Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nobody gives a hoot

Posted by kittymoonbeam 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 19:14

I just came here to rant. I've got a nice flush beginning and some of the world's best roses and nobody gives a hoot. I had my parents over for dinner and they didn't say anything. My dad went out back and looked like he was trying to find the missing grass. My guy hasn't even bothered to come by and look. He lives in the same city. Of course my sister praises them but then we live together and she has to hear me talking about them constantly. The neighbors don't even try to smell any that are right on the walk and those are the fragrance champions. I've got the nicest ever SdlMs going right now and roses hanging out of trees. I have roses planted where they get just the right angle of sun lighting them up like lanterns. Is everyone too busy or so jaded or do they just wish I'd conform and get a lawn and junipers like everyone else. I had to come here and say I think all the year long work is worth it even if nobody else gives a hoot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nobody gives a hoot

I didn't mean to say I had the best roses in the world. I meant some of the nicest varieties for my area IMO.

Fragrant Masterpiece

o

Bolero

o

Dream Come True glowing away side lit by the sun

o

Jasmina's just getting started. The only person who loves this is my neighbor who says she can see it from her high placed window in her bathroom when she comes out of the shower.

o

Your garden is exquisite, Kitty. I have the same problem as I live in the boonies. However, my family are all gardeners, so at least they notice everything. My DH just had surgery and we've had a steady parade of visiting nurses and physical therapists for the last two weeks and only one noticed the garden which is really popping right now. Although one of them saw his first hummingbird ever and was ecstatic over that.

o

Evelyn showing her pink side.

And I could say the same about my Camellias which are still going. When I go, they will all say..." you remember the lady who made hoop dresses and lived on the corner and used to truck in big trailers full of horse manure... didn't she grow roses or something?"

o

They are likely to appreciate you in hindsight...i feel your pain. I often think we ought to form a private garden tour group and set a date to go around looking at the gardens of other gardeners in our towns. Nothing too fancy...just iced tea and accolades.

o

Don't worry about them, I think you have a beautiful rose garden.Some people just don't "get it ". I know I'm the only one on my land who gives a " hoot". My husband will look at them when I ask him to , but otherwise doesn't care, as he put's it " he cares because he knows I love them and they make me happy, so that makes him happy " So I know how you feel!

o

In Nashville, Tennessee in Germantown, a historic neighborhood where my daughter still lives, for years they had an event they called the Garden Guzzle - everyone walked around and looked at the gardens that were open to view and a wagon with wine and beer followed to each destination. It was the high point of my spring.

Some of us gardeners are just NOT tea drinkers - sorry if I offend and of course anyone who did not guzzle was still welcome..

o

I know, sigh...I'm pretty much the only person in my neighborhood who doesn't have just grass and an air conditioner in the backyard.

BUT, I get so much pleasure from my gardening, and that's where it's at, along with posting here where it is appreciated.

Don't give up, your roses are beautiful!

o

Oh, I do know how you feel. That could have been my late husband Alana was quoting! I think that is what forms rose societies and garden clubs: you need other like-thinking folks whose eyes won't glaze over when you start to talk about your plants. And it's why we all come here as well.
Gardening is something we do to bring ourselves pleasure. Your garden is beautiful, Kittymoonbeam - and you deserve every lovely flower in it!

o

I totally hear you! My front yard is full of roses in full bloom and a friend that lives near me called me the other day to run over and look at someone's yard down the street that had 2 or 3 pathetic cactus in bloom!

No word at all about my roses.

Sigh.

o

Also, meant to say, I love your roses. Jasmina is extraordinary!

o

Kitty, your garden is exquisite! You have cast your pearls before swine. If you were my neighbor I would volunteer to weed it just for a few of those blooms.
I hate to sound like an old fart but people nowadays just really don't give a damn about much of anything and its sad.
I get so much flack for the money and time I devote to my roses. My response is:
I find great joy in this and it beautifies the world, or at least my part of it.
There is a saying in AA:
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
Thank heavens for this forum and other like minded folks who appreciate beauty, patience, nurturing and striving for a peaceful harmonious planet.
When I see one of your photos, or any photos, posted here it brings me great joy and it sets an example for what I'd like my garden to be someday.
For me it is a huge disappointment that I can't get my daughters into the garden. They would find solace there.
Thank you for sharing! And post more photos!
Susan

o

I appreciate them!!!
I know what you mean. I feel I am dragging people outside and pressing their faces down to look - to REALLY look- at my garden. I feel the same way about my cross stitch. That's why I love the internet - connecting with like-minded people who can appreciate and encourage. :)

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:16

Kitty, that's what this place is for! Your garden and roses are all beautiful and WE appreciate them and all your hard work!

o

Not nobody, Kitty. I think there are many here people here on the forum that look forward to your seeing your gardens, your gorgeous roses -- and reading your lovely comments. You are an inspiration!

But I understand how you feel too. While my gardens and roses are young, I still think they are something to notice. And yet, even when we've had friends who are gardeners over for a visit, they pass through without a comment. And my neighbors tend to be more interested in how hole-y my jeans are when I am out grubbing about than the loveliness I am trying so hard to create. But then, on the other hand, last year when my roses were in full bloom, we had to have some repair work on our roof and the contractor, after he arrived, stood outside and leaned against his truck for a long time. My husband finally went out to greet him and he said he was just admiring the roses, that they were spectacular.

I would be willing to bet that most of your neighbors (there are always those stalwart lawn and juniper advocates) very much admire your gardens and will take the memory of their beauty with them wherever they go.

And, finally, it matters not at all what other people think or do or do not appreciate. In the end, like Anne Cecilia said, flower gardening is something we do to nourish ourselves. And don't you think Mother Earth loves and rewards us for it?

o

Kitty,
The guy next door is posting to his car forum that no one noticed that he waxed the car.
Just kidding. I've said it before, I don't understand people who don't love gardening. And yours is gorgeous.

A gift for you Kitty:

HOOT HOOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

So Sorry Kitty!!

If it helps, my guys loves that I love roses and is always pointing out "roses" to me....and some times they actually are roses....lol

I would love to come and tour your garden.

I really love that Garden Guzzle Off the Wagon idea. Think I will bring that up tomorrow night to the neighborhood.

