Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Graham Thomas

boncrow66
10 years ago

I am thinking of adding GT next to my golden celebration and was wondering does GT bloom continually? I do know GT gets very bushy and tall.

Comments (16)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Mine blooms in flushes, not continually, the same as my Golden Celebration. Maybe a little more but not by much.

• User
    10 years ago

Yep, a definite flusher. I only get 2 of them (our rose season is short in the UK) but they are guaranteed (which cannot be said of quite a few other supposedly repeat bloomers) and I don't have to do any tedious deadheading either as GT doesn't give a hoot.....not that I could anyway, because it is waving 10foot in the air by then with my raised beds in front - not a chance of flailing about with telescopic things.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Seil and camp! I will probably get one regardless. Glad to know I don't have to dead head. This is my first year planting DA.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I usually get 3 flushes in a season on mine. I do dead head though.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in se Texas zone 8 and it gets pretty hot. I think 3 flushes sounds good and I would def deadhead to get 3. Do the blooms last a long time once they bloom? My GC is loaded with blooms and should be popping open this week

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

I would think twice before planting them side by side: they're similar enough that they wouldn't set each other off, while both can be used effectively with roses or other plants of different colors.
    Melissa

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see your point Melissa, my other choice would be Tess of durbervllle. I will think it over. My local nursery ordered a few DA and 2 of them are GT and Tess. She also had the Prince. I want all 3 lol.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I do think Melissa is right. Both GC and GT are very close in color and form. Together they'd be hard to tell apart. Tess or the Prince would be a better contrast.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I have room for Tess and the prince. I will probably go with Tess next to GC as she will get big and will climb and I just happen to have the perfect spot for the prince. Is the Prince a good repeat bloomer?

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

The Prince is a slow slow grower and a slow bloomer. The plant is not worth its blooms. I would only get the Prince if I could hide it somewhere where I could only see and smell the odd glorious bloom and not notice the plant the rest of the time. It also does not like full day sun since the blooms easily fry so one has to place it where it receives morning sun only. Which, of course, will make it an even stingier bloomer, unless you live in a place like England where the sun is not so much of an issue. It is a weak upright grower. Not recommended especially if you don't want to spray for fungal disease (PM in my case). Come to think of it, I wouldn't recommend it even if you cared to spray. Go for Munstead Wood instead. Its blooms are not as gloriously formal as The Prince's but at least they stand on a viable rose plant.
    Nik

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh that's disappointing to hear about the Prince but thanks for the info, I certainly do not want to waste money on a rose that I'm not going to be happy about. That's why I love this forum, everyone is so willing to share their knowledge. I will just get Tess for now. Thanks for saving me from a bad call.

• rockyflorida
    10 years ago

I have grown The Prince in very hot climates like Texas and pulled it up because it fries in the heat. The blooms are very fragrant but really can't take the heat. And I agree that it is not very robust in general.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I had the Prince - put it in morning sun, the plant never grew well in spite of good care and when it died last year, it was neither mourned nor replaced. Tess of the d'Ubervilles, on the other hand, is a wonderful rose. I have mine on a large fan shaped trellis which it completely covers. I was looking at it this evening - just covered in buds, cannot wait to see it in full bloom! It is thorny, but what a good rose! Skip the Prince, get Tess!
    Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! The Primce is not so princely lol so I will not waste my time on that rose. Judith I am going to get Tess. I have seen on several threads where you have said how much you like yours and we both are in the same east texas climate. Not that it matters because I'm going to get her regardless but does Tess repeat bloom or just have flushes of blooms?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 years ago

Ugh I had Tess on my cart yesterday and put it back!
    I may have to go back..
    I had Grahm in pa and enjoyed him . But have you seen teasing Georgia ? It was awesome for me and bloom color shifted between yellow to a slight apricot. And blooms lasted a while too. There are so man y great Austin's !! Hard not to want them all !

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know what you mean, I want them all too! I think carding mill is very pretty too and is on my list along with Tamora and Mary or sophy rose.