Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 19:37

Other than Knockout, of course.
This is a sight gag. :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This post was edited by eahamel on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 19:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most Popular Own-Root Rose in my Neighborhood

I saw a particularly fine one the other day. It was trellised and everything.

o

I'm clueless you all.......Is that Dr. Huey after the budded rose died?
Susan

o

Susan, yes. I wonder how many people know that their rose has died, rather than "changing color"....

Sorry about the dark pic, it has been pretty rainy here.

o

Great rose, very cold hardy. When we bought the old farm in Ohio this was the only rose there!

o

Probably the best red climber for cold climates before the Explorers. A dream to train. It can make you think you know what you are doing, particularly after fighting a plethora of New Dawns.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:25

Yes, we have many examples of the good Dr. growing around our neighborhood too. It does put on a nice display in the spring, If the owners are happy with it why not just enjoy it?

I have one growing from my dead Dublin Bay. It's a difficult spot and doesn't get the sun it really needs for a rose but the Dr. Huey is doing quite well so I may just leave it. At least it's growing!

o

I think the rental house I am showing has a variety of them growing in the beds in the front and trellised in the backyard. The poor gardener is very proud of them... Hate to tell him that is all that is left after the way he cared for the original roses.

o

I remember several people proudly showing me that their rose had "miraculously" turned into two roses. Dr. Huey is one of the reasons I almost never buy grafted roses. He's one persistent dude! Taking off those suckers got to be quite a chore in one of my past gardens. He hasn't dared to show his face in this one!

Ingrid

o

'Dr. Phooey' outnumbers all other roses in our area three to one.

o

"Dr. Phooey", I love it!

Mad, it certainly is easier to handle than New Dawn! There's a Dr. Huey somewhere around here that's about twice the size of the one in the pic, and it's really nice looking. If it bloomed more than once a year, I'd like to have it.

Ingrid, in this part of the country, grafted roses live about 5 years, and I think it's because they're grafted onto Dr. Huey. A few years ago some of the rose society people were tarting to graft onto fortuniana. I wonder how well they did. I have a huge fort and wouldn't mind growing some cuttings to try grafting.

o

There's so much more in that photo, besides just the lovely rose. Notice the companion plant (singular), and how it really helps fill in that charming rose bed! Some people mistakenly believe that companion plants exist to hide the leggy lower reaches of a rose. Here, though, we see that myth exploded. Roses need companion plants in order that they might have COMPANIONSHIP.

Really, the picture illustrates so well, the beauty to be gained from really good edging materials. Well-defined edges are so important. Who was it that said, "If the edging materials defining your beds are strident enough, the edgings cease to be means to an end, and become, instead, ends unto themselves." I mean, what is a garden without boundaries?

And how about those foundation plantings? They really show the value of keeping everything really small. Makes the house look way bigger, if you get rid of those big evergreen shrubs. In fact, with the foundation plantings here being so low, I'd initially mistaken this home for Biltmore House, or Candy Spelling's place in Beverly Hills. As long as you're paying for the deluxe 'Antique Blend' brick, you'd be a fool to cover it up with bushes.

As an additional flourish, the rhomboid sculpture at the corner of the house playfully celebrates the point at which the brick veneer ceases and the clapboard begins. Magic!

This post was edited by plan9fromposhmadison on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 0:16

o

Hahahahaha! Good analysis! Unfortunately there are a lot of houses like this in my area. There are many undocumented Hispanics in my neighborhood. and they're totally clueless. Even the ones who make a living doing yardwork are clueless. Here's a pic of another yard very close to the one with Dr. Phooey. It's an improvement, but....
I posted this pic to the "Crimes Against Horticulture" facebook page. Note the agaves planted under the oak tree.

o

I've told this before, but I was riding around one spring with a friend and kept seeing Dr. Huey everywhere, not knowing what it was. Seeing it everywhere I kept wondering, what made it so popular?

Then I visited someone who had that same wine-red rose growing in a spot where Angel Face had been the year before. In fact I could still see the canes (now dead) of Angel Face. That's when it dawned on me--rootstock!

As far as people's gardening tastes and efforts, I'm happy to see someone make any attempt, however small, at gardening. Far too many people have uninterrupted expanses of lawn because it's "easier to mow." A friend of a friend from England was reported to have said that she didn't understand the propensity of Americans to sit a house down in the middle of a huge lot and proceed to grow nothing but grass.

o
EAHAMEL, You Are Out of Line!

It is not necessary for you to make derogatory remarks about an ethnic group to get your point across.