I think it makes a big difference if you live in an area where the homes are new and matching or older and people have had time to build their own gardens.

o

There are those who don't notice at all and those who do notice but don't speak up for one reason or another. And there are lots of people who do notice that we don't notice noticing. I met a woman in the vet's waiting room and we started chatting and it turned out she lived just a few streets away from me and she said, "Oh, you're the lady with all the roses." I've had people cruising garage sales stop and get out and smell the roses. And several of the workman I've had at the house for repairs have asked if they can bring their wives to see the garden. Also, I invite my neighbors to help themselves to blooms. It includes them in the garden. When I first extend the invitation, I find out they have noticed, because they start telling me which are their favorite roses or how much their mother loved the garden when she visited. I also invite the garden clubs and manny come to visit either as a group or individually.

So, have a neighborhood garden party this spring. I think you will surprised at how many really have admired your garden.

o

Since my gardening is very limited these days you have no idea how wonderful it is to visit the Forum and drink in all the beauty---
I really appreciate all the hard work everyone has put into their gardens
Sure wish we all lived close enough to visit in person and enjoy the beauty and the fragrance of everyone's garden
Please keep the pictures coming-----I for one do give a HOOT --LOL

Florence

o

Butch Cassidy said it all: “Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.”

I feel your pain, Kitty. Every time a car goes by and doesn't stop & roll down the window, I think, sheesh! And my garden sticks out like a sore thumb right across from a stop sign! But your garden is much more beautiful than mine!! We need more photos. Really, lots more. We're the ones that matter, the ones who give a hoot, so pour them on.

Week before last the Rooms To Go delivery guy (a very personable young man with obvious taste) announced upon my opening the door that he'd walked THROUGH the garden (instead of on the sidewalk) and enjoyed it very much, said it was "refreshing". It made my day!! The backorder is coming tomorrow, and I hope the same kid is driving. At least I'll get a compliment from him! And yes! I love compliments! Gee, do beautiful women feel this way if they don't get noticed all the time?

I should add that I have taken hundreds of photos this spring and only done one blog post in like three weeks because I'm too tired. So it's just me and my camera appreciating the garden this spring. (Taking photos is my antidote for being ignored.) Let's face it...nobody else does give a hoot!

Sherry

P.S. Except us!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

Like so many people who've posted here, I well know the frustration of having a fascinating, little appreciated garden. I'm luckier than many, as my sister is a passionate gardener, so that I can always talk about plants to her, though as she lives in Florida she doesn't come over; and my husband works hard in the garden and loves it in his way. I have one neighbor who likes to come over occasionally to see the roses, and she often brings a friend with her. This forum is really important, as are my handful of Italian gardener friends. They're all too busy or too far away to come other than extremely rarely, but we talk on the phone and write to each other and occasionally send plants by mail. I guess you could say that I'm relatively fortunate.
I made up my mind a while back that I would have to give up any idea of my garden's benefiting anybody but me (and the plants). Perhaps, as catsrose says, more people notice the garden than I realize. I do believe that in any great effort to better the world, there are likely to be a thousand failures for one success. If one person sees the garden and it causes him or her to shift course and put energy into creating life and beauty, then my efforts will have borne some fruit.
Sometimes I think my garden is an exercise in egotism, but how many people spend their resources in a more constructive fashion? Not that many, perhaps.
My daughter, now a young adolescent, is not very garden oriented, but growing up with me and my plants has left its mark. She has a little garden bed of her own which she occasionally fools around with, and recently she requested that I add an epimedium to my order to replace one I'd lost. She can tell one plant from another, knows some names, and has at least a vague idea of what plants need to grow. What knowledge she possesses about plants has been largely passively acquired, but it's part of her, and it causes her to see the world with different eyes than she would had she not grown up with a garden.
Keep your courage up, Kitty: you're doing a good thing. You're beautifying the world, and giving a home to plants that need a place to grow. I do hope you find some other gardeners nearby! But, as Anna Sewell wrote, "Is it not better to lead a good fashion than to follow a bad one?" Gardening seems to be out of style these days, and that's all the more reason that you should be out there growing your roses.
Melissa

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 0:08

o

Give a garden party timed for the height of the spring flush. Make it a potluck. Do it yearly and people will start to anticipate your roses and the fun they will have enjoying them. It will not be long before people start to associate you and the roses, and think of both with smiles on their faces.

Rosefolly

o

I love you all. I think it was just getting me down that the ones closest to me don't seem to get what I'm all about. Maybe I think about it too much. But this is the time we all wait for isn't it. When the weather is just right, the leaves are new and shiny and the first roses are a long anticipated sight. All our planning and choosing and worrying about who goes where and will the spacing be right and will the colors look nice next to each other. Then there's the matter of will the rose need protection from hottest sun or wind and so forth. There have been days when I have gone to bed with rose cultivation on my thoughts and woken up and the first thoughts I had were of roses.

I love seeing the colors and scents of the new arrivals and the progress of all the plants. Most of all, I just like being with them and having the plants surround me and being in a beautiful restful space. I like seeing how everyone's gardens are so different. And I love seeing all your pictures.

Happy Earth Day to all of you and thanks for making it a better place to live.

o

Rosefolly: I like the idea of a springtime garden party!

Kitty: Keep those pics coming so that we can not only appreciate; but, can try to emulate. I am also in SB Co., so I can see your successes in a similar zone.

Thanks, Nancylee

o

Noooo, the pic you posted along the front pavement still remains in my mind - I recall thinking then how lucky your neighbours were (and hoping they were appreciative). And, Kitty, I bet they were/are. Don't underestimate the effects of beauty in the world - sometimes people feel uplifted without really knowing why - a fugitive scent, a fleeting glimpse through greenery. No my dear, just keep on, keeping on because everyone would miss it if it wasn't there.

And yes, I sometimes wonder why I spend so much time and effort on what can seem like a selfish indulgence - for sure we get some nice jams and jellies but even so, the allotment only gets seen by other plot-holders....and they only grow vegetables.
I suspect most of my friends just go along to get along.....but little seeds bear fruit....all three of my children are gardeners and Mr.Campanula has even mentioned going on a gardening visiting trip.......in our horsebox.

o

One of the posts above reminded me that some of the greatest "appreciators" of my rose gardens have been workmen. I remember several guys working on the rehab of my ancient garage. Not a word about the plants all day--they were working on the roof--but as the day ended and they were getting ready to leave, a couple commented that the central bed --viewed from the roof--looked kinda shaped like a heart (they seemed quite pleased at that thought) and one wanted to know what that red flowering thing was (a rose I told him) and then he went over and stared at it for a couple minutes. His fellow worker asked if he could bring his wife over to see the garden. They seemed quite bashful about talking about the garden, but really wanted to say something to me about the garden before they left.

