Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

Deer - once bloomers

vettin
10 years ago

Of course they would eat the buds off climbing American beauty. Hopefully they forget about my yard and leave the roses on the other side alone.....

Comments (7)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I don't know how you stand it - I'd be in tears every time they ate the flowers off a bush. So many of you have this problem and I admire how you keep trying, with different remedies of all kinds, to grow your roses.

Ingrid

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

You have my sympathies! We now have deer for the first time and I'm finding out from personal experience what a nightmare they are.

• trospero
    10 years ago

Here, deer are widely referred to as "Hooved Slugs", recognizing their ability to do immense damage to gardens. A 10 foot fence is the only real solution.

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

I can relate to your loss. Last year the deer visited while we were out for a week. It must have been a whole family as not one bloom or bud remained on 100 or so young roses - not even the standards. They also cut the baby camellia by half and had a great time chomping the Swiss chard to one inch stubs (it did recover, much to my surprise). We are now using the dish soap and hot sauce spray with some success -- or else the deer are sated with the bumper crop of acorns. You can find the recipie on the Heirloom roses website.

Now, as to my gopher issue, it's traps and cats.

This post was edited by nancylee2 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:19

• mariannese
    10 years ago

No deer damage on roses yet, too early here, but this morning all my tulips were eaten to the ground. There will be no Queen of Night or White Triumphator in my garden this spring. Worst of all is that I blame myself for not having protected them.

• hartwood
    10 years ago

For a smaller garden, and a definite objective like keeping the deer off the buds of once bloomers, some of my northern Virgina garden club members are reporting good success with repellents. One has been rotating use of Bobex and Liquid Fence to keep deer off of plants that have been browsed and/or eaten to the ground in previous years, and has had no damage so far. Fingers crossed. Spraying the roses with a scent deterrent may be a good choice ... though it's a difficult compromise between stinky roses and no roses at all..

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!