Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'Dragon's Blood'

jerijen
12 years ago

Might be off Topic, I guess, but 'Grandmother's Hat' is one of her parents -- and in fact it fascinates me that a color like this could have come from GH!

We saw this poor little plant at a rose society meeting in January -- in a 5-in pot, and pruned to about 4-inches. We felt so sorry for her, we brought her home.

Now, PART of why we brought her home was that I checked HelpMeFind, and learned that she was a Paul Barden rose, and bred from G'Hat. How could I resist?

So she's grown like a weed, is completely disease-free (no surprise there) has beautiful foliage, and wants to bloom. This is the first bloom opened:

{{gwi:254852}}

I was going to get a shot of the whole spray, but Katie ate them. :-)

Jeri

Comments (12)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    12 years ago

Wowzers,

• jerijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah. That was MY reaction. Now, I don't know exactly where I'm going to put it, for visual separation from clashing colors, but something that looks like that, and is that clean, well -- it's for sure got a home HERE.

Jeri

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

wow, really deep color!

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I love that color!! I've looked at Dragon's Blood many times on the RVR website. Paul Barden seems to put his new introductions through vigorous trials before releasing them commercially, which I think is great for the consumer.

I think it would be great mixed in with my species rose "Dragon Wings." It would bring lovely color blooms to those beautiful wing-like thorns Dragon Wings has. Plus, how many other roses are named after dragons?

It would also look very nice with a cream colored rose I think....

Tammy

• jerijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Name-wise -- 'White Pearl In Red Dragon's Mouth.'

But it is red, so colorwise, it won't work. :-)

Jeri

Anyhow, I am very glad that this baby strayed my way. I'd not have gone out to look for it, but now that I have it, I am very pleased.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

Oooh la la! Quite a rose. Glad it found a happy home with you.

• spiderlily7
    12 years ago

It's a wonderful rose here in my 8B/9A south Louisiana garden. I positioned it next to some russets (Brown Velvet, Rusty, Smoky, Hot Cocoa) plus tan and grey roses such as Aschermittwoch. Looks fabulous.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Oh, Jeri, I think it's gorgeous! Do find a good spot for it!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Oooh. What a beauty!

kay

• jerijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's still in a container. Now, I am more than half inclined to plant it in one of the very large containers we have. I'll find a spot for it, because it's too good not to keep. A striking rose.

It WAS funny tho -- I went out there to see if the other buds on that stem had opened, and there were four little "necks" where there used to be bloom and buds.

I KNOW Katie ate them, the little devil. ;-) So I guess it must also be tasty.

Jeri

• Terry Crawford
    12 years ago

Jeri, I've grown 'Dragon's Blood' for about 4 years in Zone 5. It's proven to be winter-hardy and depending on the winter...mostly cane-hardy. I don't winter protect at all either; just oak mulch at its feet.

I find its blooms start out russet in the Spring and then tend to deepen to red-orange as Summer progresses. I garden in BS-central, so I do have to spray. It gets about 3' tall and maybe as wide.

One of the things I like about 'Dragon's Blood' is its open, airy, graceful artistic growing form....fits its' name. Very unique and one of my favs.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Terry Jean -- I suspect that if I give it some afternoon shade, in our generally-cool climate, it may be less-red-orange. And I suspect that, with no winter, it may be a little bigger.
    This is not a color-class that I normally favor, but there are exceptions to every rule. I may have just the right spot for it, too -- near roses that are mostly white, and where I will pass it daily. :-)

Jeri

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County