Another time I had some workmen working on the house--no comment all day, but I'll never forget that fellow that, as he finished cleaning up the mess, raced over to where a chair set under a tree next to a garden in full bloom. He sat there hanging on to that chair like he wasn't going to leave even if someone tried to pry him off the chair. He must have set there for about 10 minutes just staring at the flowers--ignoring his fellow workmen who called out that they were leaving. It was quite something watching that fellow. He never did say a word to me about the garden, however--but I was touched by his reaction to the flowers.

I've also had workmen who commented on how good the backyard smelled. They have odd ways of letting you know that they enjoy the gardens.

So my advice is, have a bunch of workman over to work on the house--and I bet you'll get some garden appreciation before the day is over. LOL

Kate

o

You aren't alone Kitty. Your post came just in time for me, as the last couple days I've been having a temper tantrum that my husband doesn't listen to me when I talk about my roses! My roses have not yet bloomed, but I did just pick up a nice order from Roses Unlimited. One of my choices was a mutabillis and daily I comment about how exciting it is to see the blooms change color from day to day and my family could care less. Months ago I told him about my selections, when I bought them home and told him where they would go his response was he didn't know I had these plans! Well if he had listened to me in the winter when I was placing my order overly excited about my choices he would have known!
Fortunately I have a next door neighbor that comments about my blooms every year, and gets excited when I offer her cuttings for her vase. She can never move.
Thank you Kitty also for taking the time to post your pictures, as i truly do enjoy looking at everyone's blooms here.

o

Gardening can be a lonely hobby.
I enjoy growing roses that cant be grown in Washington...teas, chinas, burbons, etc.
When I first joined the Master Gardeners club here, 2 came to my house in disbelief.
But whe the sun is shining and the blooms are running its sublime.
I just wish my garden was more mature.
Well out to spread some more manure.

o

Kitty - your garden is lovely, and I suspect that many more people notice it and appreciate it than you realize. I live on a very busy street - autos and a huge amount of pedestrian traffic - we are between the downtown of our town, the college, the high school, an elementary school, and several large residential neighborhoods.

Every time I am working in the front of the garden some pedestrian (usually 30 something or older - the kids are too busy staring at their phones or each other) stops to tell me how beautiful it is, or how much it means to them, or how often they walk by it and it makes them happy. The tiny children love it, of course, and will pick just one flower - usually not a rose but a tiny daisy or something, and stare at it for a long time.

Anyway, most of the people who comment do not seem to know anything about the roses, or gardening, but it makes me happy that they like it.

The back garden gets noticed by our crew of 5 cleaning ladies who come once a week. They park their car back at the end of the driveway, and when I come out to say Hi at this time of year, they are all wandering around looking at the flowers. Usually only one of them speaks English, but you can tell how happy they are to enjoy the flowers.

Jackie

o

Hi Kitty: Thank you for all those inspirational pics. I think people are embarrassed to sniff roses. I sneaked up to my neighbor's Rock-n-Roll rose to sniff, but I was afraid of being caught .... even my kid said, "don't sniff it, Mom, they may see you!"

My husband doesn't sniff roses in front of me, but I caught him in the act many times (behind his back). People assume that roses have no scent like the ones in the store ....

o

SHAME ON THEM! PHILISTINES!!! Pearls before swine & all that!

Really, I give a hoot, as do others here--you've posted to the right place. I live vicariously through the gorgeous photos folks post here. They are my inspiration, my hope & dreams for my trashy, blistered desert "yard" (hahahaha) inhabited with a forest of stunted baby band roses.

So many of the observations posted are just spot-on with my own experiences. My brothers could care less--except that the older recommends I pull out the native wildflower "weeds" I've so carefully preserved & make more room for cacti. Really, the gardening is like housework--nobody gives a HOOT except to complain, grrrr.

But my sweet Dad will come in to tell me about a blossom he found: "have you seen THIS? did you see that beautiful rose?", (and of course, I have, but I say: "Oh, no, SHOW me, wow, that IS sooo pretty").

And the observation about workmen/ladies--so true! I sent a guy home with a load of mint, another with a rooted cutting, discussed flowers with the mailman, who observed how great the front yard was, etc.

That's what I enjoy about GardenWeb. You can share triumphs, sob on shoulders, ask newbie questions without ridicule. And the folks here give a HOOT. I think your roses are lovely--please keep posting :)

o

I saw this pic on Facebook, and I think it fits. Campanula's comment corrected my perspective on this whole topic. She said, "Don't underestimate the effects of beauty in the world... No my dear, just keep on keeping on because everyone would miss it if it wasn't there." To a great degree, gardening is a selfless act and a selfish one at the same time. It is a grand gift to the world and to ourselves. Taking my eyes off me usually corrects my attitude and makes me feel much better about stuff. This scripture came to mind.

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galatians 6:9

Sherry

o

I learned that lesson when my cousin and his wife and daughter came over to spend the day. My garden was in full flush, and since the wife was an avid Orchid grower, I thought they'd really appreciate the garden.

They were completely bored with me telling them stories about each rose, and I quickly cut the tour short. The only rose they stopped at was Double Delight, because they could identify it, and they were way more focused on how impressed they were that they knew one.

I kinda huffed about that for a day, then decided - no more garden tours. My garden is for me, me and me. And I glow with every stop and every rose, on every day, and just bask in the wonders of nature.

The dogs LOVE the garden. People at work do oogle over the daily bouquets. And when I feel like I want more, I post photos here - knowing, THIS is the place where we can really share and understand one another and our passion.

And oh boy, when I'm wanting that feeling of sharing this passion, do I just thank the stars that there is a place in the world where there are wonderful people, 24x7 who are as nuts as me.

And Kitty - you K N O W, your garden is just other-worldly!!!

o

Do you belong to a rose club? My rose club does an 'open garden' and a member or members gets to display their yard to the group. I volunteered last year, but my, as did everyone's, yard peaked too soon and there were no roses blooming.

