Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Neat rose..what am I?

Alana8aSC
9 years ago

This is a rose my husband's great-gramma had. It has no scent that I can tell, and is thornless , with fern like leaves. Anything you think would be helpful. My mom called it the yellow rose of Texas, but can't find nothing to support that :)

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 19:39

Comments (12)

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    9 years ago

Alana,

This plant is not a rose, though it's in the rose family...it's kerria japonica pleniflora. It's a wonderful garden plant and there is also a single form and one with variegated leaves, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Gardening on Kerria

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! I was going by what they said. You sure nailed it :) I appreciate it.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Alana, a common name is Japanese rose. That might explain the confusion. Beautiful bloom on your plant! How wonderful that you are growing a family heirloom. Carol

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carol,

Yeah I read on the link above that was a common name, and your right, probably how it got confused. I know my mother-in-law is happy I got it doing so well. I threw some alfalfa to it like I did my other actual roses and it has four new shoots coming up :) Glad to find out what it actually is though!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just wanted to share what I thought was pretty neat, even though I'm reading this only blooms once, and that's all it usually does for me. This year it has bloomed three times! It's on it's third bloom. The second bloom had more bloom than this time, but maybe it's something it does with age? I don't know but it was nice to see unexpected blooms on it :)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That is neat. Congrats on the blooms.

How tall is your plant now?

Alana8aSC thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
  • portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Wow! That is unusual. I don't think I've seen Kerria rebloom around here. Did you know there's a variegated form with green and white leaves? Very pretty, like yours! Carol

Alana8aSC thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I WOULD SAY ITS 7 AND A HALF FOOT. IT' A PRETTY ARCHING SHRUB AND IS 4 FOOT OR SO WIDE. This is a photo of it blooming today

Edited to say, sorry for the caps up top, I did that on a cheap leftover phone of my daughter's and I'm just not that great with that kind of stuff, lol. Also that's a picture of a bloom on it yesterday.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did have a hot and dry summer this year compared to most years. We had a long mild fall, we've usually gotten cold by now, with a few hotter days. We have usually gotten colder by now, we've had a few frosts, but not our usual cold weather, but it's dry this fall too, we've not have much rain, not like normal. I think you are probably on to something though Nik, something influenced it to do this.

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Some plants that under 'normal' (for them) conditions would continue blooming long after their main spring flush, albeit sparsely, do sometimes rebloom in autumn if conditions are right and if summer was too hot and dry for them to do so... Lilacs which do not do too well in my garden because they need colder winters often rebloom in fall..

• gagalzone8
    6 years ago

Alana, it is beautiful, but invasive here. It has taken over my mothers back yard along her fence. It is a terror. Rooting everywhere it lays. I imagine you can control it as long as you keep it cut back some. It was planted by the alley before mama bought her house. (she didn't plant it) It is beautiful when it blooms!