Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetgrey

Confessions of a Roseaholic

ms. violet grey
9 years ago

It's been a good weekend. We hosted a small fish fry last night, crinkled fries included. Tilapia is best.

'La Reine' - I am taken aback by her beauty and upright form. Bountiful buds ready to bloom.
I adore her.

Comments (26)

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Mme Isaac Pereire'
    I promise you won't be able to take your eyes off this rose.

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Deuil de Dr. Reynaud' 1st bloom ever.

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rainy Sundays are the best.
    My favorite nursery was busy despite the rain.
    They were a hosting a rose event. Mike Shoup was there (The Antique Rose Emporium).

I bought a green cylinder obelisk.
    I knew I had to have it. I placed it over 'Gertrude Jekyll'.

Obelisks are a statement piece in a garden. It is art, as is garden statuary.

Do you grow short climbers in an obelisk?

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 19:16

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

green obelisk

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Gertrude Jekyll' and green obelisk

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2 for $5.00 rosemary from Whole Foods

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As for the title, confessions...I have none. :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Lol, and you shouldn't! They're beautiful! I like your obelisk too. I don't have those but I do have several on short trellises in the garden just to help them stand up taller. Maybe I'll look for an obelisk though. I like the look of it.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Hi! I have 3 obelisks I love. I agree that they are a great focal point. Right now I am in a potted garden situation and just got started with some new roses. I planned on using mine for 2 honeysuckles I ordered from brushwood and a clematis.
    I love yours ! It's so pretty and gerty looks perfect there!

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Specialty nurseries carry obelisks in different heights and designs. They can get quite pricey.

I am so looking forward to the arrival of my new acquisitions. Anxiously, I await the email, "your order has shipped". For now, I am content visually planning where each rose will reside.

My garden is my canvas.

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 23:53

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

My confessions: I obsess over roses pretty much 24 hours per day every day. When I have trouble relaxing or falling asleep, I plan my garden beds. I devour books about roses, films about roses and blogs about roses. I gaze at internet rose photos when I should be logging into my bank and balancing my checkbook. I order roses when my beds are full. I order more roses even though it means I can't afford to replace my ratty underwear and socks. I "wish list" every juicy piece of rose literature on the Powell's Books website. I coerce friends, family, neighbors and total strangers into planting roses. I stop to smell the roses even when it means I will miss my bus.

Your roses are absolutely delicious, Mauvegirl! I can almost catch the aroma. By the way, I want your tuteurs! The pink Gertie and the sage green Victorianesque structure are a darling combo. Very romantic.

Carol

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Lovely pictures Mauvegirl. Enjoy your wonderful spring.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

mauvegirl, your roses are just lovely and the obelisks are different and prettier than anything I've seen so far. You're so right about their being pieces of garden art in their own right. They'll be magical when your roses are lightly weaving their way through these beautiful structures.

Carol, you might as well be me in everything you say about your obsession with roses, or at least the me that was. That period of high intensity lasted for a very long time, until I had absorbed everything I could. I had to have it all and know it all and it was a glorious time. Since I've been there and done that it's now all a part of me, and I've settled into a more calm and relaxed phase, which is equally joyous and satisfying since I can enjoy the roses in my garden every day, with everything I've ever learned and seen to lend deeper richness and meaning to my very own exemplar of the rose world.

Ingrid

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

ingrid_vc,

I'm not saying that it ain't so.

But

It is very reassuring to think it and write it, isn't it?

Neither of us ordered NEW roses this year, I'm sure.

Fun, all in fun.

But I did of course order roses this year - no, don't ask - they're too young to mention really.

mauvegirl8: thanks for the thread title - quite the hook.

And

PortlandMysteryRose: your post is priceless.

My name is sandandsun and I am (NOT) a roseaholic!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Is it bad that I got all excited and ready for my favorite rummage sale that always has the best garden books a month early and only realized when I was ready to head out the door when I thought to check the opening time again for the MAY sale......

Or that I have been to the rose fields at the local nursery 2x and they just opened last week, only took photos cause for the most part they are not anything I plan on purchasing or fit with my plans-ha and yes I am trying to keep with my plans.

Or that Excel spreadsheet currently open with notes and wish lists......

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

I had to find this thread. You wrote of Mme. Isaac Pereire that we would not be able to take our eyes off of it. I cannot keep my nose out of it!!! I am beginning to research how I can make my own perfume. I would surely like to add MIP to the ingredients. Oh, and it is pretty tooâ¦..

Lynn

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Those two pictures of MIP are glorious and I've heard everywhere that it has an intoxicating fragrance. What a good thing that I don't have room for this monster and that it reportedly doesn't rebloom profusely. It is sooo hard not to covet many of the roses that are pictured on this forum. It ain't fair.

Ingrid

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Lynn, I've grown her in the past...for the fragrance...even though she blackspots. I've even resorted to planting her blackspotty self in a cutting garden by my compost bins because I couldn't live without her gorgeous blooms and intoxicating aroma but couldn't quite stomach the disease and defoliated stems in a more prominent location. I soooooo understand your desire to make perfume. Carol

9 years ago

Carol,

I have placed MIP in the best location available. My arid climate eliminates so much of the fungal disease pressure. MIP is also reported not to like the heat. If this rose makes it through July - mid August, it will be a keeper. My fingers are crossedâ¦.

Lynn

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Lynn, I'll bet yours will be great! Don't forget to give her a little time to settle in and perform at her best. I'll bet this rose is one that will make me jealous of your climate! Carol in Blackspotville

• User
    9 years ago

You're making me so regret giving away my La Reine. I got her in the second half of 2012, and she grew quite well, but wouldn't bloom. I concluded that she was probably not going to be a good repeater in my hot climate.

I'm thinking now that I should have given her another year or two. Your description made me remember that even though I was growing her in afternoon sun only, that she was quite vigorous and upright, not reaching out (and flopping over) for the sunlight.

Maybe I should try again and give her more time?

This post was edited by bellegallica_zone9 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 22:55

9 years ago

bellegallica,

I agree with bluegirl regarding La Reine; and it is very fragrant too. Sorry :(

• User
    9 years ago

Yep, I keep forgetting that sometimes new plants take their time acclimating, putting down roots and putting on size before they're ready to start blooming.

I planted a gardenia last spring, and didn't get a single flower all last year. It's now covered in buds.

Patience--something I'm always short on.

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid, you are right - Mme Isaac Pereire is how should we politely say, "reserved" in the bloom department

9 years ago

Mauvegirl, does your MIP lack blooms or remontancy?

Mine is so new that the verdict is still out, but I knew it would be a gamble when the decision to purchase it was made. I remain hopeful. I've seen amazing images of MIP.

Lynn

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd year in my garden, just don't expect a constant bloomer (like Belinda's Dream).

I'd put her remontancy on par with Gertrude Jekyll.

Beautiful, very beautiful flowers when blooming.