I guess I'm pretty lucky that many of my neighbors comment on my yard. Probably because I am the only one who doesn't just have the usual junipers and hollies.

o

Good advice, Rosefolly. And while you're having the get-together, take a poll of which is the best-smelling rose, which is most beautiful, which is the all-around favorite. Maybe a prize for someone who chooses all three winners. One of my grandsons is now interested in roses because I made him smell all of them one day and tell me which had the best fragrance. Sometimes you have to figure out a way to get people up close and personal. They'll find out they like it. Lou

o

I saw this pic on Facebook, and I think it fits. Campanula's comment corrected my perspective on this whole topic. She said, "Don't underestimate the effects of beauty in the world... No my dear, just keep on keeping on because everyone would miss it if it wasn't there." To a great degree, gardening is a selfless act and a selfish one at the same time. It is a grand gift to the world and to ourselves. Taking my eyes off me usually corrects my attitude and makes me feel much better about stuff. This scripture came to mind.

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galatians 6:9

Sherry

o

I have two passions that no one else seems to give a damn about. The first of course is antique roses and the other antique Chinese porcelain. I belong to a porcelain forum chock full of world-wide and world-class collectors and, guess what, they all complain about the same thing, that hardly anyone looks at their often extremely valuable and pricey collections! So, I have the garden outdoors and my porcelain collection indoors that almost everyone ignores. And yet, and yet, the daily happiness that I derive from both of these is priceless and has enriched my life more than I can say. Being on forums with people who completely understand what I love, and share that feeling, adds more to the experience than I can possibly express. The rest of the world that wanders in oblivious to all this beauty I've decided I just have to feel sorry for - but it still irks me!

Ingrid

o

Well, you have all made me feel so fortunate.

Our garden simply isn't tour-level exquisite, and we are ALWAYS, CHRONICALLY, behind. But while our neighbors aren't perfect, and some of them are problem children in one way or another, they DO tell us the roses are lovely, and they ask about them, and smell them.

Jeri

o

When somebody notices, send them home with roses. Especially for men to take home to their wives. Especially the workmen.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 17:46

No, someone notices and drives by your house just to see the garden. We touch people we'll never know in good ways we can never imagine. So grow that garden for yourself and for that one person you'll never meet. Our good acts ripple outwards...
 photo huntj3671_zpsf7391154.jpg

o

Well what a bunch of ingrates! Neighbors come to my garden to just walk through and enjoy it, and I welcome them and tell them they can come whether I'm home or not.

Most days when I am working in the garden, a gentleman in one of the scooter chairs goes by with his little dog on a leash and he always stops to chat about the garden.

Last year, I did not work in the garden properly,and at the beginning of spring, a lady driving by blew the horn then stopped and told me she had been worried about me the previous year and had asked people what had haoppened to "the flower lady". She hoped I didn't mind her calling me that. You can bet plenty of people drive by and enjoy, and probably call you the flower lady too.

Your garden is so gorgeous, we all enjoy it.
kay

o

I agree Michael, give the workmen roses to take home. We've had so much construction here. Yesterday the cabinet guy came by and said "your garden is gorgeous!" (and it is all in fits and starts right now).
I gave him my prized bloom of Prairie Sunrise. It made his day!
Kitty your photos AND all the photos here bring me great joy! Particularly when I have nothing blooming. It is a cool drink of water in the drought.
I have enjoyed everyone's thoughts too.
Susan

o

Kittymoonbeam,
In the words of my 10 year old daughter:
WOOT! WOOT!

And according to internetslang.com:

What is WOOT?
WOOT is "Hurrah (Wow, Loot!)" or "Want One Of Those"

Your roses are AWESOME!!

Love,
twinkletoad

o

I agree with what everyone is saying here- even if I don't HEAR the compliments, I am sure there are some who enjoy my roses.

We often have large groups of bikers ride past our house in the summer, and you can hear them coming from a mile away. I always listen, hoping to hear a remark about the roses- but never do.

I did have one neighbor (not a neighbor, but a friend in the community) stop by my house a few days ago and tell me she has seen such improvement in the beds from years prior to this year. She is an avid gardener herself, so to get this compliment from her really means something to me.

When I share bouguets with coworkers I am always asked "what flowers are these?" Most often they are thought to be Peonies. Most cant believe they are roses - because they have never seen antique, cupped, many petalled roses- they have only ever seen the run of the mill Hybrid Teas.

I used to be one of these people- I thought roses = HT's. When a friend showed me a catalog with antiques in it, I was hooked. I remember saying "well these roses are pretty" and I haven't looked back since.

I do so love looking at everyone's pictures here- I hope to see more soon!

-Marleah

o

Too bad we don't all live in the same area. We would have the most beautiful neighborhood in the world, right? (:

o

I've found that workmen, construction folk, and contractors not only tend to have sharp and curious eyes, but also well understand what it is to work with one's hands and create something, so have an "in" into appreciating horticulture. I recall some years ago when I was watering the garden while some masons or at least wall-builders were constructing a property-line wall on the far edge of the property. I nearly jumped out of my shoes when suddenly a strange voice came up behind me. It was the foreman, who had taken note of my watering technique (slow progress with deep deep watering) and was asking me about it, noting in the course of the conversation that that was doubtless why my plants were growing and blooming so well. My point is that, when something interfaces with what someone's familiar with (this foreman was clearly filing this in his mental file "Successful Techniques with Tools [a hose, in this case]", making him comfortable with talking about it), they get the confidence to say something; conversely, those who are vaguely struck by the beauty of something may be inhibited from saying anything because they don't know how to give proper voice to their feelings, and don't want to embarrass themselves. Moral: Present the best garden you can--it will be appreciated whether people say so or not.

o

I think there is a deeper problem at work here. So many of us have completely lost our connection with the rest of nature. We treat nature like some kind of background wallpaper and ignore it, not even seeing it as we pass it by.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 22:11

Kitty, you are more than welcome to come be my neighbor! I will ooooh and ahhhh over the fence at your roses and we can rose-talk for hours! My husband would probably love it too since it woulod save him from having to endure my rose chatter :)

I keep picturing all of us rose forum regulars living in one big subdivision! Would people who drive through be envious, or think we're all crazy? Personally, I would be in rosey heaven!

Tammy

o

I would love to live next to any of you. I'm pretty quiet too. I like to hear the birds sing..... and I like to bake..... and I will water your garden and all 50 bands while you are on vacation.....and walk the dog. I will help you move mulch and admire your roses' progress.
I had this dream some time back. I was looking at a big climbing rose and it had the largest ever DA style puffball roses. But they slowly changed colors as I watched. I thought that's not possible and went to ask about the name and where I could get one. The whole thing grew on an elaborate wrought iron filligree archway over a beautiful path lined with lilacs and more roses. When I woke up I was still thinking about it. The color the shape, the scent combined with the lilacs.

