Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Vintage Gardens final release this Sundayt

rosefolly
10 years ago

There has been much interest in this event. I was talking to Gregg Lowery earlier today, and he told me that the list of roses will go up later tonight. In order to give everyone a chance to review the selections, the sale itself will start at Monday Evening, April 28th, at 7 PM, PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME. (Please note that this is a correction from my original post.)

Wishing the very best to all of you.

Folly

This post was edited by rosefolly on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 1:34

Comments (51)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I just wish you got more than a few hours notice.... But will be looking forward to the list.

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have just received the official announcement in my email, as will others on the mailing list. Ordering will start at Monday Evening, April 28th, AT 7 PM, PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME , not 8 on Sunday as I had earlier thought.

That is good because it will give people more time to go over the rose list.

Feeling rather sad about this.

Folly

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Gardens final release

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Those of you who have ordered from these last sales of Vintage, which is the best way to order, online or by email? I think I read that some people had trouble with the website last time, but won't the orders from the website go through first, before they can go through all the emails?

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

I've been wondering what happens next, especially with some of the really rare roses still in the collection. Aren't all of them now owned by Friends of Vintage Gardens? I assume they will be tending the roses from now on, but does it mean they will never ever propagate any of them so these plants truly won't be offered again in the future? Or will they sometimes show up in rose educational events and/or auctions????

Melissa

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

This is my first year venturing into the realm of O.G.R.'s, so many of you can relate to my excitement in that respect, and sadness regarding Vintage.

A few months ago, I called Vintage to inquire about their sale or an order; I really do not remember which, but what I do remember is the customer service response.

I was called on the phone (YES PHONED) by a man who not only answered all of my questions, but made me feel as though I was an important customer. He actually even offered to add my name to a mailing list so I would not miss out on anything offered in the future; and, he followed through. I later found out who the Gregg Lowery I spoke to that day is relative to Vintage.

The two roses that I have received from Vintage have been remarkably healthy and of a good size for bands. They were also carefully packaged.

We actually need more businesses that exude a love for what they do, value their customers, plus, stands behind their processes and products. It is unfortunate to lose such a business.

I am looking forward to the sale.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 23:57

• mashamcl
    10 years ago

Vintage has been such a wonderful source of rare roses. I will always be grateful for the many treasures that are living in my garden because of Vintage's work to make them more widely available.

This is Souvenir de Madame Boullet, one of the roses in tomorrow's release (mine needs to go into the ground):

{{gwi:254763}}

Masha

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    10 years ago

How do you get the list? I signed up for emails, but never received anything, not even in spam. I don't feel qualified to take on the care of a rare rose, but I'd love to see what they have.

jannike

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jannike, I posted the list in my message above, where it says "Vintage Gardens final release" in blue. Click on that and it will take you there.

Folly

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I am so happy they added time!

I hope that any of you that have these roses on list will post your experiences so that they can hopefully all find homes.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Did I just see Windermere on that list? I couldnt find what R stands for in the PDF, but I assume this is a Rugosa and not the David Austin rose available for ~$7 at Home Depot?

Musa~

Update: I see this is actually in the Rambler class and was introduced in 1932.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windermere (1932) at HMF

This post was edited by musaboru on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 23:07

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

Melissa, I have also wondered if the Friends of Vintage Gardens organization will do fund-raising by selling custom-propagated plants. It would be a good way for them to finance the care of the gardens, and further their goal of helping rare roses to survive.

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

How soon do they debit funds from your account?
    If I order online, does the computerized system debit my account immediately? What if I don't get the 1 rose available?

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Windermere looks very nice

So does Curly Pink if you are in the cold areas

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, Folly.

jannike

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Melissa, the Friends of Vintage Roses hopes to be able to sell some roses in the future. The details are far from worked out. We will have a presence at The Celebration of Old Roses this year probably selling some roses in five gallon pots that are extra to the collection.
    Musaboru, The R by Windermere is for Rambler. It's a big beautiful wine colored climber named many years before the Austin rose.

• nastarana
    10 years ago

I hope whomever buys Tiara will make cuttings or plants available some day. I had rather not own the only Tiara in existence because it would likely be iffy in my climate, but I would like one someday.

OTOH, Hybrid Perpetuals do rather well here and Vintage is offering some nice ones.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

I'm really hoping to get a 'Mistress Bosanquet' and possibly either 'Madame Melanie Willermoz' or 'Dr. Debat.' I wish 'James Veitch' and some of the reddish HPs had a better shot of succeeding here, but I won't try to get something that will probably fail in the long run. Good luck everyone! If I do get any of my selections, this will be my first and last order from Vintage. I'd really like to grow a piece of their legacy even if I missed the peak years.

