Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tea Roses and Other Things

Posted by ingrid_vc Z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 18:21

I have a row of tea roses flanking a path that winds from the side of the house to the back and right now these are the best flowering of my roses other than SdlM. Not all of them are pictured since the path winds and the remaining ones are blooming less, but here are their names. I cheated since Belinda's Dream (not pictured) is not a tea rose and Hoag House Cream is an early hybrid tea which however looks much like a tea rose. In order these are their names: Le Vesuve, Rosette Delizy, Cl. Lady Hillingdon (which I'm attempting to grow as a bush), Le Vesuve again, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Souvenir d'un Ami, Miss Atwood, Hoag House Cream, Belinda's Dream, William R. Smith, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Mlle. de Sombreuil and another Mrs. B.R. Cant.

I threw in a few other pictures I took today, just for fun. I hope no one minds my including pictures of a Chinese vase I just recently acquired and am still very excited about. Very few people show any interest but I think there are one or two of you here who might like seeing it. It's a tall blue and white vase from the Xangxi revival era, dated around 1880. The bowl to the left is considerably older, from around 1750. The duck is also Chinese and one of my favorite possessions because it's depicted in such a lively and realistic manner. Thank you for looking (yet again).

Tea Rose Row, Aunt Margy's Rose on the right

Tea Rose Row from the opposite end; Miss Atwood is first

Miss Atwood

Marie Pavie

Bishop's Castle

Bishop's Castle, Young Lycidas and Mrs. Dudley Cross

Chinese Porcelain

Ingrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea Roses and Other Things

Boy I sure would like to take that walk with a cold G & T! Looks so pretty. I love your duck....
Susan

o

Tell us about the paintings.

So pretty.

o

Ingrid,

That is a great shot of Miss Atwood. My bandling of MA did not even survive its first summer. All of your teas are wonderful, and your photography captures them in the landscape backdrop so well. Thanks for sharing again.

Larry

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:59

They're gorgeous, Ingrid! I wish I had the room (and a little warmer weather) to grow them in! I always love seeing your porcelain too!

o

Ingrid, your row of tea roses expresses everything I love about that class. Elegant, romantic, lush, soft. Once again, your pathway complements them wonderfully. Your porcelain vase is exquisite! I, too, enjoy the aesthetic of blue and white, although I only collect English copies (various kinds flow blue, transferware, etc.). The duck is wonderful! When the exhibit of antique Chinese art and furnishings was traveling around the country a few years ago, Tom and I spent hours gazing in admiration and amazement! Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 20:33

o

Oh, and I meant to add that if what I'm looking at isn't spring flush, then I don't think I've ever witnessed spring flush. I'm not sure my heart could survive more simultaneous beauty than your Tea Rose Walk! :-) Carol

o

Ingrid, what a spectacular rose walk (not to mention the view)! I am always in awe of those of you who have large and beautifully-tended gardens. I can barely manage my own tiny amount of garden space. How on earth do you tend to all those roses, etc., to keep everything so healthy and wonderful?? I think if it were me, I would repeatedly get distracted by the view and just stare at that instead of pruning, raking, weeding, etc. You are truly a talented gardener! (Also, beautiful china!)

o

The colors go so well together, the paving, the hills and the rose blossoms. No wonder you choose the rose colors you do.

I also appreciate the Chinese porcelain although I do not collect it. Maybe someday. So keep on snapping those photos. They are much enjoyed.

Cath

o

I love the duck, Ingrid, and the porcelain pieces. Beautiful garden pictures, too. :) Gean

o

Beautiful roses, and by all means continue posting photos of your porcelain. I happen to be very fond of ceramics, though, living with the two Goths who make up my family, I can't get anything good because it will inevitably get smashed. It's one of the standing irritations of my family life, which has so many good aspects. So I will enjoy your porcelain in photos instead.
Melissa

o

Ingrid, to walk along your tea rose row, would feel like living inside a fairy tale. With that view and those gorgeous, elegant tea roses. Well!
I am so glad you have a good spring flush after all.
I love all of your porcelain, but find that my eyes keep returning to the bowl on the left. Lovely.
Daisy

o

Wow, I love the tea walk! Most of my teas had to be cut down to the ground because of the cold winter. And there will be construction in my yard and I was going to have to move them anyway. I am inspired by your pictures! How far apart did you plant the teas? I have a better idea now how much room each one needs, but I like the spacing you have. I'd like to let them get natural size and not have to cut back frequently.

