Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Tolerance: Renae vs. Veilchenblau?

Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 19:02

Would like to hear from people growing these roses in shady situations and what their experiences are.

I have a north wall spot and am wondering if either of these roses would work.

Thanks,
Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Tolerance: Renae vs. Veilchenblau?

My veilchenblau grows under a truly huge dense eugenia tree. It is on the South facing side of a fence, just West of the tree. It gets a lot of shade. At this time of year, perhaps 2 hours of sun max. It blooms fine - pic attached.

Jackie

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 22:48

That looks beautiful Jackie. Very helpful.

Diane

o

Both should work OK. Renae usually flowers much of the year, even winter, as long as the weather is mild and wet enough, if that helps. Kim

o

Diane, I grew Veilchenblau at my last residence in a pretty darn shady spot. She performed admirably! She never received direct sunlight, she had to stretch to the top of a deck to escape the shadowy underworld of a north-facing location, and she was planted in (smashed into) a poorly amended, narrow space between the concrete foundation of the deck and a pathway. Tough, tolerant, gorgeous, thornless (or nearly?) rose with a light, sweet fragrance. Close to zero disease. Easily maintained with pruning after bloom. Highly recommend her! Carol

o

I agree that either one should do well in part shade. I have both, and even in my cold zone they seem to thrive under limbed up trees. In your more intense sun zone, even dappled light should be sufficient for these two.

Cynthia

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 23:40

Many thanks everyone. Both of them sound like winners and I'll try them in different locations. Thornless is a plus.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here