Jay

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Considering how many people on this forum will be seeking out hard-to-find roses tonight, I am hoping that whatever we get will get posted here. That way, whatever we DON'T get, we'll know someone who has it. And another plea -- if you DO get something not available elsewhere, PLEASE add it to your HelpMeFind garden entry. At least that way, perhaps cuttings could be exchanged in a couple years. Perhaps you can even inquire at other nurseries if they'd be interested in cuttings to grow a mother plant and add it to their future inventory.

One last plea -- no one order the following so I can get them for myself (hehe):

Black Velvet
    Liebesglut
    Night 'n' Day
    Papa Meilland VID

Good luck, everyone!

:-)

~Christopher

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

What time for central standard?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I'm confused about ordering from this special offer. I read the directions on the list of roses and they said you could order off the website. I thought you probably could go to the website and have an order ready to go in the shopping cart with all your information entered and then just click the send button at the right time. Yet when I just tried to add a rose to the shopping cart, it shows a $45. price, when the final release list of roses, specifies $20, or $30 prices.

Sorry, I'm sure it's a lot easier than I'm making it. [g]

They also suggest you can order by email, is anyone thinking this would be an easier more reliable way to have a chance of getting the rose I want?

Thanks

• User
    10 years ago

I'm shaking my head at myself.

There's nothing on the list I'm DYING to have, but I feel like I have to try for something just to get in on the excitement.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My email is ready to send.....

Prairiemoon email them instead or wait??? til the prices change on the website?

• new_garden Tindall
    10 years ago

Sent. I hope it was received at 9pm. LOL

15 were on my list so we shall see. Lol

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Sent 7:00pm on the dot

Let's see what I get from my list:

Waretown Mystery (HCh)

President Dutailly (HP)

Anna Scharsach (HP)

Caecilie Scharsach (HP)

Mme. Victor Verdier (HP)

"Thomasville Old Gold" (T)

Brenda (E)

Light Pink Eglantine from SJHRG (E)

Gloire des Polyantha (Pol)

Would also love to know in advance what 5gal roses will be available at the Celebration of Old Roses.

I have no idea where to put the above roses but couldn't resist.

Diane

• User
    10 years ago

The website must be overloaded. All I get is system error.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I have always ordered by email. Seems to work good as my order was always received. I put down quite a few on my list - hoping I will get some of what I want. So sad that this will really be the last order.......just cant imagine not having Vintage to go to for rare roses. Hope everyone gets what they want.

I have spoken to Greg Grant at SFA University in Nacogdoches, Tx about doing cuttings of any of these roses. Hopefully, he will avail himself of the opportunity and maybe start offering them at the spring and fall sales that SFA has.

Good luck to everyone.
    Judith

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Mine went through (as far as I can tell) for the four I mentioned previously. We'll find out in a few days.

:-)

~Christopher

• fogrose
    10 years ago

I emailed mine. Who knows if that helps get to the front of the line.

Diane

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

I like your list Diane! If you don't get President Dutailly, I have it from Eurodesert and can possibly supply a sucker next year. It's a beautiful rose. I also grow Light Pink Eglantine from SJHRG. My favorite eglantine, just superb. The one on your list I don't have but covet is Brenda. I'd been on the notification list from Vintage if it ever was in stock, but before this, nope. However, with my pot ghetto already overfull with roses and with a big group of newly-arrived CA native plants plus more on order, I couldn't justify trying for yet another rose. If you get Brenda, please let me know how she does for you.

Melissa

• User
    10 years ago

After getting a few system error messages at the website I emailed my order in, but it was probably too late. Not expecting anything...

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

I put in an order on the website and got an email back right at 7. We'll see how it goes!

I placed it for the one I most wanted, and whichever rose my mom picked. It ended up being:

Mistress Bosanquet - my choice
    Caecilie Scharsach - her choice

I indicated a few alternatives if either doesn't go our way. It looks like you and my mom both want Caecilie, Diane. Of all those listed that weren't available elsewhere, it came down to Caecilie and Dr. Debat for her. She felt stronger about Caecilie before I ordered. If it comes here, I will truly do my best to ensure its success in order to make it available by cutting to others.

As Chris has said, it'd be great to know who ends up with these roses so as to try to share them with either nurseries or others on the site in the future.

Dr. Debat, Miss Atwood, and Miranda were our top 3 substitutes. It'd be great to know who ends up with Dr. Debat and Miranda in particular. Or who has those and could share cuttings.

Jay

• mashamcl
    10 years ago

Did anyone figure out what the surprise roses are?? Gregg sure keeps us on our toes :)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I emailed my order, only picked two that I thought should do the best here. Both Nabonnand roses

Paul Nabonnand
    Papillion

Of course Ingrid's photo of Miss Attwood earned her a spot as an alternative

• Rosefool/Karen 8b, central Texas
    10 years ago

I kept getting error messages on the website, so I emailed my order. Hoping for Papa Meilland and Callisto!