PS love the duck.

o

Absolutely love your tea rose walk. The distant hillside covered with trees, rocks, and mist makes a beautiful backdrop. What a lovely, lovely garden! Would love to see it one day. Keep the pictures coming, please.

I don't know anything about porcelain (pottery and tiles are more my thing and I only know a little about them), but I do love the painting. California plein air? I was struck by it. Would I know the artist?

Folly

o

Wonderful pix! I agree with Susan--looks like a wonderful place to unwind with a cocktail. I appreciate seeing the whole shrubs as well.

I love the wall color behind the porcelain--it sets off the blue beautifully.

Anne

o

Ingrid,
What a beautiful setting for your rose garden, which is blooming away like crazy! Great porcelain photos too! Everything looks very healthy!
-Leigh

o

As usual I feel like hugging you all for your wonderful comments and appreciation. I'm glad also that you liked the porcelain and the painting and my beloved duck.

The painting is a German scene by an artist named Junker and was painted in 1947. The picture of the girl is a print of a Van Gogh. My husband painted a large portrait based on this picture as a present to me.

Daisy, our tastes must be similar. Chinese porcelain from the early to mid 1700's is really my favorite of all, and that bowl is very special to me.

I'm glad the pictures hide the mildew and other imperfections, and am grateful for your positive comments about the roses, which, like all living things, are not perfect. The tea roses, by the way, are spaced about 6-7 feet apart, and 8-9 feet would probably have been better, but I think we know how it goes when we plant those tiny bands in what looks like a vast expanse of nothing. It's so difficult to believe that they'll ever grow this large and I'm already having to prune some of them to keep them in line. It doesn't seem to hurt them once they're mature and I've noticed that they quickly put on new growth after a haircut.

mlle melanie, the garden is far from being perfectly maintained, and I manage it by doing a little here and there as often as I can. Not working full-time really helps (and I don't cook much either!). I actually have only 72 roses and quite a few of them are small and young. Many people have lots more and I always wonder how they manage.

Ingrid

o

Ingrid:

What a lovely vignette your porcelain makes against a perfect backdrop. You have an artist's eye for color. And I love your charming duck!

Your tea walk -- such elegant restraint. Your first photograph in this post should be a painting.

jannike

o

I cannot add anything that has not been already said, but the walk, the teas, and photos are lovely.

At this time, I am with Buford. I had to cut back so far, that I am not sure of how much loss I have. It is really inspirational to see your garden after spending a weekend in mine.

All is beautiful.

Sammy

o

It's so lovely Ingrid. Aren't you fortunate to be able to grow Teas so well? I was thinking about how a couple of weeks ago you felt like Spring was over in your garden, that the heat would ruin everything. Now here it is looking wonderful.

o

jannike, sammy and mendocino rose, thank you for your lovely comments.

jannike, I have a feeling your garden is going to be very special. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you've created.

Sammy, I'm so sorry that the winter has been so unkind to you. I hope that your roses will spring back and give you a beautiful spring flush later, by which time my roses will be suffering from the heat.

mendocino rose, the weather has been so strange. After high temperatures it cooled down again and the roses responded. It's supposed to be 92 this week so I need to stop making predictions. It seems that everyone is having weird weather that is constantly changing. Fortunately we had a bit of rain a few days ago which was a real blessing.

Ingrid

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 10:22

Very lovely photos Ingrid. And I love your duck!

I can only gaze wistfully at your tea walk and appreciate it's loveliness. The Teas do not appreciate the same chilly coastal climate that I inhabit as I can't tolerate really hot weather.

I am happy to say that Monsieur Tillier has agreed to live here with me and Lady Hillingdon also seems to be allowing me some blooms so I'm not totally "Tealess."

Thanks for continuing to share your garden with us. By the way, how is your Annie Laurie McDowell doing? Mine is sulking and doesn't seem to be happy at all.

Diane

o

Thank you for your appreciative comments, Diane. I'm sure you can grow some lovely roses that I can't here, the hybrid musk roses being among them.

My ALMD sat there for the longest time after I had transplanted it to a larger pot. I put it in a sunny location but pushed it into a rosemary bush and put branches and rosemary cuttings around it to keep the sun off the black plastic pot. I then gave it some fish emulsion and wild rabbit droppings and that, along with some unexpected rain, seemed to perk it up. It now has one flower (I pinched off the few other buds) which isn't terribly fragrant or spectacular but that's to be expected. I feel as though I've had this rose forever, but I'm encouraged now that it is putting out new growth nicely. Have you fertilized yours? Is it showing any active growth? I wonder if your cooler weather may be slowing it down. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it pulls up its socks soon.

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here