Then I was thinking that what I really wanted more than that rose was another continent in the Pacific (there's plenty of room!) for the wildlife and wild plants to be and off the coast of this continent I want some islands. One for each of us. No deer, rabbits, gophers, JBs, RRD thrips, etc. They are each going to have the perfect soil for roses and plenty of sandy loam. Everybody gets a waterfall and a beautiful lagoon with a soft sandy beach. Those of you that want some snow can have a mountain too. Then we can all go island to island and admire each others gardens.

o

Hi kittymoonbeam- count me in on your vision of heaven!

Also, I wanted to tell you that a jogger passed by my garden today and stopped to look and even commented on it. I just happened to be out in the front yard, or I never would have seen him stop.

People do notice and care, they just don't always stop and say so.

o

Yes, they do. I had someone stop and ask me 'when are the roses coming!'. I laughed and said, should be this week or next.

o

There are so many wonderful replies on this post, and I've enjoyed the insights, experiences and comments so much. You're a great group of people; there's so much depth and perception on this forum.

Ingrid

o

Kitty,
I certainly gave multiple hoots when I saw your pictures. I wish I lived on your street so I could see your garden in person.

Let's face it gang. This Forum is a support group. Everyone else thinks we are crazy, so we come here for counseling so we won't start agreeing with them.

I work on my garden landscape just about every day. I get comments like "what are you doing now?". The "now" is their way of indicating that, by their standards, I have surpassed the point of reason. I actually feel self conscious when I am wandering around aimlessly, just staring into my beds. OK, maybe not the first 5 times each day, but during the last 10-15 times I do feel like everyone is watching and wondering.

I love my roses, my hostas, my Siberian iris and the rest and I don't care if anyone else gives a hoot.

NOTE: I fully appreciate the concept of the Garden Guzzle. It is practiced here almost every evening during the season.

o

Harry, you're so, so right. I'm glad no one can see me going out multiple times a day to stare. Oh, I pull the occasional weed or I water, but mostly it's my fix. You totally get it. We all do. It feels so good that we are united on this. Who cares if anyone else thinks we're slightly demented. We are, but in a good way.....

Garden Guzzle, yes - diet Pepsi.

Ingrid

o

I'm a psychotherapist so I guess that entitles me to diagnose that none of us are crazy because we love our gardens and roses. In fact, we're all practicing "ecotherapy" or "horticultural therapy" and are probably saner and happier than many folks who never come in contact with the joy of nature :) So you can tell all your friends and family you've been certified sane!

o

Love all your comments!

Harryshoe's comment: I get comments like "what are you doing now?". The "now" is their way of indicating that, by their standards, I have surpassed the point of reason.

Perfect! Exactly what I experience!

Also love the comment about "wandering aimlessly"! I do it all the time!

o

How familiar! Last night my husband said, "Yeah, I saw you out there, spacing around the garden again."

o

Sidos-House- I am laughing my head off. I can hear your husband plain as day- probably because mine has said similar things to me.

Matt (dh) would holler in at me in the evenings when it was getting dark: "Mr. Miagi, are you going to come in soon?" I assume it had to do with the bonzai trees he tended to in the movie.

Thanks for the chuckle,
Marleah

o

Marleah aka Mr. Miagi:

Wax on.

Wax off.

o

Kittymoonbeam, I can only wish to have a garden as beautiful. If I lived in your neighborhood, I would CERTAINLY be stopping to tell you how blessed the rest of us were to be your neighbors!! As it is, I can only tell you here. More Pictures!! More Pictures!! :)

And harryshoe, I totally feel self conscious, too. I imagine people wonder what the heck I am looking at most of the time, let alone trying to do. For all the time I spend out there, you sure can't tell...

I imagine they must think I am not only crazy but a crazy gardener, and not a very good one.

"Horticultural therapy" it is. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

o

Kitty, I give a hoot. Your garden is just lovely! Many of my flowers are outside my (large) fence and visible more to neighbors and passers by than me. I tell myself it is my gift to the neighborhood, though sometimes I put up a chair in the driveway across the street just so I can sit and look at them all. I pretty much will talk to anyone who will listen about my roses and other flowers.

And Lottirose, thanks for mentioning the GARDEN GUZZLE- wow! I like that idea. I am going to try to recruit a few neighbors for a similar outing.

o

Kitty, your new continent post is as good as the "rose products I wish they'd invent" on the Roses Forum,

o

It is good to know that I am not alone in going out to the garden to just look.

o

There's a word "biophilia" that means the love of living things. It includes people, animals, and plants, and I associate it with a tenderness towards most life (I make an exception for mosquitos and slugs). It goes beyond gardening and I believe most people who post here share it to some degree. I almost never shovel prune anything, I think before I pull a weed and think long before I cut down a tree, a painful and rare act for me. I don't throw out rooted cuttings no matter how in excess their numbers are, and I don't squash bugs, even scorpions, if there's not a clear need. The gardeners I know are like this. In addition they are just mad to create more life: they're all crazy propagators.
I'm enjoying these comments, too. I thought Odinthor's observations were particularly interesting.

o

Well, as far as hooting, I'm into my fourth day of it on this thread.

I first started reading this and wanted to console Kitty, but I couldn't think of anything comforting enough. Second day I come back and the comforting words have all beensaid we've gone into profound and deep thinking. Okay, I'll have to think about it. That stuff comes hard for me.

Third day I come back and we've moved from profound and deep thoughts into guzzling adult beverages. Well, 2 oz of wine puts me to sleep. Must think some more.

Fourth day I'm back again and we're into wandering aimlessly around the yard. Bingo, I can add something there.

Wandering around the yard aimlessly with a far off look on my face. I know how to do that. Do if often. My husband thinks its my normal look. There, I've contributed and can come back tomorrow feeling I've done my share.

Kitty, it's a good thing we're not neighbors as I already spend too much time wandering aimlessly around my yard. If I had to wander aimlessly around your yard too, because I know it would be completely captivating... Well, I never would get the laundry done. Gean

o

Kitty, to you I give a hearty toot-toot! You are a wonderful gardener.

I love the the term "ecotherapy." I must need a lot of it because I, too, spend an enormous amount of time wandering and gazing at my garden. I'm glad it's not so odd after all!

