Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

CA gold country cemetery roses

fogrose
10 years ago

I'm planning a trip to the gold country to view some cemetery roses. Have wanted to do this for a long time as the only one I've been to is the Cherokee cemetery.

Would appreciate advice on bloom time for roses in this area. Hope to learn about some good cemeteries to visit as well.

Thanks!
Diane

Comments (4)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Plymouth Cemetery is a nice one to visit.On the way there stop in Amador City where there is a really nice garden store called The Bellflower and a great deli. Outside of Plymouth is The Amador Flower farm. This is a neat nursery that also specializes in Daylillies. If iris are blooming there is another spot near there Bluebird Iris Gardens(a nursery) Farther north there is the cemetery in Nevada City. You probably already know how much fun that town is. The Temple HP came from a vacant lot in Nevada City. On Boulder road there is another really interesting cemetery where some rose folks have been planting old roses. North San Juan is rather isolated, but there are some interesting roses in that cemetery. There is a rose garden at the Empire Mine near Grass Valley. I would like to go to the cemetery at Angels Camp, haven't yet. Of course that must be where the Angel's Camp Tea is from. I'm betting the bloom time in the Gold Country is around the same as mine if not a little later. That means around the third week in May.

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the information Pamela. The cemetery on Boulder Road sounds interesting. Do you know it's name?

Been to Empire Mine. Interesting that Temple HP is from Nevada City. I had thought it was a volunteer in your garden. Yes, Nevada City is a great town to visit.

I've ordered from Bluebird gardens in the past. Have you ever been to Superstition Iris gardens?

Can't wait to go.

Diane

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I can't remember the name of that cemetery on Boulder Road. It's not hard to find though. I've heard of Superstition Iris Gardens but haven't been there.
    The Temple HP was such an interesting find. It was barely poking up through weeds in a spot that didn't even look like there had been a home there in the past. I could see that it had been mown down repeatedly. I think it lived in that spot for only three more years after we took cuttings. When Gregg and Phillip saw it they said it wasn't like any other HP in their collection so they called it The Temple HP.
    Have fun!

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again Pamela. Will try and take photos from the trip and post them.

Diane

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations