Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petaloid

Antique rose in Argentina -- any guesses?

petaloid
11 years ago

An internet friend in Argentina has posted myriad photos of this mystery antique rose on pinterest (link below).

It looks so familiar to me, and I am hoping someone here knows its name:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery OGR

Comments (7)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Pretty rose. I wish I could help.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Petaloid -- Can you ask your friend for more info, and more pix?

More bloom pix, taken at various stages, Pix of whole leaves, incl. All leaflets and stipule. Unopened buds, new and old wood, prickles, whole plant. Info -- describe bloom color (different screens show this differently).

Fragrance, remontancy??? Any other descriptive info.

At one of our noted So-Cal Ranchos, the Olivas Family had two rose gardens. All long gone, now. But Sra. Olivas' roses were said to have been shipped to her from Argentina.

I tend to think they came from France, via Argentina, but no proof either way.

There is or was a National rose society in Argentina. I corresponded with them some years back, re the Olivas roses to no avail. But in this, they could be helpful.

Jeri

• nanito
    11 years ago

Jeri, here I share the link of the original post with ALL the information you requested. Take into account that the link of the album post by Petaloid contains almost 100 pictures to see, you just have to go through the "forward" button.

In reference to the Argentinean Rose Society (AAR), it is still active in Argentina but, seriously, they leave much to be desired...

My warmest greetings from Buenos Aires.
    Mariano {{gwi:249598}}White blend rose ID

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Post

• roseseek
    11 years ago

There are 97 photos of the rose posted, which you can see if you click on the photo. IMHO, it's not all that "antique". It appears rather modern to me, and is quite possibly a Hybrid Tea. Which variety, who knows? All roses in the Southern Hemisphere have been imported from the Northern Hemisphere and this could easily be something European which we've never grown in the US. Kim

• nanito
    11 years ago

Dear Kim,

Not ALL the roses in the Southern Hemisphere have been imported from the Northern Hemisphere. Actually I once considered 'Souvenir de Fausto Cardoso' (1918), a HP hybridized in Brazil (South America). The 1928 American Rose Annual (published by the American Rose Society) contains an article titled "Roses in Brazil" by Mrs Paul C. Schilling, in which Mrs. Schilling discussed its beauty. Apparently, SFC was never introduced in the US.

Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere! ;)
    Mariano

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mariano. Perhaps, I misspoke. As there are no indigenous rose species south of the Equator, all rose material was originally imported to the Southern Hemisphere from the Northern Hemisphere. What anyone has done with them after that, I have no idea. I'm glad there has been some breeding accomplished there. It would be lovely if more South American rose breeding could be documented and added to Help Me Find - Roses, the world's largest, most complete rose database. Thanks! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find - Roses

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Well, it is lovely.
    To me, it "feels" more like an early HT than an HP -- but those prickles are beyond gorgeous.

Jeri