Anne

o

I like to secretly think that people admire mine (and all of our roses) even if they don't say anything. My garden has a long way to go, but boy does it make me burst with pride during it's flush season like this. So many roses, I can't help but be happy with all the blooms.

I find it hard to believe that people just don't notice at all, though I suppose it's true. whatever, I'm enjoying it. :) :) Your garden is stunning! I'd like to see more "garden shots" :)

o

Kiity,
Do not despare WE care! You are well known for your gardening skills. I for one appreciate your good advice. Here in Tampa Bay everyone (for the most) grows hibiscus or crepe myrtle. Occasionally, you will see some orchids. I like the plants do not get me wrong. I just grow a little bit of everything from sunflowers, iris, hollyhocks, clematis, nepenthe / pitcher plants you name it.

If you were to get rid of them I'm sure people would notice really quick. I'm also sure that a lot of people love a well manicured garden. Mine isn't even super manicured and I get people stopping in all the time asking me for growing advice. ( sometimes I think it is just to get a rile out of my great danes) As long as it makes you happy, do not worry about others. You are very respected in the rose community.
Regards,
Andrew

o

Like Harborrose I've been coming back every day to avidly read this thread and then leaving without having a clear idea of what I wanted to say. But now I have it, after spending half of yesterday riding in the passenger seat doing errands with my bf, ogling the roses and gardens we passed. I wanted to speak for the shy garden admirers out there, I always notice pretty gardens but I'm never brave enough to walk up to someone and talk to them about it. I think of the houses whose gardens I know well as 'the one with the pretty yellow roses' or 'the one with the amazing climbing roses' and I'm sure there are plenty of people in your neighborhood who think of your house as the one with the fabulous gardens. It has been said by others already, but I just wanted to add that I am one of those people who silently enjoys every beautiful garden I pass and I'm pretty sure that there are more like me out there.

And don't forget about all the admirers who can't speak, the birds, bees, butterflies and other critters who call your garden home. To them it is more than just beauty, it is a life giving safe haven.

o

I'm lucky that I garden with my husband and we enjoy our garden and work together. I think gardening is a solitary pleasure. Very rarely someone else comments on it.

The children and the grandchildren enjoy the garden, perhaps more the edible things than the ornamentals, but who knows what impression the garden makes on young impressionable minds? We will make our youngest grandchild a gardener because we see her more often than the other four older grandkids. She's only 3 but she already stops to smell the flowers.

o

Marianne, I love that picture; it says everything without needing any words.

Ingrid

o

That's a sweet picture.

So, Melissa, "biophila"? Hadn't heard that term, but I try to practice it. Seems like Ahimsa. Your garden sounds like a wonderful place for every living thing :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ahimsa

o

Bluegirl,
That's an interesting article and I agree that ahimsa sounds similar to biophilia. It's a nice thought. Thanks for sharing.
Melissa

o

Biophilia and ecotherapy - what a wonderful new words. My aimless wanderings in the garden are some of my happiest and peaceful moments. Sometimes I have to force myself to leave my camera in the house, or to NOT pick out all those weeds, so I can just focus on taking in each and every plant. Harryshoe - our numbers are similar. I often use the excuse of "taking the dogs out to go potty". They really don't have to go every 30 minutes when I'm home. But I use every excuse possible to trapse outside to wander. And I LOVE this time of year, because in the evenings I get to wander much later without a headlamp.

o

Yep, I come back here every day too...

Mariannese, I love that picture too, it tells a story!

This is off the wall, but have you ever noticed that people who garden seem to be pretty happy people?

o

Let's all join in a round of the Happy Happy Rose Dance!

Still, I remind myself everyday that the rant...Yeah....nobody gives a hoot unless it's blooming. I wander aimlessly around the garden I tend, mumbling to myself, "Not like anybody is going to notice..." Mostly, I do it for myself. Recognition and appreciation is nice, but a little in short supply out here in the country. I follow my garden rules and standards. Sometimes I think I garden because I'm obsessive compulsive. There is definitely that aspect to the work. Mostly I keep at it because I love beautiful roses. I remind myself that Whatever you do intensely, you do alone.

Wandering aimlessly Is Always at the top of my to do list. You never can tell what you'll see or notice when you ramble around the garden. I'm just glad I'm working at a place where the boss doesn't care if I wander aimlessly The only thing he cares about is that the gardens look good. As long as things look good, he asks me no questions. The garden may not be my personal property, but I tend it as if it is. I'm just glad the owners pay the bills, pay me and pretty much leave us alone outside of hunting season.

o

Interesting comments, but I'm left wondering this: Who gives a hoot if nobody gives a hoot?

I garden solely for my own edification, pleasure, well-being, satisfaction . . . If I were constantly going at this toil, frustration and expense for a chorus of hoots from others, I would have abandoned my garden long, long ago.

o

I agree with you, Windeaux, ultimately I garden for myself. But there is great satisfaction and encouragement to me from sharing beauty with someone else who would receive a similar pleasure from the beauty of a garden.

If I write a book or paint a picture, I paint and write for myself, certainly not to please someone else. But to have someone else appreciate the art, the thought, the work that go into creating the book or painting brings a lot of satisfaction. I think gardening is like that.

o

I agree with you, Windeaux, ultimately I garden for myself. But there is great satisfaction and encouragement to me from sharing beauty with someone else who would receive a similar pleasure from the beauty of a garden.

If I write a book or paint a picture, I paint and write for myself, certainly not to please someone else. But to have someone else appreciate the art, the thought, the work that go into creating the book or painting brings a lot of satisfaction. I think gardening is like that.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:00

Oh, gosh, I go out "just to look" every day. I walk my roses and look them over and talk to them all the time. It's the best way to get to know them and how they grow and what they like and don't. And it's a good way to catch problems quickly. And it keeps me happy too!

o

I realized last night who enjoys the garden most, other than mom and me, and how much I enjoy watching them in the garden.

The birds.

I enjoy the teams of hummers in the neighbors tree that shades our patio. Some kind of white "orchid" tree, but it is alive with hummingbirds. They zoom back and forth between our garden flowers and that tree.

I changed out the old chain link fencing from around the veggie garden to field fencing this last week. As I was still tying it to the posts, a little hummer showed me how he could fly so easily through the new field fencing weaving in and out of the spaces. And then he landed a couple of feet from me and just sat and looked at me as if he was saying what took you so long to put in fence I like.

And the bird bath I thought was not getting any use, til I saw the towhee take such a long bath and get so wet it could hardly hop. Going from the bath to Young Lycidas to the Santa Barbara Daisy border to the back of a chair to clean up in the sun.

