Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanbachman_gw

Old rose, what is it? pic here

SusanBachman
11 years ago

Here is one of my mom's old roses. We found it growing under an oak tree where she now lives which is her childhood home. It is old and she remembers it was there as long as she can remember she says.

It blooms once in the spring and has a nice fragrance. Any ideas to point me in the right direction. The blooms are not very large.

I would like to propagate it so it can grow in a sunnier location.

Thanks, Susan

Comments (6)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

I don't know which, but it surely looks like some type of Gallica. Of all the old once-blooming garden roses, there are more surviving cultivars in this group than any other, so figuring it out might seem slightly daunting. I'd suggest looking through Vintage Gardens' Gallica inventory, then cross-referencing on HelpMeFind to see more pictures.

:-)

~Christopher

Vintage Gardens' Gallicas:
    https://www.vintagegardens.com/roses.aspx?cat_id=16

HelpMeFind rose search:
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php

• eahamel
    11 years ago

A Portland is another possibility. I have Portland from Glendora and it looks a lot like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portland from Glendora

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

But she said "...it blooms once in the spring..."

:-)

~Christopher

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

In marginal locations (or when the other plants shade out), sometimes the roses bloom only once, but let them out into full sunlight, and fall blooms will also come.
    You may also find that the blooms have deeper colors once they are grown in the sun.

(A damask gets a suggestion based on the leaf texture.)

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

It also could be a hybrid bourbon. I'm thinking it looks a bit like 'Charles Lawson'. Does anyone know if 'Charles Lawson' is hardy to zone 6? It is a common found rose in the SF Bay Area.

Rosefolly

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

I wonder too if it isn't a hybrid, judging by the leaves; 'Charles Lawson' seems like a good point of departure, though I seem to recall it has pretty large flowers--it grows in Olympia, Washington as well. But a Hybrid Bourbon or Hybrid Perpetual type.
    Susan, how big is the plant? Do you have any pictures of buds, thorns, hips?
    If it has suckers at the base, you could take a sucker and plant it where you want it.