Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmgonzo

Question using Caseron --

mmmgonzo
11 years ago

I know you cannot plant seeds in the area you have used Caseron for a year (at least this is what I have heard).

Can you plant seedlings (annuals/perrineals) or rose bands?

Spreading Caseron is on my "to do" list and if I need to leave some areas clear (mostly to plant new roses) I will.

If I can however use it everywhere, that is even better :)

Thanks!

Marleah

Comments (6)

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

When I looked at the chemical hazards document for caseron, it's not pleasant. The effects are long lasting. I spent over $40 of that stuff to spray a patch of crabgrass. It was worthless, the crabgrass spread even more. The next year I pulled the crabgrass by hands when the weather is hot and dry. That got rid of the crabgrass for good.

If I had known the above, I would had pulled it by hand when the patch was smaller. At the libary I saw a landscape guy sprayed a tiny weed with a giant canister of chemicals. It would had been faster if he bent down and pull up the weed by hand.

My neighbor had a huge patch of crabgrass the size of a bus. Tee-time lawn company sprayed her lawn with lime and other stuff. Here the stable uses lime to deodorize their horse stalls. I used horse manure (has lime) as mulch, resulting in ZERO WEEDS and ZERO fungal diseases in my rose bed. In contrast, there's tons of weeds where I mulched with free bark mulch.

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

I use our wood ash from our woodstove to change the pH and make the 'wiregrass' areas less friendly to wiregrass. Then I go in and take out the stragglers.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

nasty stuff- used to be the go-to weed killer of choice for municiple use until the many complaints started rolling in regarding spray-happy contractors. My entire pot garden outside my house got wiped one year - the flurry of outrage, mouth foaming and lurid threats resulted in a 6 week rent holiday....but still.

• mmmgonzo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information..

If I am going to claim back my rose garden, this is a must for me right now...I only have well established roses in this area and they survived a trial last fall, and it made good headway on the overgrowth of everything I didn't want...

I will keep a section clear for planting in new rose bands.

Marleah

• juliewarsowe
    11 years ago

Please note, the article quoted above from the Arnold Arboretum was published in 1969. The Arboretum has not used this herbicide since the early 1970's. The article is not meant to be a recommendation for use of Caseron today.
    Sincerely,
    Julie Warsowe
    Manager of Visitor Education
    Arnold Arboretum

Here is a link that might be useful: arnold arboretum website