Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debflo

Help Identifying Old Rose

Deb
9 years ago

Found on old country road. Growing in part shade.
No scent. My 7 sisters are not blooming, and
this rose is about a mile away, so don't think this
is the same. The pic of the rose without the sunlight
(right pic, bottom bloom) is closest to the true color.
No thorns on the one picked, and I didn't wade further
into the bush. Sprawling growth.
I have only noticed the blooming in spring.
Suggestions ??? Thanks Everyone! Deb

Comments (13)

• albinnibla
    9 years ago

I don't know, but I rustled some from a rose looking amazingly similar coming home from work today, and am attempting to strike eight little cuttings in a pot.
    Its growth habit reminds me of a Once blooming Bourbon.
    Mine has that delicious fruity rosy bourbon scent, too.
    It fades from vivid pink to a nice mauve lavender

• Deb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks albinnibla, the fragrance is very light, and musty, almost like a florist carnation.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

It looks like a China to me just based on what I can see. Could it be Archduke Charles or even Old Blush? What size are the blooms?

• rinaldo
    9 years ago

I know this rose, but it usually is fragrant. The flowers are attractive but not especially substantial. I always assumed it was Shailers Provence. It suckers freely and when possible taking a sucker with a few roots is a better route to go than cuttings.--Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Shailers Provence on HMF

• rinaldo
    9 years ago

By the way, this rose may only bloom once a year, but the blooms are plentiful and it will grow not only in considerable shade, but also within the dripline of a black walnut!

• Deb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rinaldo and Patricia for your suggestions. After researching these, the "Shailers Provence" is very close, BUT! there is no scent other than very slight carnation smell.
    Think I will make another trip today to see if I can find thorns, approx. height, and spreading traits.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Shailer's Provence is a centifolia. I am sure Texans have probably grown them but not as likely as it would be a China in that area. I would send a picture to Chamblees. They will know immediately.

• rinaldo
    9 years ago

If it only blooms once, obviously it is neither of the roses you suggest Patricia. I only suggested Shailers because mine was found in Gladewater, TX.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

You are in all likelihood right. I think it would be good to know how large or small the bloom but (interestingly enough) maybe my Cl Old Blush is Shailer's because it only blooms once and looks exactly like this rose and it came from Tyler, Texas.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Wondering if it could be Scottsville Rose? Mine is blooming now, and it looks similar. It was found near Marshall, Tx. Send photo to Greg Grant @ SFA University arboretum in Nacogdoches - he can tell you.
    Judith

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Do as Alameda says but measure the bloom and count petals and get good pictures of sepals, leaves, etc.

• albinnibla
    9 years ago

I would say the blooms are about 2.5 - 3" in diameter, are carried in 2 to 3 on a lateral stems, coming off the main lax. arching canes. The leaves are larger, and serrated on the edges, but the new growth is not red, as Chinas can be. Where the leaves meet the stem, they have that little V-leaf. It was not very thorny, if at all.
    The sepals are rather long, with the buds being globular.

• albinnibla
    9 years ago

Okay, after looking on HMF, I am pretty sure Rinaldo correctly ID'd the rose. Shailer's provence looks just like the one I got. :) Thanks!