10 years ago

Jay, I have a potted Dr. Debat from a previous order. It has a bloom on it now - by fall, should have grown enough hopefully to share cuttings, so let me know if you would like one. Happy to share. It is a beautiful rose!
    Judith

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the offer, Judith! Pending how this order shakes out, I may have to take you up on that. I got several wavering texts from my mom throughout the day, but she thought it'd be more interesting to give a HP a shot than another HT. Caecilie Scharsach, Dr. Debat, and Elisa Boelle were her top three, but the pictures of Caecilie just had something apparently. It will be pampered in every which way if it comes here.

Dr. Debat appears wonderfully variable on HMF. How would you describe the color of the current bloom? The photos on HMF seem almost like a cross between Peace or Rosette Delizy and Distant Drums. The latter two being some of her favorite roses.

Jay

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Hi Melissa. Thanks for the offer of a sucker of President Duitally!. Have no idea what to expect in terms of what I will get. My email says "sent 7:00pm" so my fingers are crossed. Glad to hear about the Light Pink Eglantine as well. I'm falling in love with Eglantines.

I hope that somehow everyone gets what they're dreaming of.

Diane

• zaphod42
    9 years ago

Diane -
    President Dutailly and Mme. Victor Verdier were on my list as well along with Louise Cretté. I was only looking for one plant though so I hope I get one and you get the other. Maybe in a couple years we'll be able to exchange cuttings.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

At this point in time, with the demise of so many rose providers I think it's a good idea if we all practice how to root roses so we can share cuttings with each other.

Zaphod42, I think Vintage had 2 plants of President Duitally! We may both be in luck.

Diane

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sent in an email order at around 7:30 for "Thomasville Old Gold". I have long admired it and it has not been available recently. If I get it, I will find a place for it.

Folly

9 years ago

Sunday, I spent some time researching roses on the list and selected a few. Not having much space left for roses, yesterday afternoon, I decided not to participate in the sale. Well, at 7:20, my emotions got the best of me, I decided what the h*ll, and ordered 5 or 6 roses anyway. If I receive any roses it was meant to be.

With one exception, all of the roses are all on the smaller side in size. Whatever I receive, if I am lucky enough to get any of my selections, will reside in decorative pots, unless we move, and then it will be going with me to larger rose garden:)

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 18:25

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I hope people post as they hear what they were able to purchase and if there are gems left unsold that we get that up dated too

9 years ago

For those of you who are not on the Vintage e-mail list and ordered yesterday ( I don't remember if orders were internet or e-mail only)

I just received an e-mail from Vintage. They are taking all roses off the site temporarily, as they match plants with orders and send pre-confirmations. This should take about two days according to the communication. I am assuming what is left will be over will be posted. The message went out to everyone on their e-mail list whether there was an order placed or not.

Lynn

• new_garden Tindall
    9 years ago

Someone mentioned it above, but I was the lucky buyer of Tiara.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Melissa, I did get Brenda, so if she makes it cuttings will be yours in the future. I didn't get President Duitally so we can trade.

I got:
    Warehouse Mystery
    Brenda
    Light Pink Eglantine from SJHRG
    Gloire des Polyantha

Diane

• raingoaway12
    9 years ago

Last night the final release was posted on Vintage Gardens website. Many import roses are part of this final release. An email of the roses remaining was sent last night to those on their mailing list. I think the final day to have orders shipped is May 26th. If you do a search for all price points for roses on their site, all the available roses in stock should show up.

9 years ago

I was up late last nite when the email came in. I ordered 13 more......I have no idea where I will plant these treasures, but had to make a final order.........wish they'd had more of the roses in the other categories..........but I am happy if I can get any of these rare beauties and am glad I have the space to be able to make the beds to put them in. Losing Vintage is such a loss to the rose world. They cant be replaced - though there are others who are offering lovely rare roses - Vintage was one of a kind, doubt there will ever be a repeat of their marvelous nursery. Hope you all get some roses you love.
    Judith

• nastarana
    9 years ago

I also was up at midnight and got the email. I ordered four, with a long list of alternates.

No albas, alas, but many rare hybrid perpetuals.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I was shut out from the previous one. Several of the teas are very interesting and not available elsewhere. I really hope they aren't all sold out again as this would represent my only Vintage order ever, but I doubt I'll get any of my selections if people emailed in massive orders again. It'd be nice, but it's not the end of the world.

Jay

• jaxondel
    9 years ago

OMG ... This ceaseless sturm und drang. Will it ever end?