Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me Id this old rose

Posted by victoria129 Alabama (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 16:35

Can someone help me identify this rose? I am thinking maybe a hybrid perpetual. It was found at an old house place in North Alabama. the house was long gone so it is at least 40 years old. It grows well in South Alabama for me. It suckers, has 5 leaflets, 24 petals per flower. It is a silvery pink in color. It is rather ungainly in form, arching over and taking up a lot of space. It would probably be 6 or 7 feet high if it stood up straight. It only blooms in spring for me. I also posted in the Find this Rose forum, but have had no luck there.

Here is a link that might be useful: old found roses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me Id this old rose

Can't help with an ID, but I have a very similar rose that I collected in Birmingham. Hope someone has an idea. Is is it fragrant?

o

It is slightly fragrant.

o

I should also add that it is moderately thorny.

o

• Posted by brhgm z8b LA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 13:32

Looks a lot like Maggie, but the color is not as deep. I would agree it could be a Bourbon.

o

I also think it looks like a Bourbon. Don't HPs typically have a more upright growth habit?

o

It is very disease resistant. I thought Bourbons were more prone to black spot, etc.

o

Also, it only blooms in spring. Are there once blooming bourbons?

o

There are. Vintage calls them hybrid bourbons, and has a special section of its' catalogue devoted to them. It might be that this one would show some repeat with TLC.

o

Loos a little like a Hybrid Bourbon which is not uncommon in the US Gloire des Rosomanes

Here is a link that might be useful: Gloire des Rosomanes

o

Thanks, everyone. I think you all have put me on the right track. I'm not sure about Gloire des Rosomanes, because mine is a light pink, rather than red, but now I'm thinking hybrid bourbon. It does have the five leaves and shark fin thorns of a bourbon.

o

I think I've got it. Shailer's Provence, a centifolia bred by Henry Shailer (United Kingdom, 1799). Thanks for everyone's help.

o

It does not look like SP I grow. Also SP has VERY strong fragrance to me.
Olga

o

My mother-in-law also grows this rose (we dug it up from the same old house place) and hers is fuller and more fragrant. She has better soil than I do. I don't have a great sense of smell, other people think it is more fragrant than I do. The number of leaves, bud pictures, suckering,and once flowering habit, are closer than any other rose I've found yet. The pictures at Help Me Find are almost identical to mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here