Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fragrant Plum and Wild Blue Yonder in southern NH

Posted by sunnysideuphill 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 19:11

I have found a family nursery in western Mass that has 4 1/2 pages of potted roses coming in May! Some are HT's, and yes there are a few Knockouts, but their catalog also lists six groundcover roses, what they call landscape roses including several of the Carefree series, a rugosa and six grandifloras, including these two.I have always loved the colors of these two in pics - does anyone have experience with these in southern NH?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fragrant Plum and Wild Blue Yonder in southern NH

I was checking on Fragrant Plum, and someone in alkaline Missouri mentioned that it's a stingy bloomer, BUT probably more prolific in a more acidic soil like the east coast.

I also have questions about Wild Blue Yonder since it's on my order from Chamblee. I wonder does it make a good cut flower, how's the fragrance? and does it tolerate alkaline soil? I put soil acidifer for Rhododrendrons & Azaleas on my roses before the rain, and the result has been great: dark green leaves. Thank you for any info. on Wild Blue Yonder.

o

helpmefind lists warmer zones for these two than mine - but I have a sheltered space for them - any input, folks?

o

I checked on Fragrant Plum regarding hardiness. Celesterose in zone 4 grows it, and Stan in Colorado, zone 5a grows it. It's a grandiflora so it's bit hardier than hybrid tea. What held me back from Fragrant Plum is the report of only 10 blooms per 2 years for alkaline soil. It has Kordes in its heritage. There are lots of German offsprings from multiflora.

o

I grow Wild Blue Yonder, but I'm in a warm zone. The fragrance is very good and strong. I don't do cut flowers, but the blooms don't shatter easily, so that part will work great. The blooms last a nice long time on the bush, too, before fading. The best thing about WBY is definitely the color! It's a really pretty rose.

o

Thank you, meredith for the info. that Wild Blue Yonder doesn't shatter. I agree that it's a pretty color. I like WBY best in the display of mauve roses in Rose Gallery Forum. Everything short here got eaten by chipmunks, so I'm leaning toward grandiflora - they are taller.

o

I grow WBY in Dallas, TX (alkaline soil & brutal summers)- it is one of my favorites. I gave a WBY to my mom and she grows it in Kansas City, Missouri and it has done well. The color of the bloom is very changable, depending on temps. It has been a good cut rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here