Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humble5zone9atx

Marie van Houtte heat lover?

humble5zone9atx
10 years ago

I have a Marie van Houtte that I need to move. It's current location gets around 6 hours of sunlight but it's new location it will get 8-10 hours of late afternoon heat. Will the new location be too hot? I'm in Houston, TX

Yvette

Comments (18)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I'm afraid only a rose made of plastic would be truly happy in such a situation. In hot climates just about every rose loves morning and early afternoon sun, with late afternoon and early evening shade, when the sun is at its hottest. That's not to say you can't try it, but be prepared to move it again when it shows signs of distress.

Ingrid

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not what I wanted to hear but I certainly don't want to move them again. I might just pot them up and give one away. I bought them without knowing how big tea roses get here. Thanks for the reply!

Yvette

• burntplants
    9 years ago

Ummm...
    Houston is not like SoCal--not at all!
    I live in Katy (a Houston suburb) and ALL of my roses have a West or South-facing exposure with 8+ hours of sunlight. I don't (yet) have Marie van Houtte, but Teas and Chinas do well. I know for a fact that the teas Mrs. RB Cant and Mme Joseph Schwarz can both handle the situation you describe.

I feel bad that I didn't see this post until now.

You can still transplant them in the fall (obviously you can't do it now, too hot!)

I'm also going to recommend that you cross-post questions live this to the Texas forum--thre are lots of us who grow roses in Texas.

9 years ago

I'm sorry if I misled Yvette. To my mind Texas is hot, hot but I'm saying that without ever having been there. It's a very large state and I imagine some parts are hotter than others. I'm surprised that I'm the only one who replied because I believe we do have a number of Texans here.

Ingrid

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

I love Marie Van Houtte. We live in Oklahoma, but already we have been having hot days ---heat index to 107. Marie does fine. None of the roses have large blooms, and I often rinse them in the late afternoon because I want to.

I do not think Marie is any more sensitive than my other china and teas.

Sammy

• jerijen
    9 years ago

It's not the heat, Ingrid -- it's a different KIND of heat. Texas heat makes me PANT. :-) Your heat is dry. WEST Texas is dry. Houston heat is far more humid.

In fact, I am more humid than you (tho far cooler). Marie grew for years on my hillside -- the hottest area we have. She was happy as a clam. But I am coastal, and my "heat" is NOT to be compared with Texas heat.

Yvette -- Yes. Check with Texas gardeners.

And check with the folks at the Antique Rose Emporium, too. They've grown and sold Marie van Houtte for decades, just north of Brenham, so they'd be good judges of your conditions.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Marie does very well for me here in the hot, dry San Fernando Valley. I bought her as a bareroot from ARE last winter and she's been a crashing success. Teas apparently do well here.
    On the other hand, Houston is humid, and she may have quite a mildew problem there. She did here, until the weather warmed up.
    Good luck! She's a beautiful rose, with no two blooms the same.
    Sylvia

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

Dry heat and humid heat are very different. Plants tend to prefer the latter much more than the first (in contrast to people). Also, even when latitude is similar, sun radiation, and thus the effects of too much sun, tends to be stronger in dry climates and conditions than in humid ones (due to the filtering effects of atmospheric humidity). You can have situations where the temp in the shade is the same but the temp under the sun is much higher in dry conditions compared to humid. That's an important factor to consider even before one thinks about the difference in UV radiation.
    Nik

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Humid heat makes you tired before you've even started your day.
    I mean just walking across the parking lot of a store or mall or workplace. It's a pressure you feel in the air. Muggy.

Curly haired? forget it - frizz, frizz, frizz = poofy

Dry heat is hot but still tolerable. Arid.

On the positive note: studies were done where people who have lived in humid climates most of their live appear youthful and age less rapidly than their same age counterparts.

Another plus: Roses waft in humidity

• jerijen
    9 years ago

No WONDER my TX cousins are so youthful! They live in/near Houston! They CHEATED! :-)

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

Bull! That's only the skin which loves humidity! Mold is eating their insides :)
    Sorry, couldn't resist!

No seriously, a dry climate is much healthier.

I've never been to Texas but I have a friend who spent 30 years in Houston as a professor in the University of Houston. He has now retired in Greece. Just the other day he was telling me about the Houston climate. I wouldn't exchange the climate over here with the one over there for all the gold in the world.. Well, hmm dunno maybe I would.. Suffice to say I hate humid climates.
    Nik

9 years ago

You're right Jeri. Thankfully, humidity is something of a foreign concept to me, and you've reminded me that it can make a huge difference in how much heat a rose can tolerate.

Nik, you make a very good point. The difference between a shady area and a sunny area in my garden is mind-boggling. After five minutes in the sun I ask myself how the roses can stand it hour after hour because I literally can't tolerate it. My Marie van Houtte gave up the ghost early on, but I've gotten a little more canny about where I can and can't plant roses, and have come to realize the critical importance of mulching. Yvette mentioned afternoon sun and that also worried me because that's a big factor in failure in my garden. However, the humidity might be a mitigating factor in that respect too.

Ingrid

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm happy to report that Marie van Houtte is doing very well in 8-10 hours of heat and sun and seems to like her spot in the hot sun.

Flowers are 4"

{{gwi:253340}}

{{gwi:253341}}

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Not surprised that doing well. All of my surviving roses are in EXTREME full sun and I'm miserly with water. I truly believe that the moisture the get from ambient humidity goes a long ways towards fulfilling roses' moisture requirements. I live in Richmond.

Newly transplanted do need steady moisture but once you see new foliage, really reduce watering. I've killed my share from overwatering but never from under-w.

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've had plenty of rain this year so I haven't' watered Marie since May but she does get some water from the sprinklers

Yvette

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Awe Texas humidity and the heat, where to start lol. I am not far from Houston, maybe a hour east in the Beaumont area where it's been known to be called the arm pit of Texas, sounds pretty attractive right lol? My roses do fine in full out sun all day. The humidity is stifling and i don't know about it making you look younger but it really sucks when your dressed for work and you walk outside and immediately are covered in sweat and your hair is ruined, but I love where I live so I deal with it. You learn to blot witha Kleenex so you don't ruin your make up lol. The great thing about Texas is you can go 4 hours to Austin and it's more dry heat with very little humidity.
    Ycavaz I'm glad your Marie likes her new home, I may have to put her on my want/need list.

• buford
    9 years ago

I'm glad I found this thread. I have a MVH and it was in a spot that had become too shady. I had to dig up many of my roses because there is major construction going on in my yard right now. The tree that was near the MVH is going to be gone and I am hoping that with more sunlight, she will be less leggy. She does ok, and the blooms are lovely, but she was a bit straggly. Unfortunately two of the other teas I had to dig up may not make it. I am not giving up hope, because I thought they were all dead after last winter, but they didn't like being dug up and put in pots. But MVH is alive and well.