Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
R Primula vs multiflora - will I be able to tell them apart?

Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 17:04

Now that it looks like that there is multiflora in my neighbors yard which is sending out shoots to me, if I plant R Primula and R Hugonis, will I be able to tell the foliage apart? Sorry, likely a silly question to those of you more experienced.

Also - best way to destroy the multiflora? If I dig it up, will it just send more roots elsewhere?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: R Primula vs multiflora - will I be able to tell them apart?

Multiflora does not send out shoots. It seeds around, but that is different. Also, roses with multiflora heritage all have the fringed multiflora stipules. This would be polyanthas, hybrid musks, and multiflora ramblers, just to name a few.

Primula and hugonis do look somewhat different. However, my own-root hugonis has been extremely slow to develop suckers. Given that, it shouldn't be difficult to tell the difference between a planted rose and a seedling.

o
RE: R Primula vs multiflora - will I be able to tell them apart?

Yes, the foliage, the canes color and the thorns are are all obviously different. If you see hugonis or primula leaves and canes just once, you will never mix them with multiflora.
Olga

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here