Those are the comments on the garden that make me smile at the end of the day.

o

The birds in my yard appreciate my garden too. I have a bird bath in the front and a small pond in the back. The birds are always very busy around here.

Kippy, when you mention an "orchid" tree, I'm wondering if you mean the bauhinia trees, which have the common name of orchid tree. There are several kinds of bauhinias and I have several in my yard. I've noticed butterflies LOVE the bauhinia acuminata. It is also called the white orchid tree. Another name of it the Mexican Orchid and Bauhinia Mexicana. They flock to this tree! I'm posting a picture of it. However, it is very hard to find in the nurseries, as I have been wanting to plant a second one. It is a great tree for wildlife here.

Love your story about the hummingbird!

o

Jasper

I am really not sure what kind of tree it is. It is next door at the townhouses, we have the northside facing us and it seems to bloom very little on our side. The flowers are white. I can see the flowers on the sides and top fairly well, but guess for a good photo I should bring a long lens. It has seed pods that in the late summer/fall start popping and cracking and I always think some kind of large animal is in the tree. It is pretty tall-30 years old but I sure enjoy the tree.

o

um, well I garden for myself also, but doesn't mean I don't get a little rush when I can do some serious boasting.

which, of course, I do......a lot.

Suzy (whose friends avoid her during June, July and August).

o

• Posted by titian1 Sydney, Australiae (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 17:03

Love the photo, Kitty. And I do know the feeling. One of my father's favourite ploys was to point at something out the window,and say it looked pretty, then when I agreed, say "No, I mean the one over the fence"!
And almost everyone who visits takes one look out the window and makes a slightly positive comment (I feel because they think it's expected of them), but never asks to wander down into it.
But my children are surprising me in a good way. My daughter says she loves what I'm creating, and even my son (who tells me he doesn't like roses), commented favourably on the combination of Ashram and meadow sage and then asked if I'd planted them together deliberately. He was quite impressed that I had!

o

A year after this thread began and I'll climb on too...

My garden mantra: "Not that anyone's going to notice!"

Sometimes my cynical side comes out as I pull weeds, clean leaves out of beds, pick up fallen camellias, deadhead roses, and trim wayward growth. I'm convinced no one notices unless something goes wrong.

Mind you, this does not deter me or even make me grumpy. I love the garden and love working in it.

o

I laughed til I cried, that was rain to my soul.
Forget the bookstore, this thread could be a NYT best seller, that is if anyone gave a hoot...
You all are the most sensitive people around. Reading your comments was like walking through a garden in full bloom.
Kitty, if I were to interpret your rose dream, I might think the
rose was your forum friends.
Linda

o

As a 23 year old guy who has only one contemporary who shares my enthusiasm for gardening -and none for roses- I can definitely sympathize! The people I talk to in person about gardening are my mom, my aunt, one of a handful of family friends, or one of my parent's neighbors.

There was an episode of King of the Hill years ago where Bobby begins to become interested in roses and his dad, Hank, is mortified that his son would be interested in such a "girly" thing. I've been jokingly called "Bobby Hill," by more than a few friends who could care less about roses. It's a running gag with a few of my bandmates by now.

But I don't care! If growing roses brings you joy -and I know it brings me joy- then that's all that matters. It's great to have all of you to share with when I have otherwise deaf ears as my audience.

Jay

o

I just started the Master Gardening program here and am among other "crazy" gardeners! Every state has one of these program; check it out. It feels good to be around others who love love love gardening!

o

Most of us seem to be in the same boat, and I count myself lucky that my husband, who is no gardener even though he planted all my roses, will stop and comment on fragrance or beauty of a particular rose, and takes great joy in my enjoyment. As far as other people are concerned, it's very, very rarely that I get much of a response, and in truth that doesn't bother me any more. The garden is really for me and the happiness it's given me can't be measured.

It may be comforting to know we're not the only ones with this complaint. I collect antique Chinese porcelain and belong to an Oriental porcelain forum, quite a few of whose members have world-class collections (I'm not one of them) that are worth many hundreds of thousands of dollars. They moan about exactly the same thing. They'll proudly show off their $50,000 rare Yonghzeng vase only to be met with an "Oh, that's quite nice" response. They might as well have picked up a reproduction at a flea market. That's why we have forums, to connect with kindred spirits who understand our passion and love as almost no one else does.

Ingrid

o

I remember last year. When I started this I thought I was going to have a miracle year but the wind came and blew it all to bits just before the peak. Just 20 minutes away, other gardens were looking like perfectly photoshopped magazine covers. I want to be grateful for anything this year and if I'm the only one who is happy with it, that will be enough. I'm just grateful that the rain is falling on our friends' gardens in No. CA and the antiques in the cherished gardens that are saving them for history.

Gardens can be fragile. I'm glad we love them as we do.

o

Kitty- that picture of Jasmina last year is making me a little bit giddy! It's just so beautiful.

And I agree with you about the poor historical gardens here in Nor. Cal. I know the Sacramento city cemetery garden is only mostly hooked up to a watering system.

o

Kitty,
Another year has passed and unfortunately your rant is as true as ever. I'm so lucky that at least my husband is fond of the garden (and works in it a lot). Maybe the rest of the world will catch up with us gardeners one day. I hope you get to enjoy your plants in their splendor this year.
Melissa

o

As I read through this thread, I can only think back to my own aimless wanderings through my own gardens. Looking for anything needing attention or just enjoying the beauty a single rose has to offer. I agree, it is absolutely therapy. Any bit of stress carried into the garden is subdued any much lighter once I turn away for the evening.
I am lucky to have a neighbor as enthralled by the garden as I. When we are both out tending, we are easily carried away with flower talk. Right now, we are looking forward to our spring so we can begin our wanderings.
I have no doubt that others who carry our passion drive by, unnoticed. They too quietly appreciate the beauty you all have given as they pass by. This is such a nice thread, there is so much we can relate to.
~René

o

• Posted by Evenie 9b - New Orleans (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 22:04

My neighbors, for the most part, hate my garden. They think I'm a crusty hipster ruining their property values by growing vegetables in my front yard. My roses aren't Knock-Outs and the mow and blow guys don't ever come by. The grass is too high, the citrus is planted too close to the house, the bananas are knocking over the fence, and there are insects of every shape and form flying everywhere. But... their children love it. The small ones always want to walk past and pick flowers, poke at bugs and pet my cats. I'm not sure what happens to most people when they get old, but I'll have no part of it. I hope the kids still think the world is beautiful when they are grown.

o

Why worry about what other people think. Do you plan the layouts of your roses so other people can see them or so YOU can see them. People will shy away from things they can't do so most likely you have a bunch of people who are envious of you. Telling you your roses look great goes against their grain. Soooo, start worrying just about what you want to see and let the whole world go on bye.

