Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting down two older rugosa's

Posted by thorn_grower Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 20:16

These two shrubs are 14-16 yrs old, Jens Munk was about 8 ft. and leaning 45 degrees, being crowded out by a tree which has been removed. Henry Hudson about 6 ft tall. Both are woody big trunks. I took jens munk down to about 2 and a half feet. and henry maybe 1 and a half. which seems about right to me but maybe i should have taken jens munk down more. Is that far enough what do you guys think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting down two older rugosa's

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 17:34

I think with the shading tree removed those two should bounce back and be beauties!

o

I agree with Seil. Rugosas have great bounce-back in my experience. As your plants put out new canes, you can selectively prune out the older ones in time. So, if you are wondering about keeping a big, woody cane in the midst of others that are in better proportion, you can prune it out later. Both plants should be great as they grow in the light. Good ol' rugosas! Carol

o

Thanks for your thoughts. THE TREE IS GONE....What possibilities....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here