Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Grandmother's Hat--Where to buy, or alternates?

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I first posted here last year when I first discovered OGRs, and I really dragged my tail figuring out where to plant all my favorites. I had asked for recommendations for a "polite" climber because I have a narrow wall space and a relatively small planting border along my foundation... and I knew that Zephy would get too big. The consensus was to find an upright bush.

So I have now settled on Grandmother's Hat, but just realized that Vintage Gardens no longer has this as a band. It's custom root only, and I don't think I want to wait that long. (I also can't see on Gregg's website whether they are even doing an open house this year.)

Does anyone in Northern California (or online, for that matter) still sell Grandmother's Hat? I don't think I'd mind driving up to Sacramento, even, if the cemetery had it for sale.

In my research on VG's website, I came across several other "upright" looking bushes (based on Gregg's drawing of their growth habit), that looked pretty. Can anyone talk about these varieties, how thorny they might be, how they would look up the side of my house.

Thanks,

KMama

Katie's McNear HP

Robert Duncan

John Hopper

Paul Neyron

Larry Daniels

Marchesa Boccella

Baronne Nathaniel de Rothschild

Horace Vernet

Comments (7)

• ffff
    12 years ago

Unless she just ran out, Burling should have some bands in stock as "Grandma's Hat."

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Send her an email at BurlingtonRoses@aol.com Nine chances out of ten, she has them. Feel free to tell her we sent you. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlington Roses site

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Paul Neyron -- A rust-bucket of the first water in any Southwestern garden I've heard of.
    This is a big, robust plant, with huge beautiful blooms, but in California, it is only for those dedicated enough to strip away all foliage after each flush of bloom to avoid a massive incursion of rust.

Larry Daniels -- The light pink version of "Grandmother's Hat," and of equal value (assuming you have a non-virused plant, which I did not).

Tina Marie -- the blush-to-white version of "Grandmother's Hat" is equally lovely, and virus-free in all versions I've encountered.

The Sacramento City Cemetery grows GramHat and Tina Marie nowadays, tho their TM is not as mature as their GramHat.

I hope to have Grandmother's Hat for the Silent Auction at the Celebration of Old Roses, next month, in El Cerrito, CA.

Jeri

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I can't speak to how the others will be as far as size as I haven't grown most of them. I do know Grandmother's Hat, Larry Daniels and Paul Neyron very well. Paul Neyron has terrible disease issues. Grandmother's Hat and Larry Daniels are much better choices in most instances. Ever flowering, intensely fragrant, nicely healthy. Personally, I'd think they'd be your best bets. Kim

• kristimama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I go away from the computer for such a short time and all you fabulous folks are right here so helpful. Thank you!

Jeri... I will definitely be at the Celebration of Old Roses. I've gone the last several years with my mom who has dozens of OGR. Do you have a table at the event? I usually arrive towards the end of the event and have only seen Gregg there selling for Vintage. Is Grandmother's Hat something that---assuming you are able to bring it---can be reserved? Or is it a "first come first" served sort of thing? Usually I'm late to the event, but last year I came about 40 minutes before the doors opened and some of the vendors outside seemed a bit particular about the etiquette of arriving early... as if it just wasn't done... so I wasn't planning to arrive early this year... that is, unless I have to in order to secure a GH. ;)

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

-kmama

• kristimama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, in my excitement about this rose I seem to have read Jeri's post wrong. Thought it was for sale. Guess I'll have to bid big at the silent auction and hope I win it.

Thanks,
    kmama

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Yes. You've got it.
    We'll Silent Auction it -- along with several other very choice things -- profits to benefit Heritage Roses Group.

I hope to make a catalog shortly, so everyone can see exactly what we have.

Jeri

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living