My roses (all 30 or so of ZD's were planted for my viewing many years ago. Do I worry about them not being mulched with zero weeds in the beds, NOPE. I have Bermuda grass growing around the base of each one but I could care less. Been that way for 15 or more years. If you don't like it so be it….. lol That is the attitude I suggest you take and stop worrying about what other people think. Heck, they're just jealous anyhow……

BTW, our neighbors asked us if their kids could have their graduation pictures taken with our roses as a back drop. Soooo, people do notice and enjoy them even if they don't say so.

God Bless

This post was edited by Toolbelt68 on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 12:13

o

I would love to trade places with you. My backyard is on the street where people in my neighborhood like to jog/run/walk etc. They always commented how hard I work because I was always outside. They manage to make it sound quite unpleasant. My guess is that since the majority of homeowners here have their lawn maintained by lawn maintenance company, they quite look down on people who do their own. They do not understand the satisfaction being rewarded a single rose.

o

I have that too. There is one older lady who was looking at my mulch pile on the driveway. I came over to talk with her but she just said... well, good luck with the 'farm '. I think there are more and more people who think working in the yard or garden is like working at the car wash, you wouldn't do it unless you had no other options. Thanks for everyone's contributions on this post, I hope it's a beautiful spring for all of you this year.

o

I was laboring away in the front yard the other day when a little oldish lady I always see walking with her husband waved energetically at me and said in accented English, "You work hard!" DH was outside just then and he sidled up. The lady gestured at him and asked, "He work too?" Ah, he works inside, I said (which is true -- at a desk).
Her words made me glow for a day. I love being a hard-working person, I love getting my hands into the dirt, I love having the power to bring beauty and form-- and scent -- to my environment (of course, my powers aren't all that strong ...). I love being active.

Then again, I've always been the kind of weirdo who doesn't care what anybody thinks.So was my dad (of blessed memory) and he grew figs outdoors in New York City. I'm a tyro next to him.

o

Thank you for posting your beautiful pictures! I just ordered Jasmina and I hope someday, it looks as nice as yours :)

People can be so clueless....how can they not be completely blown-over by your lovely roses? Maybe your S.O. should realize this is a big deal to you and show some appreciation! Do you make a point of taking an interest in his hobbies/passions?

o

Thank you for posting the pictures of your gorgeous roses.
I'm sincerely hoping that this hard winter doesn't do them any harm.
It's so nice after a bout of winter weather to see these blooms.
I know this is an old thread, but so pretty to look at right now.

o

In re: no one giving a hoot... Yesterday, I was in my back yard looking at my 'Will Scarlet' which is just leafing out. It's at the corner of a fence, with the gate to my yard adjacent. My eye followed a branch of the rose to the top of the brick pilaster to which the gate is attached (I look things over pretty closely), and I had occasion to state, "Why . . . why, that's a human hand!", and I abruptly opened the gate to find three high school gals, one of them steadying herself on the pilaster to take a picture of a blossom of my Bourbon 'Gustavus Vasa' which is on the other side of the fence from 'Will Scarlet'. So, yes--people notice, people give a hoot!

o

It does feel like no one quite appreciates the garden as much as you do. I have thought about that and really, I think there are garden people and non garden people. Many people appreciate other things in life more than gardens. A snazzy car or a hat with perfect lines. If everyone enjoyed gardening then we would all be gardeners and no one would be mechanics and car designers and seamstresses.

I also agree with those who have said other people appreciate it without your knowledge. I had a neighbor walk past the front garden when I was working out there last summer and she stopped to tell me how beautiful the garden was and that she tried to walk by here as often as she could for the past four years. She even told me that what she loved about it was that there was always something in bloom. She said she had a busy life, with a job and a family, but my garden has inspired her to want her own garden when she has the time.

My garden isn't anything all that special. No expensive plants or unusual specimens, but in our neighborhood, most people work and don't have time for a garden, so my garden is one of the few around. I garden for myself and my family, but one expression of appreciation like that really does go a long way of adding to your satisfaction that you are sharing the beauty of a garden with other like minded people. It is a connection. Isn't that why we are all on GW? [g]

o

Some people will never understand the beauty and worth of a garden. That's OK. I find that I can't just create in a vacuum without some praise and appreciation. It's like painting and putting your work away in the closet. I don't know anyone who can do that. We've had an open garden party for years during peak bloom time. Sharing the roses with friends and strangers has been meaningful. Here's a story that I'll never forget that I think applies to all of us gardeners.
I was listening to our local radio station interviewing this interesting woman concerning her feelings about the natural world. she had a very distinctive voice that I thought i knew but couldn't place. She was asked what the best thing was to do for the earth. She answered by telling a story about (I think) her sister who had asked the same question. Her sister deprecated herself saying she had never done anything great , but just worked in her garden. The woman told her sister about going to a rose garden. She thought it was special and beautiful and she loved it . She said when she met the gardener and praised her that the gardener said "This is all that I do" She told her sister if that's all you do you will be doing a great thing. I recognized her voice then and remembered meeting her in the garden. This has meant a lot to me. There will always be people who are touched and inspired by our gardens.

o

I agree that it is very encouraging to get positive feedback for your gardening efforts - I get plenty because we live on a busy street that has a ton of pedestrian traffic.

All gardeners of any sort should be encouraged. There is a group of 5 little 70 year old duplexes on the outskirts of our neighborhood which is right next to a freeway on ramp. They are now Section 8 housing. They have small yards of mostly grass. One year a Mexican lady moved into one. The following Spring I was amazed at her garden. She was growing tomatoes, corn, squash, peas, and zillions of flowers. This picture is only about one quarter of the garden. I arranged for our neighborhood association to give her a Certificate saying she had the most improved garden in the entire neighborhood, which was true. We had it translated into Spanish and printed, as she did not speak English.

She continued to live there and garden for about 3 years, and by the time she moved out 2 of her neighbors had started growing vegetables and flowers too!

Jackie

o

That's wonderful Jackie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here