doesn't it?

Denise

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintages Laurette M.

• claferg zone 9a Fl
    13 years ago

Denise, I did notice the different roses on HMF and I was kind of wondering myself what this rose is. Some nurseries like Angel Gardens and Rose Petals call it MLM while others like Vintage show a different rose with the same name. I agree that it would be nice to know the correct name for it.

• rough7976_yahoo_co_uk
    12 years ago

I wonder if my rose is Cecile Brunner, Cl. Can anyone help to identify? It doesn't look like the ones in HMF or elsewhere. Temp here is above 90F if that helps.

{{gwi:251560}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• catsrose
    12 years ago

Cl Cecile is not a great repeat bloomer, so that would disqualify it right off.