Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bigger Old Rose, Or New Small One

Posted by Sow_what So Ca Inland (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:00

I'm considering another Austin, and have the opportunity to buy a bigger rose that's been potted for several years. Due to root circling, I wouldn't do this with most other plants, but is this an issue with roses? Would you buy the bigger rose that's been potted for years, or would you choose a new rose -- say, a band or a one gallon?

Thanks for all your opinions.

jannike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bigger Old Rose, Or New Small One

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:13

In your zone it's probably more a matter of how patient you are. The bigger rose will give instant gratification. The smaller one will take time to mature. But I think either one will grow fine for you. If you go with the potted one, when you unpot it to plant make sure you tease out the roots some before putting it in. That will help it start to grow out into the soil instead of just continuing to circle.

o

Thank you for your help, seil, and I apologize for the delay. So, even after a rose has been in a five gallon pot for five years or so, there's little risk in planting it, as long as you tease out the roots?

This five gallon rose that's been in the pot for about five years will cost about the same as a new one gallon plus shipping, so I'm hoping to make the best choice regarding which is likely to be the better rose.

Thanks for any advice.

jannike

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:56

Now I'm sorry I'm so late to answer, lol! I was away for a bit.

Yes, the big potted one should do just fine planted in the ground. You don't want to whack off any roots if possible but do try to straighten them out and loosen them up when you plant it. It may wilt some at first from transplant shock but it should come back from that with no problem if you keep it well watered but not too soggy wet. I wouldn't recommend any fertilizer on it until you see new growth starting. That usually means the roots have started to recover and it can support new growth and take up nutrients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here