Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catspa_z9_sunset14

"San Leandro Dark Red HT"

I got this rose as a band a few years ago from Vintage. It's been making steady progress on its own roots -- neither the fastest or the slowest; has nice foliage. The blooms are medium-sized, about 4 " (It's no 'Just Joey', thank goodness!). There's no page for it on HMF, that I could find anyway, so I thought I'd post photos of the two blooms open today. Both the blackness of the red and the scent (damask) are astounding, I think.
Opening flower:
{{gwi:252132}}

Open flower:

{{gwi:252134}}

Comments (10)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Wow! It's beautiful. I like that dark red.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Wonderful color. Looks so velvety.

Diane

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

THANKS SO MUCH for posting a pic of this one! I'm starting to assemble a little collection of fragrant crimson or dark-red HTs and was very curious about VG's description on this one. As it grows, put me on the list for cuttings, please -- even if it isn't for a year or more.

:-)

~Christopher

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do, Christopher -- I'll be glad to share.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Catspa, that is a SMASHING rose! I drool at the sight of those dark red velvety blossoms. Your note on the damask fragrance is really helpful. I only know of two deep reds that have that strong, old rose aroma going on--Mr. Lincoln and Barcelona/F Dubreuil. Doesn't it just seem appropriate for a flower that looks that yummy to smell that yummy? Carol

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Ah, your exquisite photos make me cringe all the more at where I planted this rose when I got mine from Vintage years ago. I put it in a cold spot in my yard where the temperatures get a 10 degrees colder than the rest of the yard, and it died a rapid death over the winter. That deep burgundy is a color I desperately want everywhere I can get it, so if you get enough cuttings to be shareable some day I would humbly join the petition, and try my best to trade cuttings if I can figure out how to do it well enough for things to survive.

Cynthia

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll be happy to share with you, too, Cynthia (and I can totally empathize with cringe-worthy siting, having committed more than a few of those, some of which I'm still burdened with...and one more of which I'm fixing this morning, before that little plant gets too settled in).

Christopher and you should remind me via email next year when the time is right for you -- hopefully "San Leandro" will do some more good growing this season and I can send some cuttings along.

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

Your rose reminds me of a rose I'd seen growing at the Morcom Park Amphitheatre of Roses, in Oakland, ca, though the plant was declining when I last saw it a few years ago:
    'Nigrette' Krause 1934

it too was intense red-black, had not a lot of petals and because of this often the stamens showed when fully open

Lux.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Yes, it does remind me of 'Nigrette', which I got last year as a band. This year it was potted-up into a larger container, but it will remain a pot-pet (along with the others in my collection). I assumed that because Vintage Gardens carried both, and was known for sleuthing out duplicates, that there must be something "different" about this foundling. Perhaps it's the size? While mine is still a baby, the pics of 'Nigrette' I've seen always indicate a small plant -- and bloom. Catspa -- care to compare to yours?

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Nigrette' at HelpMeFind

Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw 'Nigrette' at Vintage Gardens a few years ago and yes, Christopher, this plant is larger in all its parts than that plant, certainly the blooms, and seems likely to grow larger. Thus far, also, this plant has healthier foliage, with no PM.

The blooms do look like a "macro" version of 'Nigrette', though, and I love those golden stamens against the black. Next time I go through Morcom, I'll have to specifically look for 'Nigrette', Lux, and see if she is still there. I was there two weeks ago or so and was totally blown away by the teas; the hybrid teas hadn't really started yet.