Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Cramoisi Superior fragrant?

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:46

I have 3 bushes of what I always thought was CS. This year, like all of our roses, it is outdoing itself blooming. I was taking pictures of it, and sniffed a bloom, even though I thought I knew that china roses were not fragrant. WOW! Really strong sort of fruity scent - not the typical old rose one, but very nice.

So, am I crazy or is CS very fragrant, or is this some other rose (although I can't believe it isn't a china)?

Here are some pics of the bush and the blooms.

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Cramoisi Superior fragrant?

Here is a blom showing the white markings which are on many of them:

o

Last one -

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:57

Louis Phillipe is very fragrant to my nose -- and per Vintage often sold for Cramoisi (though in my yard it's a bit pinker than Cramoisi, most of the time anyway).

I can't get much scent at all from Cramoisi -- maybe the tiniest whiff (and this only from a clone that may be the climber -- undetermined as yet -- from my daughter's backyard in San Francisco -- other Cramoisis, of the shrub form, have been essentially scentless to me).

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 21:16

I wonder if you have what Vintage Gardens called 'Louis Philippe d'Angers'. I have a really hard time telling LP and CS apart, but the stripes on yours reminded me of the one I mentioned.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinas at Vintage Gardens

o

They look like either Cramoisi or LP...but which one? Louis supposedly has more white in the center (like yours) and, I believe, is reputed to have a stronger fruity fragrance. My nose isn't very helpful with either variety. I also believe that Louis' color can be slightly more pink (which would be consistent with Catspa's experience). With all that said, I hope my life never depends on distinguishing between the two. I'm guessing you have LP, but maybe Jeri can say? Carol

o

Thanks so much! I looked at your link, and mine does indeed look just like the Vintage Louis Philippe d"Angers, and it certainly has a strong scent which could be cherry.

On HMF, I did not see any with exactly the white markings mine have right now - all of the blooms have them. I took one apart, and every petal was striped with white. I realize however, that these old roses change their looks depending on the weather sometimes. So, I will call it Louis Philippe from now on. My FIL planted it, we think, in the 1970s, and he always bought roses from Roses of Yesterday & Tomorrow.

Jackie

o

What I grew as 'Cramoisi Superieur' in my yard in north Alabama was very fragrant and also had white striping, Jackie. I think my source was probably Countryside Roses in Pass Christian, Mississippi. 'Louis Philippe' and 'Cramoisi' I think are hard to tell apart, if they are even distinguishable at all. I've heard LP is smaller, but I am not sure that is true. I love the fragrance on Cramoisi; to me it smelled fruity too.

Cramoisi Superieur

o

Ditto for my Cramoisi Supeurieur. It has the same color, shading, and fragrance as yours. Mine was from Antique Rose Emporium.

Josh

o

Like I said, I'm glad my life doesn't depend on an accurate ID! :-) Carol

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 22:34

The differences between CS and LP have been discussed here a few times. In particular, I remember what Malcolm Manners had to say in the thread linked below.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Louis Philippe v Cracker Red

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here