Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is Munstead Turning Pink?

Posted by SFV4Life 10a/20 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:28

The first blooms on this plant were purple-black, just as they are supposed to be. Now I have this. It's actually lighter than my Darcey Bussell (I'll post that next). What gives? Is it the recent warmer weather here (75-80)? What to do?
Thanks,
Sylvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is Munstead Turning Pink?

This is a rather decayed flower on Darcey Bussell, but it points out how M.Wood has suddenly decided to become the lighter bloom.

o

Sorry. Mine are the same here

o

• Posted by Tessiess 9b, SoCal Inland, 12 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:39

Did you buy them locally or were they shipped? If purchased nearby, and that source grew them onsite for a while (and they looked as predicted), I would ask exactly what their maintenance regime was as to what they fertilized with, amounts, and how often, and the same regarding water and mulch (if any). Were they getting a similar amount of sunlight as in your garden? What is your water like? Then compare what you are doing with how the roses were cared for before you bought them. If they came from some distance away, or were only recently shipped to a local nursery/store, then this info may not be comparable.

Melissa

o

I remember last year 1 or 2 posters had pics of a pinkish Munstead Woods and I questioned if that was the right rose. They assured me it was the correct rose. They also said that their soil was very alkaline and there was some speculation that that may have affected the color. Keep in mind that that was speculation only--don't know for sure if that was the cause of the lighter colors.

All I can say is that my MW is dark and my soil is "average"--not very acidic, not very alkaline--somewhere inbetween.

Don't know if that will help or not. I'm trying to remember if last years posters were also from California or near there--but it just isn't coming back to me. All I can promise is to keep an eye out this summer --second year for my MW--and see how it does colorwise.

Kate

o

Tessiess - I purchased this rose bare root from DA in Texas and had it shipped here. So I wish your advice could apply, but it can't.
Dublinbay -- Munstead is in a pot, in better-quality potting soil, so right now my soil isn't a factor. It gets morning sun and afternoon sun up to around 2 P.M. I have Molineux in a pot next to it, and that's going gangbusters.
The interesting thing is that the first blooms off this bush were wonderful. We'll see what happens through the rest of our "spring."
Thanks,
Sylvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here