Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Madame Alfred Carriere

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

MAC taken today. What looks like the ground is really the roof of our garage (look at the top of the pic - she is still going up - Nuff said.

jackie

Comments (19)

• fogrose
    9 years ago

WOW WOW and WOW!

Really stunning Jackie. Thanks for showing us.

Diane

• Coastalfog17
    9 years ago

Yours is Marvelous! My MAC is at least 9 feet tall, self-supporting. Its like a tree underneath!
    Next to it is Beauty of Glazenwood, aka Fortune's Double Yellow. I really love big rose shrubs!

• Coastalfog17
    9 years ago

Close- up of Madame Alfred Carriere and Fortune's Double Yellow...

• avalon2007
    9 years ago

Oh, those lovely photos have sparked jealousy in me! My MAC almost never blooms!

It gets long canes, looks perfectly healthy, but just doesn't bloom. When it does bloom, it gives one or two flowers and then quits. Any thoughts on how to coax it?

thanks,
    Avalon

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Lovely!!

• peachymomo
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I just planted the Madam in the fall and I can't wait until she gets nice and big, it will be wonderful to look at the yard and see a pretty rose instead of an ugly fence.

• zjw727
    9 years ago

GORGEOUS roses!!! I love MAC- I finally succumbed and ordered her at the end of last summer, even though I really do NOT have the space for a rose of that size. However, you only live once, and MUCH worse things can happen than having a rose-monster on your hands. MAC is also one of the fastest-growing bands I have ever dealt with.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Coastalfog17 - thanks for the pics of MAC and FDY! My DH and I went on a bike ride this morning, and there is a huge old FDY next to the path at one place, and today it was in full bloom - I am going to take a camera with me on Wed when we will be back there.

Avalon - how old is your MAC? Where is it growing (I mean in your garden - what exposure)? Is it own root or grafted? Soil? I understand some of the soil in Florida is mostly sand - if that is the case it might want some food. Let us know the answers and I'm sure some folks on here will have suggestions to get it to bloom.

Jackie

• avalon2007
    9 years ago

Hi Jackie,

My MAC has been in the ground for 5-6 years and is 6+feet tall, own root. It gets plenty of sun, in sandy but very well augmented soil. It is in an easterly exposure. MAC looks happy- no disease, it's growing rapidly, and gets long, thin canes.

Maybe I should peg it?

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Avalon, pegging or fanning along a trellis or wall can help. Mine was own-root and didn't bloom much (or at all, really) for several years, although as zjw272 mentioned, she's a fast growing band! As I recall, she quite suddenly began blooming after several years. She blooms more each year. Carol

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Avalon, I think Carol has put her finger on it - some huge roses just want to get to what they think is a proper size before blooming much, so they put all of their energy into that.

If there is anything for it to climb on - a house, trellis, tree, outbuilding, I would tie it as horizontally as you can on that thing - they have figured out that roses will climb more if they are actually touching a climbing support. Then as long as it is growing and happy, you just need to wait. Thinking back, I think mine also grew up for several years before blooming a lot.

Jackie

• avalon2007
    9 years ago

OK, it looks like pegging and patience for MAC!

thanks for all the replies,

Avalon

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Last May I bought five own root Mme. Alfred Carrière to cover a structure 10 metres long x 3 metres wide. They arrived by post - each in a 2.5 litre pot. I gave one of these roses to my neighbour and she planted it next to a very tall (approx. 5 metres) stone retaining wall of her home.

I was at her home today and she pointed out that Mme. Alfred Carrière had just had first bloom for the season and that she was covered in blooms about to open. She is already more than 1.5 metres tall.

I took this photo with my phone so I apologise if the quality isn't so great but I just thought that it might be interesting for others to see how much MAC has grown in less than 12 months.

Tricia

• Mountie
    9 years ago

Tuderte,
    How did your neighbor's Mme Alfred Carriere do this summer? Do you have any photos? How about your own roses? : )

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Mountie, they're AMAZING!!! Now, if I can just work out what's happened to all the photos in my iPhoto library since I upgraded my operating system (and iPhoto) a couple of days ago I will post some shots.

In the meantime, I have no idea what's happened to a lot of my photos :-(

Cheers
    Tricia

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, Jackie. Nice to see MAC so happy in her natural environment.

Rosefolly

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Hello again Mountie,

This is my neighbour's Madame Alfred Carrière - I realise that there's no indication of scale here but the flowers are at about my head height (I'm 1.65m tall - about 5 ft 6 in). Her home is a watchtower built in the 12th century and the stone wall you see in the photo is a supporting wall for her courtyard. In fact, the bottom of the iron balustrade you see in the photo is more than 3 metres above the level where the rose is planted.

The idea is that by next Summer she will be able to train some of the canes of MAC along this iron balustrade (which is on one side of her entrance courtyard.

I will post a separate photo of my 'rustic arbour' so you can see how much it has grown this year.

Cheers
    Tricia

• Mountie
    9 years ago

Tricia,
    Thank you for posting a photo of your neighbor's MAC and for the description. I would not have realized that the rose is taller than I am if you hadn't described the height of it and the wall behind. It is going to be beautiful when it is trained along the balustrade! I look forward to seeing photos of your own roses too. Thank you for sharing the beauty.