Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique rose in Argentina -- any guesses?

Posted by Petaloid SoCal 10a/24 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 20:02

An internet friend in Argentina has posted myriad photos of this mystery antique rose on pinterest (link below).

It looks so familiar to me, and I am hoping someone here knows its name:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery OGR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique rose in Argentina -- any guesses?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 20:05

Pretty rose. I wish I could help.

o

Petaloid -- Can you ask your friend for more info, and more pix?

More bloom pix, taken at various stages, Pix of whole leaves, incl. All leaflets and stipule. Unopened buds, new and old wood, prickles, whole plant. Info -- describe bloom color (different screens show this differently).

Fragrance, remontancy??? Any other descriptive info.

At one of our noted So-Cal Ranchos, the Olivas Family had two rose gardens. All long gone, now. But Sra. Olivas' roses were said to have been shipped to her from Argentina.

I tend to think they came from France, via Argentina, but no proof either way.

There is or was a National rose society in Argentina. I corresponded with them some years back, re the Olivas roses to no avail. But in this, they could be helpful.

Jeri

o

Jeri, here I share the link of the original post with ALL the information you requested. Take into account that the link of the album post by Petaloid contains almost 100 pictures to see, you just have to go through the "forward" button.

In reference to the Argentinean Rose Society (AAR), it is still active in Argentina but, seriously, they leave much to be desired...

My warmest greetings from Buenos Aires.
Mariano

White blend rose ID

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Post

o

There are 97 photos of the rose posted, which you can see if you click on the photo. IMHO, it's not all that "antique". It appears rather modern to me, and is quite possibly a Hybrid Tea. Which variety, who knows? All roses in the Southern Hemisphere have been imported from the Northern Hemisphere and this could easily be something European which we've never grown in the US. Kim

o

Dear Kim,

Not ALL the roses in the Southern Hemisphere have been imported from the Northern Hemisphere. Actually I once considered 'Souvenir de Fausto Cardoso' (1918), a HP hybridized in Brazil (South America). The 1928 American Rose Annual (published by the American Rose Society) contains an article titled "Roses in Brazil" by Mrs Paul C. Schilling, in which Mrs. Schilling discussed its beauty. Apparently, SFC was never introduced in the US.

Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere! ;)
Mariano

o

Thanks, Mariano. Perhaps, I misspoke. As there are no indigenous rose species south of the Equator, all rose material was originally imported to the Southern Hemisphere from the Northern Hemisphere. What anyone has done with them after that, I have no idea. I'm glad there has been some breeding accomplished there. It would be lovely if more South American rose breeding could be documented and added to Help Me Find - Roses, the world's largest, most complete rose database. Thanks! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find - Roses

o

Well, it is lovely.
To me, it "feels" more like an early HT than an HP -- but those prickles are beyond gorgeous.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here