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 10:45

Wow, racism and unprovoked snark are not attractive anywhere, but least of all on a gardening forum. (Harry, I see you just beat me to it -- allow me to elaborate on your point.)

Like most rose people, I find the Dr. Huey phenomenon amusing, and it does usually arise from people being clueless (but it is a handsome plant, so at least it's not like growing Italian thistle or some such in your yard) but I think these last two posts (plan9 and eahamel) are way off the mark.

First, I doubt the folks living in the house in the first photo are passing their yard off as a great horticulture. The majority of homeowners, I would say, could care less about gardening (as is their right) and thus only do the minimum, or have more pressing concerns. If they were making such a claim, pointed critique might be in order (even then, in most cases, it's kinder to say nothing at all, unless it's part of a garden judging show). Otherwise, it's rather low and pointless humor, plus I am sure all of us have had garden ideas that didn't work out so well. Either of you care to post photos that prove the brilliance of your own garden design?

Second, blanket assumptions and statements about people based on race are inevitably wrong factually (I know some pretty good "Hispanic" gardeners...) and repugnant in any case (gee, maybe even some of the people on GardenWeb are "Hispanic"...). I also know of some white and Asian mow-and-blow outfits that are clueless. In any case, I don't see what being documented or undocumented has to do with gardening.

Lastly, my elderly Mom was once an excellent gardener whose garden has declined along her health and there has been a lot of Dr. Huey among her roses in the past few years, which she finally allowed me to tackle this spring. Care to make fun of her?

Debbie

This post was edited by catspa on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 10:48

o

Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 12:19

The lady on the corner of the next block from me had an enormous, old DH growing up, through and around an even bigger lilac bush. Every spring the two would happily and beautifully bloom away together. After a while I noticed that she had two other types of climbers growing up bushes in her yard. All because she was so proud of her DH/lilac combo!

I'm with bellegalica, I'm happy to see any attempts at gardening. Sometimes those attempts aren't to my taste but at least they've tried. And who knows, those first stabs at roses may lead to more, and eventually those same people may end up here looking for help and answers. Everybody starts somewhere. If it's with Dr. Huey then so be it. I try to withhold judgment on other's yards. You never know what challenges they're facing. Just keeping that plain yard neat and clean may be all they can do or afford. As long as it's neat and they're happy with it, so am I.

As for yard art, well, some people do get carried away. But I'm sure they enjoy them and it's their yard so what the heck. I have some yard art myself and I'd bet my last dime there are people who think it's the tackiest stuff ever. But it's all things I've collected over the years and I love it!

o

I found Plan9 humor fun, it was just in jest and not meant as an actual horticultural review. I am sure most of us could sit back and write a similar review of our own yards.

Personally, I have a variety of garden "scenes" that I know would probably put me on the crimes against horticulture website. Like my persimmons that have been ruthlessly stubbed-because I can not pick goo-balls 30 feet in the air. Or the Zapote that I would love to kill, but nothing kills them so it got stubbed to a shape that reminded me of a lizard head-that was the direction I wanted the shade. It is growing back so fast I have already had to thin it out and in a year you will never know how bad it looked.

Mom also took take of her favorite single red for years, never knowing it was rootstock. She thought the red rose had put out some different buds.

I know I have a whole bed of it here that my gardener tends and when I moved in my place, the previous resident told me all about her glorious red rose she lovingly trained across a trellis-never mind it only bloomed once a year.

Many people have no idea what "grafting" means. And if you move in a place that the first bloom you see is red/single you would assume that rose was meant to be a red single.

A landscaper friend is very proud of his tall tree roses in pots that have a red single trained to drape over the top of the pot.

o

I went to the Fullerton Arboretum Green Scene Sunday and there was a wonderful large bush of Dr. Huey in the back just smothered in bloom. It was not sprawling on the ground but was a self supporting tall vase shape with the flowering canes flowing gracefully from the top.

o

eahamel--

Calling you out on your racism.

It's the 21st Century--people don't talk like that in polite company.
If you actually believe things like that (really? shame on you!), you need to keep it to yourself!

o

The Fullerton Arboretum Dr. Huey by the outhouse in back. SDLM is making a comeback too after years of hard pruning.

o

I think it looks pretty. It just needs some little flowers at the base. Maybe White Pet.

o

Kippy, re "persimmons that have been ruthlessly stubbed", I haven't heard that term before. Is that something like pollarding? Lou

o

Lou, yes, I beheaded them....lol And they are growing back nicely at a reasonable height. Dad LOVED having the tallest ______ tree (fruit) of course he never picked them.

o

Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:21

Oh, Kitty, those are lovely photos!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here